Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I never thought of Ken Early as snobby (British terminology)

I'd imagine he is an introvert by nature. He's a smart guy that knows that he is not of traditional Dublin soccer stock.

I actually think Ciaran Murphy is the moat "snobbish" of them all. He came up to Dublin and became everything he proclaims to hate.

He became Tom Brady??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I'd imagine he is an introvert by nature. He's a smart guy that knows that he is not of traditional Dublin soccer stock.

I actually think Ciaran Murphy is the moat "snobbish" of them all. He came up to Dublin and became everything he proclaims to hate.

“Not of Dublin soccer stock”

CHEAP SHOT !!! CHEAP SHOT !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

I never thought of Ken Early a smart guy (American terminology).

You don't have to be an extrovert to be a snob.

Yeah Murph is a chore to listen to at times too. God bless Eoin all the same (Middle Eastern Desert Religion Terminology)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

I thought they’d never stop talking about James McClean today. It was a long 40 minutes.

I thought they’d never stop talking about James McClean today. It was a long 40 minutes.

They could have done a full football show on Monday about the weekend soccer, mclean/ champions leaugue preview today and then a Thursday euro review/weekend preview.....

McLean/concussion talk are two subjects they have covered enough.

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    I like the elephant roar at the end myself.

Yes! Just as the Rocky music ends. That's the little touch of genius

Well folks, I find that OTB has gone significantly downhill since they launched the AM show.

Simple question: is Second Captains worth stumping up the fiver a month for? I enjoy the freebies they put out and am considering taking the plunge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Well folks, I find that OTB has gone significantly downhill since they launched the AM show.

Simple question: is OTB worth stumping up the fiver a month for? I enjoy the freebies they put out and am considering taking the plunge.

:confused::confused::confused:

This is second captains. They are formerly the OTB presenters, but have been running second captains for the last 8 years or so. I think the €5 plus VAT is worth it for their podcasts...

Do Off The Ball have a subscription service now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

dulpit wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:

This is second captains. They are formerly the OTB presenters, but have been running second captains for the last 8 years or so. I think the €5 plus VAT is worth it for their podcasts...

Do Off The Ball have a subscription service now?

I believe off the ball have a patreon now as well for some content yes.

I assume the poster made a mistake there and meant SC in the second half. Its well worth the €6ish it works out IMO, wouldn't be without it. There are some duds all right but overall its great to have it.

I assume the poster made a mistake there and meant SC in the second half. Its well worth the €6ish it works out IMO, wouldn't be without it. There are some duds all right but overall its great to have it.

Off the ball wasn’t too bad when they had Kilbane/Kenny Cunningham on regularly but now it’s fairly garbage bar the some of the contributors they get on.

I believe the OTB golf show is now behind a pay wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Mod Note: Guys DON'T FEED THE TROLL. Just report - don't engage, they're not looking for an actual conversation. Carry on the conversation as if they're not there. I've deleted all posts solely responding to the troll. Thanks everyone who reported. All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Anyone who pays money to have to listen to Off The Ball needs their head examined.

al87987 wrote: »
    Could argue Scotland and Ireland have traded places recently in football and rugby terms.

That's actually true. A few years ago we were the best of the Celts. Now we are Scotland but without the haggis.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't know how many times yesterday Ken used the expression "to rub along".

I've obviously led a sheltered life, because I'd never heard anyone say it before ever.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Mod Note: Guys DON'T FEED THE TROLL. Just report - don't engage, they're not looking for an actual conversation. Carry on the conversation as if they're not there. I've deleted all posts solely responding to the troll. Thanks everyone who reported. All the best

If that's at me, I made a simple mistake in my post and it should have read "Is Second Captains worth the fiver a month?". Just checked in there for responses as was working.

I am genuinely considering signing up and was interested in seeing if members thought it represented good value. Nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

If that's at me, I made a simple mistake in my post and it should have read "Is Second Captains worth the fiver a month?". Just checked in there for responses as was working.

I am genuinely considering signing up and was interested in seeing if members thought it represented good value. Nothing more.

No, wasn't you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

It is good value. But - just to note re. patreon. You pay by calendar month, so it's cheapest to sign up on 1st of month. If you sign up today you'll get it until 28th Feb only.

dulpit wrote: »
    It is good value. But - just to note re. patreon. You pay by calendar month, so it's cheapest to sign up on 1st of month. If you sign up today you'll get it until 28th Feb only.

Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Its well worth a fiver a month you won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's good value for a fiver a month.

• Advertisement

It's good value for a fiver a month.

Better value than the licence fee some might say.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I don't know how many times yesterday Ken used the expression "to rub along".

I've obviously led a sheltered life, because I'd never heard anyone say it before ever.

Could have a drinking game where you have a shot anytime Kenny says 'the football club'. You wouldn't be long getting alcohol poisoning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Dante

I listened to OTB for the first time last week and thought it was pretty poor. The whole thing just felt very bland and uninspiring with no real chemistry between the presenters/guests. Its something I would listen purely because its on, as opposed to the SC which I actively look forward to every afternoon. Maybe I'm just biased after years of SC though.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Fair play to them yesterday reading out the criticism of their McLean chat yesterday. It took up a lot of the pod (maybe too much) but it's rare that a podcast would challenge themselves like that I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Murph was completely wrong in his reading of the criticism saying it may have been because he brought up david meyler. He has done that before in defending himself about Jenas.

Found it really puzzling listening to their talk earlier in the week about people's accents changing depending on where they were or who they are with. This I thought was common knowledge and referred to in general in society.

In particular I found Ken's disbelief in someone changing their accent for reasons of fitting in etc when he himself last month made fun of ciarans pronunciation of the word 'made'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭Raoul

Beersmith wrote: »
    Found it really puzzling listening to their talk earlier in the week about people's accents changing depending on where they were or who they are with. This I thought was common knowledge and referred to in general in society.

In particular I found Ken's disbelief in someone changing their accent for reasons of fitting in etc when he himself last month made fun of ciarans pronunciation of the word 'made'

Yeah, but that is completely ridiculous :D:D. It's totally wrong. It isn't like missing the "h" in Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭Raoul

Murph was completely wrong in his reading of the criticism saying it may have been because he brought up david meyler. He has done that before in defending himself about Jenas.

Yeah of course he did. He wouldn't admit that he was wrong.

Raoul wrote: »
    Yeah, but that is completely ridiculous :D:D. It's totally wrong. It isn't like missing the "h" in Thursday.

It annoys me no end! But I can fully appreciate why people change their accents or even behaviour. It was talked about as being bizarre/crazy but it very normal.

Also the idea of broadcasters requesting the way people speak to be modified I don't really have an issue, again its nothing new, you always hear about historically the BBC have certain words dictated that they should or shouldn't say. Likewise in America with the news broadcaster accent adopted if you want a TV job.

I don't find an issue with being asked to modify this if you want a job that relies on these.

Criticism of lets a sportstars way of speaking isn't on but a professional broadcaster is actually fair game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Still Ill

It annoys me no end! But I can fully appreciate why people change their accents or even behaviour. It was talked about as being bizarre/crazy but it very normal.

Also the idea of broadcasters requesting the way people speak to be modified I don't really have an issue, again its nothing new, you always hear about historically the BBC have certain words dictated that they should or shouldn't say. Likewise in America with the news broadcaster accent adopted if you want a TV job.

I don't find an issue with being asked to modify this if you want a job that relies on these.

Criticism of lets a sportstars way of speaking isn't on but a professional broadcaster is actually fair game.

Regional accents don't bother me at all. You can't change where you're from. A lot of English football pundits' grammar is absolutely atrocious though.

Advertisement