Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Seamy Fitz

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Ah, my bad! I completely missed the point so, I thought the whole sarcasm was being directed at Frank rather than the journalist.

What the Frank! Ken is obsessed.

You’re not completely missing the point. I think the journalist is getting this managerial gold from Lampards Media People. So Kens sardonic comments are about Lampard effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ken reading out excerpts from that laughable Lampard article made me very glad that I cancelled my athletic subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Arghus wrote: »
    Ken reading out excerpts from that laughable Lampard article made me very glad that I cancelled my athletic subscription.

Same here. I found a large amount of their pieces to be like that. Wasn't a fan at all

Same here. I found a large amount of their pieces to be like that. Wasn't a fan at all

Maybe worth it if you followed American sports, maybe. There just wasn't enough football content there to shell out a tenner a month for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I got the yearly subscription for $30 last year. Just about to run out now. It's great if you have the time to sit down and read a few articles. They're usually pretty lengthy though. I'll renew if I get a similar deal again. There seems to always be offers so you'd be mad to pay full whack. Think I actually have five free 30 day passes on my account so if anyone wants one send me a PM with your phone number/email and I'll try pass it on. I don't get anything from it btw, just rather give them to someone than have them go to waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Thought the Jamie Wall char was excellent. A very rough story but he is certainly remaining positive. Not sure my mindset would be quite so positive, fair play to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

First clip of the George Gibney series on the SC instagram and twitter pages. Looks like the makings of an excellent, informative documentary

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Obrieski wrote: »
    Thought the Jamie Wall char was excellent. A very rough story but he is certainly remaining positive. Not sure my mindset would be quite so positive, fair play to him!

I remember seeing him in a club hurling game 10 years ago and the lad had serious talent. Bursting with pace and well able to take a score. Think he got 4 points that day. He had the potential to make it as a Cork senior hurler and by all accounts he was a better footballer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

Eoin once again demonstrating his mastery of the sensitive interview, the recent Racheal Denhollander one was another great example. There's no-one better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭sheroman01

First clip of the George Gibney series on the SC instagram and twitter pages. Looks like the makings of an excellent, informative documentary

Don't know much about it but really looking forward to it.

They talked about it on the Sunday Review on Off The Ball a few weeks ago. Joe Molloy was just saying how it sounds great etc, but the guest on the day went on about he loved the Second Captains and how he was raging and upset when they left Newstalk, sounded like he thought they were unfairly treated. Molloy was fairly quiet after that and just moved onto the other guest. Found it a bit funny :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Don't know much about it but really looking forward to it.

They talked about it on the Sunday Review on Off The Ball a few weeks ago. Joe Molloy was just saying how it sounds great etc, but the guest on the day went on about he loved the Second Captains and how he was raging and upset when they left Newstalk, sounded like he thought they were unfairly treated. Molloy was fairly quiet after that and just moved onto the other guest. Found it a bit funny :pac:

I think it's fairly common knowledge that the SC lads and the management in Newstalk left on pretty bad terms and they'd be personae non grata around those parts. I had a chuckle listening to that review alright, think it was Shane Keegan who was the guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭jaykay74

JW and Ken with a decent chat about Pirlo today. The ins and out of who is right doesn't matter. Ken being incredulous at the dismissal of Pirlo was good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Podcast subscription linky

https://podcasts.files.bbci.co.uk/p08njhrm.rss

Life ain't always empty.

JW out contrarianing Ken yesterday was quite entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Could have done with a bonus weekend episode. Too much to talk about on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Beersmith wrote: »
    Could have done with a bonus weekend episode. Too much to talk about on Monday.

Monday episodes are always the worst. Ken talks for 40 mins about the football (normally mainly one story) then they have someone on to talk for a half hour about the exact same thing Ken has spent the whole episode talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Monday episodes are always the worst. Ken talks for 40 mins about the football (normally mainly one story) then they have someone on to talk for a half hour about the exact same thing Ken has spent the whole episode talking about.

And its already what's he has said in that days paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Ah, surely he will be on top form tommorow having called the Barcelona massacre in advance? I’m looking forward to it

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I can hear new Giles audio bed already.

Over on The Stand with Dunphy they had a pop and a laugh at Ken... "he mustn't know much about football". They didn't mention Ken by name, didn't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

humberklog wrote: »

Over on The Stand with Dunphy they had a pop and a laugh at Ken... "he mustn't know much about football". They didn't mention Ken by name, didn't need to.

The stand is a vipers nest.

• Advertisement

The stand is a vipers nest.

Can be. It sounded like a set up between Dunphy and Giles too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭cmac2009

What was the context of the conversation?

cmac2009 wrote: »
    What was the context of the conversation?

Dunphy saying a certain Irish journalist's headline is "Barca's problem is Messi".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0817/1159664-silva-statue-planned-for-the-etihad/

City going for a David Silva love in, id say this might please Ken :D

Whats the stand like, worth a listen? Liked Dunphy in the past but Giles is struggling a bit in recent years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭cmac2009

duffman13 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0817/1159664-silva-statue-planned-for-the-etihad/

Whats the stand like, worth a listen? Liked Dunphy in the past but Giles is struggling a bit in recent years

Struggling a bit! You're being very kind there :)

duffman13 wrote: »

It can be really good depending on who he has on. Niall Stanage on American politics and Chris Johns on economics are really good. The quality of the contributor determines the quality of the show. Unfortunately he gets a lot of absolute headbangers on there too and Dunphy is such an inveterate hole licker to whoever he is talking too that he never challenges any wacky opinion.

I haven't listened to it too much when he has the boys talking about football. I love Johnny Giles, he was my favourite pundit for a long, long time and he was still more than decent for a long time after people said he was past it, but I do think he is legitimately past it now. His stories about the past are fantastic, but he's well out of touch with today at this stage.

It can be really good depending on who he has on. Niall Stanage on American politics and Chris Johns on economics are really good. The quality of the contributor determines the quality of the show. Unfortunately he gets a lot of absolute headbangers on there too and Dunphy is such an inveterate hole licker to whoever he is talking too that he never challenges any wacky opinion.

I haven't listened to it too much when he has the boys talking about football. I love Johnny Giles, he was my favourite pundit for a long, long time and he was still more than decent for a long time after people said he was past it, but I do think he is legitimately past it now. His stories about the past are fantastic, but he's well out of touch with today at this stage.

He’s gone fairly scorpy in his old age too. He was never all that cheery but he’s sour as a bag of lemons these days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Dunphy saying a certain Irish journalist's headline is "Barca's problem is Messi".

At the end of the day Ken's not a football people

• Registered Users Posts: 19,577 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I just like to hear Giles talking about football, to be honest. I don't mind if it's not that insightful (I would argue most pundits are not especially insightful). I just like to hear what he thinks. It's the only thing on Off The Ball I regularly listen to these days

I quite like The Stand, but I don't listen if it's a topic I'm not interested in (which is reasonably common).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Jim Root wrote: »
    Ah, surely he will be on top form tommorow having called the Barcelona massacre in advance? I’m looking forward to it

Was looking forward to it too but then realized Eoin was not presenting and they will have bloody Miguel Delaney on

Advertisement