Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I don't think Doddles is returning. At least he said he wasn't going to do another after the last one finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

humberklog wrote: »
    I don't think Doddles is returning. At least he said he wasn't going to do another after the last one finished.

He might not have much else to do, unless he has another book up his sleeve.

He seems to be doing some video things on his own social channels this time round. Not sure if they’re daily or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭jones

I enjoyed the first lockdown podcast but I skipped 99% of it the second time. Hard to repeat the magic I suppose but just didn't enjoy it the second time. I'd be happy if they just left it at this stage but no skin off my nose if it continues

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Anyone know what date episode us murph was on for some festive segment they mentioned? Think I missed one

• Advertisement

Anyone know what date episode us murph was on for some festive segment they mentioned? Think I missed one

December 30th.

Anyone else's ears prick up last week when Ken was talking about sexism and relating to an experience he had on an oil rig in the 90's?

Roughneck Ken? Throwing shapes about the decks with a big giant spanner in one hand and a can of Tennants lager in the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Anyone else's ears prick up last week when Ken was talking about sexism and relating to an experience he had on an oil rig in the 90's?

Roughneck Ken? Throwing shapes about the decks with a big giant spanner in one hand and a can of Tennants lager in the other.

Yeah, was a really out of character story....although I don't really know his past or his circle of family/friends.
    Maybe he read it in a book? It needed more context anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

He didn't say oil rig, he said diving and him and his family are big into swimming

Beersmith wrote: »
    He didn't say oil rig, he said diving and him and his family are big into swimming

Well in fairness he said "diving vessel in the North Sea" which I'd associate with oil rig support rather than swimming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

With Liverpool loosing I reckon it will be gaa podcasts for the rest of the week/ Ken back on the tobacco and Nutella.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

With Liverpool loosing I reckon it will be gaa podcasts for the rest of the week/ Ken back on the tobacco and Nutella.

Give it a rest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭deisedude

I wouldn’t be surprised if they release another gaa podcast instead of a Christmas cabin special.
    Should they re name the show Gaa captains ? It’s basically 85% gaa content now.
    I expect that if Jose beats Ken’s Liverpool tonight we won’t be getting a foot ball show tomorrow, probably be another GAA show in its place.
    Have gaa, I’m cool with that, they just need to increase the soccer output, it’s what the people want
    Did they used to do two podcasts on a Monday, one of which was GAA ??? The Gaa podcast should not pollute a Tuesday.
    Give the gaa heads their fix on a Monday with a second podcast but... patron members shouldn’t have to pay for it/have their Tuesdays ruined... soccer is popular.
    I put down COLD HARD CASH every week... year AFTER YEAR !!! I expect more Then GAA ON A MONDAY !!!!!!
    Jaysus !!! It’s more GAA !!!
    A GAA PODCAST ON A MONDAY IS A CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY.
    People in Asia have no interest in Gaa

All posted in the past 2 months

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Raoul

kippy wrote: »
    Yeah, was a really out of character story....although I don't really know his past or his circle of family/friends.
    Maybe he read it in a book? It needed more context anyway.

Definitely, why didn't Eoin ask him more questions about it??

The scumbag who wrote the email in about the abuse the lads gave Jermaine Jenas had Murph really scrambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

deisedude wrote: »
    All posted in the past 2 months

Thanks for highlighting, someone has been added to my 'Ignore List' alongside Tranquillo for attempting to ruin this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Raoul wrote: »
    The scumbag who wrote the email in about the abuse the lads gave Jermaine Jenas had Murph really scrambling.

Yeah Murph really tried far too hard to defend him/themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I like Murph but kinda amusing how badly he comes out of the Egomaniacs segments and how well Ken usually comes out of his ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Anyone know if they've moved offices from Fitzwilliam St? Sign isnt up on wall anymore. Probably no need for a office with covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Anyone know if they've moved offices from Fitzwilliam St? Sign isnt up on wall anymore. Probably no need for a office with covid.

Makes sense to move out if their lease was due to expire. Wasted money.
    They might need an office once covid is over so they have someplace to interview guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Lucas Hood wrote: »

They did mention in one of the Christmas episodes that they usually have Ken going in on his own to do the post-Stephen's Day pod, but this year nobody has to go anywhere, so they're all clearly working from home, so it makes sense to leave lease lapse...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I do remember hearing that. Tbh you wouldn't notice they're all in their own houses recording the sound quality is really good. Something Football Weekly isn't always so good at.

They’ve done a really great job on the sound. You’d think they were still in the same room.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

They’ve done a really great job on the sound. You’d think they were still in the same room.

It’s great and the conversation flows like they’re all in the same room, no one talking over each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Pro-tip: Don't record the audio from zoom/skype/etc. Record each person individually, mix the tracks together.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

dulpit wrote: »
    They did mention in one of the Christmas episodes that they usually have Ken going in on his own to do the post-Stephen's Day pod, but this year nobody has to go anywhere, so they're all clearly working from home, so it makes sense to leave lease lapse...

They were talking about Baggot Street a couple of months ago and it was mentioned (by Eoin I think) that such and such was beside their “old office”. I presume they’ve been in the same place since 2013 so it looks like they’ve given up the lease. I agree on the sound quality - the only time I recall it being in any way defective was on one of the pods last week where Ken was very echo-y.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭atilladehun

dulpit wrote: »
    Pro-tip: Don't record the audio from zoom/skype/etc. Record each person individually, mix the tracks together.

I really wish this stuff was basics for all media.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

Well in fairness he said "diving vessel in the North Sea" which I'd associate with oil rig support rather than swimming.

I have a vague recollection that Ken's father was a navy diver. So a post military career in the North Sea and a summer job for Ken might not be beyond the bounds of probability...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Blanchguy wrote: »
    I have a vague recollection that Ken's father was a navy diver. So a post military career in the North Sea and a summer job for Ken might not be beyond the bounds of probability...

Ya he mentioned it in the Irishman abroad podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

From today's episode description:

'Eoin and Ken are themselves trolled by a listener as Ken recalls his time in the briny North Sea'

• Advertisement

Arrrr me maties, so that clears that up.

Advertisement