Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Yeah I like rugby and watch the games but the chats are beyond tragic.

Even the GAA chats are better. The Mayo lads were brilliant the other day.

And when Ken is doing report on sport I am always smiling and laughing away to myself.

Shaggy, trimbs and Gerry are not exactly a barrel of laughs. It’s without a doubt the weakest part of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

As already said the problem with rugby is there are zero personalties. All the players and coaches are boring as hell and speak in that really irritating middle manager way that you'd expect to hear at a conference somewhere. Nothing controversial is ever said and its always just the same bland platitudes. The closest to a bit of controversy was Jones stuff from a few years back and that was fairly tame by football standards.

You will never hear a rugby coach having a shouting match with a BT reporter over TV rights or Mourinho losing it over some refereeing decision, it just never happens and as a result there isn't much to talk about. It doesn't help that the club game has greatly diminished since the rebranding of the the Heineken Cup, there is nowhere near the level of interest that there used to be in the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The other issue with rugby punditry is that the people they use are good at analysing a game, and are good in a TV setting during live game. But the likes of Second Captains isn't for that type of analysis, so they just get dull and talk about things like being at the pillar, how well somebody does a jackal or whatever.

The pieces that are best on Second Captains are when they take a slight step back and discuss the stories rather than the minutia..

• Registered Users Posts: 34 NeftDaslari

With sport slowing down this month, hopefully we might have a new political pod from Ken soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

With sport slowing down this month, hopefully we might have a new political pod from Ken soon.

Zero happening in the political world though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'd say Ken wouldn't be turning his nose up at an interview with Donie, even if he was a bit befuddled at his sudden media profile the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Arghus wrote: »
    I'd say Ken wouldn't be turning his nose up at an interview with Donie, even if he was a bit befuddled at his sudden media profile the last day.

Donie?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

unplayable wrote: »

Shaggy, trimbs and Gerry are not exactly a barrel of laughs. It’s without a doubt the weakest part of the show.

Agree. Hopefully they take some learnings and work ons from this feedback.

I think the absolute peak of it was them talking about some rugby players ****ing brain chemistry being similar to a surgeon.

I remember walking back from the office listening to that just horrified.

"you always remember where you were when the second captains rugby coverage disappeared completely up its own arse"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

D.Q wrote: »
    Agree. Hopefully they take some learnings and work ons from this feedback.

I think the absolute peak of it was them talking about some rugby players ****ing brain chemistry being similar to a surgeon.

I think that was from a Murray Kinsella article on Jack Carthy a couple years ago. They were just referencing it when discussing the same player last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I think that was from a Murray Kinsella article on Jack Carthy a couple years ago. They were just referencing it when discussing the same player last week.

Murray Kinsella's stuff gives me internal bleeds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Donie?

O'Sullivan. CNN reporter, from Cahirciveen. He was at the Capitol Hill mess last week and made quite an impression on twitter and ended up on Virgin Media, RTÉ and was on the Late Late Show.

He's quite a good reporter on social media/etc. https://twitter.com/donie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

duffman13 wrote: »
    They have done extraordinarily well to be fair to them. A paid podcast was sniggered by a lot of people but they continue to grow.

Its a lot of fivers.

Together with their other gigs they are very comfortable, especially Eoin and Ken.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Its a lot of fivers.

Together with their other gigs they are very comfortable, especially Eoin and Ken.

this is Ireland so it means a lot of tax too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

You would think for the amount of money that they are making they could do more content then 5 hours a week. Pat Kenny earns less and does 15 hours plus of content.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

You would think for the amount of money that they are making they could do more content then 5 hours a week. Pat Kenny earns less and does 15 hours plus of content.

Poor effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

To use a phrase of Ken’s rival, Gary Neville, their content level is “scabby”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Jesus EltonJohn69 can you give it a rest? all you ever do is post the same nonsense in this thread, either stop subscribing to them or accept that this is what you signed up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I guess every thread has its resident trolls

• Registered Users Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

lawred2 wrote: »
    this is Ireland so it means a lot of tax too

Shelf companies I'd imagine.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Shelf companies I'd imagine.

you still get taxed when you try to take that money out for yourself

• Advertisement

To use a phrase of Ken’s rival, Gary Neville, their content level is “scabby”

Cheap shot, cheap shot, cheap shot

George hook needs to be re activated, give him them Rugby “Live from Foxrock” /spend some some of that Patreon cash on a big name

I really miss Hooky. He always called it quite accurately and was enjoyable to watch/listen to.

den87 wrote: »
    Thought the Tom Parsons interview was very good. Wouldn’t be surprised if they have him on again when the GAA starts up again.

"NOOOOOOO TOMM!!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

kilns wrote: »
    I guess every thread has its resident trolls

There's no point getting annoyed really.

The joke has been stale for ages at this stage. I'm mystified at his persistence - but whatever keeps a person happy I guess.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Just such an odd thread to troll.

"Aha, some people appear to like something over here, now then..."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭deisedude

Report the posts and if enough of us do it the poster will get get banned

Ah Jesus that poster isn't doing that much harm as to require being reported

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I'd say it's the same poster that was making up stories about Mark Horgan.

any word on murph lads is he just on hols do we think? you would miss him like

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    Ah Jesus that poster isn't doing that much harm as to require being reported

Exactly. If the argument that "you don't like the podcast, don't listen" is true, then equally the argument, "you don't like the boards post, ignore it" is also true.

No need to be going around trying to report and censor people.

Advertisement