Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

US Murph talking about....Steph Curry. What a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Hippo wrote: »

Not sure why you're having a go at US Murph here. Do you think that it was him setting the agenda of the conversation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Not sure why you're having a go at US Murph here. Do you think that it was him setting the agenda of the conversation?

Doesn't really matter, it's always USM and his 'beloved' 49ers/Giants/Golden State Warriors/UCLA - delete as appropriate. Neither particularly insightful nor entertaining, in my opinion.

Excellent handle though, Duke, genuinely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

In fairness to US murph, he only talks about those teams when there's something to be talked about. I haven't listened to it yet or don't follow NBA, but Steph Curry was all over reddit the other day so it was probably something worth talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CollectThat

Bit of an off-topic question but how many subscribers does the World Service have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Bit of an off-topic question but how many subscribers does the World Service have?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Hippo wrote: »

And a whole load of other stuff. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭duffman13

yermandan wrote: »

They have done extraordinarily well to be fair to them. A paid podcast was sniggered by a lot of people but they continue to grow.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

A post from the second page on the first thread, I remember some posters were pretty gleeful about their supposed downfall on the OTB thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Which episode was that bit where Ken is going on about McIlroy? It's in one of their newer sound segments! The one with Liam Neeson's Michael Collins..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Ball boy

Are those figures from the website I wonder or pateon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ball boy wrote: »
    Are those figures from the website I wonder or pateon

https://www.patreon.com/secondcaptains

12,337 as of now...

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Thought the Tom Parsons interview was very good. Wouldn’t be surprised if they have him on again when the GAA starts up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

dulpit wrote: »

With those numbers they should be able get Garry Kasparov on the pod....

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MercuryBoy

Heavy rugger vibe today, I blame the FA Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Rugby talk on a Monday? Eww

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭atilladehun

MercuryBoy wrote: »
    Heavy rugger vibe today, I blame the FA Cup

I hate the fa cup, it's like a crap stag. It should be amazing but is just the opposite of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

any sign of Ken's gooooooalllllllssssss?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

I hate the fa cup, it's like a crap stag. It should be amazing but is just the opposite of fun.

Love the FA Cup. How could ye not enjoy it this weekend!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Thought ken made some bad points arguments about duff today. It does seem though like he wanted out and was looking for an excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Of all the non-football topics they discuss on The Second Captains the rugby talk is by far the dullest. It's a shame, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

sigmundv wrote: »
    Of all the non-football topics they discuss on The Second Captains the rugby talk is by far the dullest. It's a shame, really.

I think the problem is the guests for rugby. They're mainly fairly dull. Horgan sometimes can be a bit critical but the others like Trimble and Casey are too recent out of the game and for whatever reason don't want to be too critical. You need somebody who is not recently involved like Matt Williams or if they wanted to go very off piste Neil Francis but that will never happen. There aren't many ex players like that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I think the problem is the guests for rugby. They're mainly fairly dull. Horgan sometimes can be a bit critical but the others like Trimble and Casey are too recent out of the game and for whatever reason don't want to be too critical. You need somebody who is not recently involved like Matt Williams or if they wanted to go very off piste Neil Francis but that will never happen. There aren't many ex players like that

George hook needs to be re activated, give him them Rugby “Live from Foxrock” /spend some some of that Patreon cash on a big name

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭siblers

That Duff story I find a lot more unimportant than how it's being reported so was already a bit bored but as soon as they mention rugby, I was done.

I don't mind rugby but find discussion of it incredibly dull

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

George hook needs to be re activated, give him them Rugby “Live from Foxrock” /spend some some of that Patreon cash on a big name

Absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Andy Dunne is still the best rugby pundit to listen to.. not afraid to have an opinion.

He's almost never on SC though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Love him or hate him but Hook would shake up the rugby slot big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I think that the bigger issue with rugby is that most of the people involved are plain boring, so it's tough to come up with any drama to talk about.

This means that they must talk about systems, offloads, etc and that is even more boring for most people!

At least with football, there are 20 teams playing multiple times per week so there is bound to be something or someone interesting to talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I like Trimble actually. Being on with Shane Horgan doesn't do anyone any favours. The podcast he does with Barry Murphy, Potholes and Penguins, is a great listen. Although mostly for non-rugby reasons!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

sigmundv wrote: »

Agree with everything here. Shane Horgan won't go for obvious reasons. But someone less boring is needed, Matty williams is a good shout.

Advertisement