Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

kilns wrote: »
    Its a sports podcast not a soccer podcast. If you dont want to listen to certain parts, skip forward or unsubscribe and stop moaning here

Have gaa, I’m cool with that, they just need to increase the soccer output, it’s what the people want

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Have gaa, I’m cool with that, they just need to increase the soccer output, it’s what the people want

Are you having a laugh they talk football probably for 80% of the podcast

It would be good if they actually went deeper into other sports more, not really a fan of Tennis but always enjoy their Tennis talk but thats down to the contributor

kilns wrote: »
    Are you having a laugh they talk football probably for 80% of the podcast

It would be good if they actually went deeper into other sports more, not really a fan of Tennis but always enjoy their Tennis talk but thats down to the contributor

Closer to 40%

Closer to 40%

Yeah right

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Did I miss something or what was the Ben Chilwell fixation about at the start of today’s pod? Seemed to go on for a long time so may have zoned out and missed whatever Ken’s point was

Note - did not watch the Chelsea game last night so just wondering what I missed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Obrieski wrote: »
    Did I miss something or what was the Ben Chilwell fixation about at the start of today’s pod? Seemed to go on for a long time so may have zoned out and missed whatever Ken’s point was

Note - did not watch the Chelsea game last night so just wondering what I missed!

It was a very straight forward point. Ben Chilwell was the only Chelsea player doing anything in the game. I didn't watch it either.

I expect that if Jose beats Ken’s Liverpool tonight we won’t be getting a foot ball show tomorrow, probably be another GAA show in its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

The all Ireland is on Saturday so they'll have to preview it at some stage.

Well I just downloaded today's pod, so that's taken care of!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Bit late catching up, but I thought Monday's podcast was outstanding. Just the right blend of humour and seriousness in the Gerard Houllier obit.

I expect that if Jose beats Ken’s Liverpool tonight we won’t be getting a foot ball show tomorrow, probably be another GAA show in its place.

Fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Still Ill

He'll have a field day with Jose's post match comments.

Have to say I didn't quite get the Ben Chilwell stuff today.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭frankeee

There was an All Ireland final at the weekend which they didn’t cover Monday. Better than another day of “what Patrice Evra said” :rolleyes:

The cynic in me thinks me they left the AI final review untill Tuesday so a few Limerick people would subscribe for it - I know if I wasn't already a subscriber I would have!

dulpit wrote: »
    You do know that one of the main reasons they left newstalk was because they wanted to move into covering more current affairs stuff and not just sport?

Is that a bit revisionist? I thought it was because they wanted to move more into prime time slots. On Newstlalk they used to be on between 7-10pm if i remember correctly.

In fact they only started doing the Politics bits when they broke away from the Irish Times in 2016, whereas they left Newstalk in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Is that a bit revisionist? I thought it was because they wanted to move more into prime time slots. On Newstlalk they used to be on between 7-10pm if i remember correctly.

In fact they only started doing the Politics bits when they broke away from the Irish Times in 2016, whereas they left Newstalk in 2013.

I heard the politics thing at the time from someone who works in a different section of newstalk. That person heard it as a rumour though. They wanted 6-9 or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

It was fairly widely publicised at the time that they wanted to take an hour off George Hooks show and do 6-9. Not sure about the politics side of things when at Newstalk but The Irish Times was never going to let them do politics when they have their own politics podcast and several political reporters so that was never a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭al87987

The Pep comparison to a silent movie star was very funny. Ken on good form today. Mourinho always brings out the best of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Another top top performance from a top top top football pundit today. Mr Ken early.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

frankeee wrote: »
    The cynic in me thinks me they left the AI final review untill Tuesday so a few Limerick people would subscribe for it - I know if I wasn't already a subscriber I would have!

They need the 48 hours to produce an in-depth analysis instead of "report on sport" hot takes :pac:

I heard the politics thing at the time from someone who works in a different section of newstalk. That person heard it as a rumour though. They wanted 6-9 or something.

Lots of people want 6-9, doesn't mean they'll get it though ;)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Andy Moran and Jamie Wall have rescued Second Captains GAA coverage for me..

I had gotten to the point of skipping most of the GAA chats but there's a freshness and wit to both Moran and Wall..

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

lawred2 wrote: »

I had gotten to the point of skipping most of the GAA chats but there's a freshness and wit to both Moran and Wall..

I liked Mike Quirke but Andy is definitely a breath of fresh air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

lawred2 wrote: »

Andy Moran is good alright. Not sure about Wall. Bit too many pointles analogies involving either Man Utd or The Simpsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Big fan of Andy and Oisin. I like Jamie most of the time but sometimes his stories and analogies are what you’d expect from the older Sunday game lads.

There’s too much awe and hero worship from them towards Moran. I’d rather have Quirke back on as he was actually allowed to be pulled up on something, the same as McConville is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

redbuck wrote: »
    I liked Mike Quirke but Andy is definitely a breath of fresh air.

Definitely does a bit of research beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Not big into GAA but I'm not a fan of Jamie Wall at all, just find him very boring to be honest and as someone said his anecdotes are Stone Age stuff. He had one about the rock playing some club match and it being one trick and some player on his team saying "yeah but what a trick". I must have heard that story a hundred times in various pubs over the years about random teams and players. I actually cringed listening to it and everyone else sounded a bit embarrassed.

Should they re name the show Gaa captains ? It’s basically 85% gaa content now.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CiaranW

Haha, give it a rest. It was a big GAA week in fairness. I never listen to GAA myself I skip through it, but now it is over for another year thankfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Should they re name the show Gaa captains ? It’s basically 85% gaa content now.

In fairness in a normal year there would be no GAA around now but changed circumstances this year. They will hardly cover the league much when it starts in late February so that's probably the end of the GAA on the show until late April.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they release another gaa podcast instead of a Christmas cabin special.

• Advertisement

I’ll be back to two or three episodes a month now the GAA is over, though it’s still worth a fiver for that.

Advertisement