Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

MercuryBoy wrote: »
    I presume the rugby torture is a tool to get more people fully signed so they can hear soccer chat, not a bad idea!

Without getting into what rugby is like as a sport, it's really not the most exciting sport to talk about and analyse outside of matches. I'm not sure if it's because the matches are less frequent, just that there's less ancillary drama going on (transfers, media interaction etc.) or even the nature of the pundits but the discussions always feel very same-ish and dull to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Amirani wrote: »
    Without getting into what rugby is like as a sport, it's really not the most exciting sport to talk about and analyse outside of matches. I'm not sure if it's because the matches are less frequent, just that there's less ancillary drama going on (transfers, media interaction etc.) or even the nature of the pundits but the discussions always feel very same-ish and dull to me.

I would pay extra maybe even double for a second captains with all the rugby talk removed- worth it for the convenience of not having to skip over those sections - rugby lads have nothing interesting to say

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Wouldnt be so bad if they timestamped the content of the pods you could skip stuff easier.

Like this taken from Totally Football European Show
    RUNNING ORDER:

• PART 1: Thomas Tuchel heads to Chelsea (02m 00s)

• PART 2: Moment of the weekend (08m 00s)

• PART 3: Monchengladbach 4-2 Dortmund (12m 00s)

• PART 3: Milan and Inter drop points in Serie A (17m 30s)

• PART 4: What’s this about a European Super League? (29m 00s)

• PART 5: Are Barca broke? (41m 00s)

• PART 6: Neymar’s PSG dream team (53m 30s)

• PART 7: Hertha sack their manager – Roma to follow suit? (62m 00s)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Wouldnt be so bad if they timestamped the content of the pods you could skip stuff easier.

RUNNING ORDER:

Except the SC show is usually one long chat, and the audio beds make it easy to skip through anyway...

dulpit wrote: »
    Except the SC show is usually one long chat, and the audio beds make it easy to skip through anyway...

It's not really there's little breaks for music/old clips from previous pods.

Then you've
    Ken's report on sport.

Then you might have a guest or 2 on.

• Advertisement

It's not really there's little breaks for music/old clips from previous pods.

Then you've
    Ken's report on sport.

Then you might have a guest or 2 on.

Ya, so use the audio beds? :confused:

dulpit wrote: »
    Ya, so use the audio beds? :confused:

What's an audio bed?

What's an audio bed?

The music clips they put together. They split the show up with these, so if you are listening to a dull section (hello Shane Horgan), then you can skip forward. Generally these are a little over 30s in length, most podcasting apps will skip 30s at a time so it's easy to catch them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

And what and audio bed today, Lampard's was put to a cracking 1960's prog-rock tune by Gyongyhaju Lany.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 NeftDaslari

Amirani wrote: »

I reckon rugby punditry in Ireland suffers because instinctively people don’t like critiquing friends, former colleagues, teams etc... And as there’s a massive crossover between the provinces and national team, there’s not really any space left for a bit of controversy. As a result, we’re just left with anodyne discussions on tactics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

RUNNING ORDER:

This would be a good idea

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Does this thread always have to be filled with complaints anytime they cover anything other than soccer?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,403 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

bamayang wrote: »
    Having heard it lots of times before, the Jimmy Magee sound bed “he’s the champion, the champion, the champion” made me a little emotional after the Kiernan tribute.

Yeah I got goosebumps listening to it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Does this thread always have to be filled with complaints anytime they cover anything other than soccer?

Soccer is popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

bamayang wrote: »
    Having heard it lots of times before, the Jimmy Magee sound bed “he’s the champion, the champion, the champion” made me a little emotional after the Kiernan tribute.

One of their best sound beds, so much gold from Magee. His commentary on John Treacy's silver medal at the 84 Olympics is a benchmark for sport commentary, the timing is dreamlike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Soccer is my main sport but the show would be awful dull if it were soccer all the time plus there's so much other soccer pods out there, granted they're a bit more middle of the road and not a patch on Ken but there's only so much one man can do.

I'd like them to do more other sports than the big 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Soccer is my main sport but the show would be awful dull if it were soccer all the time plus there's so much other soccer pods out there, granted they're a bit more middle of the road and not a patch on Ken but there's only so much one man can do.

I'd like them to do more other sports than the big 4.

Agreed but rugby isn’t really an elite sport- coverage of it belongs in local newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Its disappointing to have the Monday podcast to be 90% rugby especially when it was after a pretty exciting few days of soccer and the Monday podcast is traditionaly about soccer

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

TXPTGR1 wrote: »
    Agreed but rugby isn’t really an elite sport- coverage of it belongs in local newspapers.

Yer hoppin' a ball there TXP ðŸ˜

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

siblers wrote: »
    Its disappointing to have the Monday podcast to be 90% rugby especially when it was after a pretty exciting few days of soccer and the Monday podcast is traditionaly about soccer

They spent the first 20 minutes yesterday talking about Lampard and FA Cup games, nearly half the pod, their soccer coverage comfortably dwarfs everything else they do, I just find the whinging when they dare talk about anything else a bit baffling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

They spent the first 20 minutes yesterday talking about Lampard and FA Cup games, nearly half the pod, their soccer coverage comfortably dwarfs everything else they do, I just find the whinging when they dare talk about anything else a bit baffling.

Especially after a sh*te FA Cup weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

Frank's distain for West Ham and Scott Canham was pretty shocking in the BT sport audio clip they played.
    All coming from that infamous fan Q&A when Frank was just breaking into the Hammer's first team.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I did laugh when Ken had finished talking about Lampard during the intro and Eoghan said:

"anyway, whatever about that, now its time for your report on sport."

...and Ken immediately started talking about Lampard again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

13 minutes for the soccer on a 49 minute podcast, so less then a third.

Though they did do a good job on covering Frank on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Maybe they should consider making the Monday pod patreon only. Give the free one on a Wednesday or something

Pretty annoying that between the pre recorded Friday show and Monday being rugby they never mentioned the Liverpool Burnley game

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The strategy seems to be not to have a football show on the Monday following FA cups weekends so far I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Was I the only one disappointed they didn't use the Oasis song 'Stop Crying Your Heart Out' as the background music or basis of one of the audio beds, that Leeds (?) fans changed to 'stop crying Frank Lampard' a few years ago... or as an Oasis fan maybe I'm just harking back to better days! :pac:

Needless to say, the Ken singing audio bed was fantastic!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Arghus wrote: »
    I did laugh when Ken had finished talking about Lampard during the intro and Eoghan said:

"anyway, whatever about that, now its time for your report on sport."

...and Ken immediately started talking about Lampard again.

His football analysis is based around narratives mainly, drama and the noise around football but very little about the football itself.

His football analysis is based around narratives mainly, drama and the noise around football but very little about the football itself.

That's more entertaining though. Even without taking one sport vs the other, compare it to rugby coverage where it's always just a boring tactical discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

That's more entertaining though. Even without taking one sport vs the other, compare it to rugby coverage where it's always just a boring tactical discussion.

Agreed but when you're paying for it I want a bit more than this manager said this, this manager done that rinse and repeat.

Advertisement