Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

healy1835 wrote: »
    Yeah was listening to him with increasing dubiousness as the interview went on. Wasn't paying much attention when they introduced him, is he a journo or from a fanzine? Wilson's scorn was pretty funny.

Count me as another one unimpressed by it. Nice to hear a different viewpoint I guess, but he came across more of a fan than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Count me as another one unimpressed by it. Nice to hear a different viewpoint I guess, but he came across more of a fan than anything else.

I think they had him on before didn't they? And he was worse that time, in terms of coming across as a Chelsea fan, than he was the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭elefant

I thought it was quite funny how after a full chat defending Lampard, he couldn't come up with a single club that would realistically want to hire him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I thought the chelsea guy was awful the other day.

Funny to see Wilson come back at his points. So he must listen himself.

A few of the English pods seem to listen. Pretty sure they said it on either totally football or guardian weekly in the last two weeks. The anfield wrap mention it every few months too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

A few of the English pods seem to listen. Pretty sure they said it on either totally football or guardian weekly in the last two weeks. The anfield wrap mention it every few months too.

English pods definitely listen/ are fan boys and namecheck SC. Some of the off the ball guys do a fair bit of plagiarism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Having Wilson on is always a highlight for SC. I think they had Miguel Delaney on too with him and he was his usual non relevant self

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

kilns wrote: »
    Having Wilson on is always a highlight for SC. I think they had Miguel Delaney on too with him and he was his usual non relevant self

Yeah I hate when they double up with having MD on with JW. Really ruins it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 IsosKramer

I've heard Second Captains mentioned on The Guardian pod a few times, always by Barry from Birr.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Yesterday was very boring, think Ken referenced that fella in a monkey suit showing up when people were throwing a bastetball around before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭jones

Yesterday was very boring, think Ken referenced that fella in a monkey suit showing up when people were throwing a bastetball around before.

It did seem a but more rushed than usual i thought they might have went into liverpool's complete lack of centre backs after Matip went off at half time but maybe it was not known at that time (a symptom of the thursday night recording i'd say).

I know the video he's talking about i did it before in some management course its gas you totally miss a "gorilla" walking through a basketball game without noticing as they give you a counting task to do at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I spotted the gorilla straight away and think it's rather worrying that so many people don't! How do they walk and chew gum at the same time? :pac: although it does explain why so many people are such crap drivers

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

IsosKramer wrote: »
    I've heard Second Captains mentioned on The Guardian pod a few times, always by Barry from Birr.

I remember ken saying he was in london for work and he had no recording equipment. He contacted Barry and he gave him a lend of some and they went on the beer together. Obviously know each other, he credits them a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I think I've seen it mentioned on here a few times and maybe one or two references on the show, but didn't Ken fill in and present Guardian Football Weekly once? and possibly didn't set the world alight :) or am I misremembering?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

healy1835 wrote: »
    I think I've seen it mentioned on here a few times and maybe one or two references on the show, but didn't Ken fill in and present Guardian Football Weekly once? and possibly didn't set the world alight :) or am I misremembering?

The best thing that ever happened to second captains!
    One of those situations where Ken tries to hard and isn't himself. It can be awkward as fúck, imagine the Gary NEville interview wasn't in front of a live audience?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Ken told the story at a live show.
    Him and Barry were drinking the night before. He kept up to Barry with the drink but then found out that actually Barry wasn't on the pod the following day.
    He made a balls of one part and presumed it would be edited out.... But it wasn't..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Ken told the story at a live show.
    Him and Barry were drinking the night before. He kept up to Barry with the drink but then found out that actually Barry wasn't on the pod the following day.
    He made a balls of one part and presumed it would be edited out.... But it wasn't..

We've all been there.

Drinking like a fish, but telling yourself that it's not too bad because, sure, everyone else is on in the morning too and they're still going at it as well...only to realise to your horror that you're the only poor misfortunate bastard that has to be up in eight...no, actually, just over four hours....How is it that late already?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Classic, lol. Pretty sure there was an episode during lockdown 1 when it appeared to me that Ken had just woken up and was extremely hungover. Happens to all of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Was surprised how impressed Jacob Steinburg was with Chelsea. He saw something in that 2-0 home win vs burnley that I didn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Ken describing Laurent Blancs defending against Craig Bellamy as ‘crumbling like a burning building’ or something like that had me in stitches earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Am I right in saying Andy Lee hasn't appeared on the show since the Kinahan furore happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Am I right in saying Andy Lee hasn't appeared on the show since the Kinahan furore happened?

Don't think he has actually... I'd imagine they'll cover the BBC panorama tomorrow to some extent... Is Lee still helping coach Fury?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Don't think he has actually... I'd imagine they'll cover the BBC panorama tomorrow to some extent... Is Lee still helping coach Fury?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Jim Root wrote: »
    Classic, lol. Pretty sure there was an episode during lockdown 1 when it appeared to me that Ken had just woken up and was extremely hungover. Happens to all of us!

Sure didn't we have a taoiseach do it on Morning Ireland :P

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭505_

Is Ken’s liverpool bias getting worse lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

505_ wrote: »
    Is Ken’s liverpool bias getting worse lately?

Probably just that Liverpool are worse lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭duffman13

I've noticed the pods after Liverpool lost a few recently, they rarely touched on the subject or they had the odd discussion and quickly moved on

Didn't listen to todays podcast so not sure if your referring to today but its been notable that he hasn't really criticised them too much

duffman13 wrote: »
    I've noticed the pods after Liverpool lost a few recently, they rarely touched on the subject or they had the odd discussion and quickly moved on

Didn't listen to todays podcast so not sure if your referring to today but its been notable that he hasn't really criticised them too much

Ha, as a Liverpool fan I always felt he over compensated by always being a bit harder on Liverpool. Either getting on board with whatever non Liverpool fans are currently slagging Liverpool or comparing whatever general scandal to that time in the last 25 years Liverpool also fncked up.

Man Utd also live rent free in his head, like a lot of us of a certain age.

I suppose I'm saying the same as you but from the other stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Ha, as a Liverpool fan I always felt he over compensated by always being a bit harder on Liverpool. Either getting on board with whatever non Liverpool fans are currently slagging Liverpool or comparing whatever general scandal to that time in the last 25 years Liverpool also fncked up.

Man Utd also live rent free in his head, like a lot of us of a certain age.

I suppose I'm saying the same as you but from the other stand.

I think his obsession/hatred for Murinio comes from Jose ruining Liverpool’s chance of winning a league under Brendan Rodgers. I think Liverpool fans universally hate Jose.

• Advertisement

I think his obsession/hatred for Murinio comes from Jose ruining Liverpool’s chance of winning a league under Brendan Rodgers. I think Liverpool fans universally hate Jose.

Maybe as a generalisation that's true. I don't hate him. He's like a good baddy in a TV show or a heel in wrestling I believe they're called.

I've a long list of offenders for 2014. Don't think Jose makes top 5, maybe sneaks in top ten. Bad passes across the box and missed sitters in derbies are higher.

Advertisement