Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I really miss Hooky. He always called it quite accurately and was enjoyable to watch/listen to.

Hook was terrible. One of the worst pundits, was funny when Ireland won and he couldn't rant about how terrible we were. Even better when Leinster players scored the trys. Then he would just rant about how bad the opposition were. He found it very hard to give credit to anyone who wasn't munster. I remember he was calling for O'Driscoll to retire one year, Denis Hickey ripped into him a couple of years later after O'driscoll won 2 heinken cups and a grand slam.
    Hook was miserable. Once Tom McGuirk actually asked him "Are you disappointed Ireland won" and he went mental!
    Glad to see him off the TV. And wasn't he one of the reasons the lads left newstalk? They wanted to start an hour earlier? Loads of reasons not to bring that lad back, he had his time

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Poor US Murph sounded very despondent on the Tuesday show. Never heard him so downbeat, really must get to him all the ongoings in Washington

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

You would think for the amount of money that they are making they could do more content then 5 hours a week. Pat Kenny earns less and does 15 hours plus of content.

Mod note: I am posting this publicly for visability - Your posts have been reported multiple times - Quit grinding the same axe. Trolling/antagonising the board isn't on, next time will result in a ban. Please reconsider your posting style. Cheers

Thanks to everyone keeping an eye on the thread, apologies for not getting to this sooner. All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Obrieski wrote: »
    Poor US Murph sounded very despondent on the Tuesday show. Never heard him so downbeat, really must get to him all the ongoings in Washington

Thought US Murph was excellent the last day - he really nailed the complete ludicrousness of the claims being made by those protesting over the election result.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Watching clips of Stephen Colbert on Youtube, he has the same tone of exasperation and horror as US Murph, hope Ken covers it in a politics pod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

If you haven't listened to yesterday's pod, they've announced that pateon payments can now be processed in euro and sterling as well as dollar. They said that if you're in euro country it's better for you and them to switch currency. So switch and help.

Details: https://www.secondcaptains.com/2020/11/04/euro/

Edit: quick check in Revolut history shows that this is going to be slightly more expensive now (by like 20c), but I assume if you're paying from regular bank account it's cheaper. Plus it'll save the lads conversion costs...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ken laughing at that Rashford article was gold.

dulpit wrote: »
    If you haven't listened to yesterday's pod, they've announced that pateon payments can now be processed in euro and sterling as well as dollar. They said that if you're in euro country it's better for you and them to switch currency. So switch and help.

Details: https://www.secondcaptains.com/2020/11/04/euro/

Edit: quick check in Revolut history shows that this is going to be slightly more expensive now (by like 20c), but I assume if you're paying from regular bank account it's cheaper. Plus it'll save the lads conversion costs...

Don't worry, the usual suspects will complain either way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Eoin proving yet again that he is one of the best interviewers out there with today's pod

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

yermandan wrote: »
    Eoin proving yet again that he is one of the best interviewers out there with today's pod

Hugely moving pod. Massive respect to Fionn for telling his story. It really makes it all real when you hear the story first hand. Horrific stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Surprised that they didn't crack a "those boys never go home" joke about the oddness of the hours that the FAI statements come out.
    That's what happens when Murph's not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

yermandan wrote: »

I was thinking that the other day listening to one of the other ones.

They're a brilliant team, but each of them is outstanding at what they do individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Still no Murph on today's show..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Still Ill

So what are we thinking, guys? Some sort or Horgan-esque cover up going on? Any Murph truthers about?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Probably on holidays or something. What's the big deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Love how Ken barely pays attention to when he Eoin is talking, asking if it's the Superbowl after Eoin named out 4 teams :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,708 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Anyone know what the story is with the free feed? Today's (and last Friday's taster) show up on secondcaptains.com but not on Feedburner or iTunes.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Anyone know what the story is with the free feed? Today's (and last Friday's taster) show up on secondcaptains.com but not on Feedburner or iTunes.

It's not on Podcast Republic either. On Spotify though

• Registered Users Posts: 34,708 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wasn't showing up on Soundcloud either, but it did show up on the podcast app on my laptop (which uses the Soundcloud URL, weird)

Had to unsubscribe and resubscribe on my phone to get it to work.

Some people on Twitter saying they couldn't get it to work on their iPhones, tried it on my work iPhone and not working...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Hope for fans of Utd and Liverpool as Dion Fanning having declared a month ago that city were not in the title race on second captains, declares that city have the title as good as won on the totally football pod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

No mention of Murph either...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Obviously he has started an investigation podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Beersmith wrote: »
    Obviously he has started an investigation podcast.

lol, that made me chuckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,403 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Obrieski wrote: »
    Hugely moving pod. Massive respect to Fionn for telling his story. It really makes it all real when you hear the story first hand. Horrific stuff

They have made the episode available to non-subscribers :)

https://mobile.twitter.com/SecondCaptains/status/1351576630318272514

From RTE:
    Leicester City 2-0 Chelsea

Chelsea looked anything but. It's their fourth away defeat in five. Frank Lampard didn't wait long before darting down the tunnel and out of the spotlight.

Going to be funny tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Cienciano wrote: »
    From RTE:

Going to be funny tomorrow

I’m not looking forward to it myself. I’m honestly sick of this obsession over Lampard. And the SC aren’t the only ones guilty of it. Football Weekly is the same. Jonathan Wilson is the English version of Early in this regard. Tenner says he’ll be on the pod tomorrow! By all means criticise Lampard, but just stop spending so much time doing it.

I hope they get Wilson on and spend the full hour ripping into Lampard. Then I'll listen to GFW to hear the same stuff. Inject it into my veins :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I hope Daddy Cock becomes a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Arghus wrote: »
    I hope Daddy Cock becomes a thing.

Brendan Rodgers beats Daddy Cock.... sounds like the name of a Podge and Rodge episode !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I did like the chick talk yesterday but in fairness what lampard was talking about in that interview was experience in the premier league.

Also, I hate when US Murph talks about any back up player coming in the NFL. He did admit it a bit at the end but these are highly trained/skilled/paid backups and prepare exactly for these scenarios. He always makes it sounds like they pick the replacement from the stands.

Advertisement