Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Ken's naked contempt for Jason McAteer was pretty funny. And justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

healy1835 wrote: »
    Ken's naked contempt for Jason McAteer was pretty funny. And justified.

Very amusing.

Was a bit disappointed with Gavan Cooney as a contributor. Seemed more concerned with what social media had to say about Katie's fight than the actual fight, to the point Eoin was having to steer him back towards talking about the fight and the opinion of the pundits.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Very amusing.

Was a bit disappointed with Gavan Cooney as a contributor. Seemed more concerned with what social media had to say about Katie's fight than the actual fight, to the point Eoin was having to steer him back towards talking about the fight and the opinion of the pundits.

General question if anyone knows. Do pundits in other sports, such as boxing, have more respect than pundits in football? Most people seem to think football pundits are, by in large, useless.

It's something I wonder about when an Olympics is on. Someone commentating on freestyle diving definitely knows more about it than me but they could easily just be talking nonsense in the same way that someone that doesn't follow football might think Danny Mills isn't a massive prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

I thought both of them were at it to be honest. Eoin was asking a lot of questions too about the media, questions relating to last time etc which led GC to respond as he did. Obviously it was a talking point but felt there was at least 5 minutes too long talking about it than the fight itself.

It's not really a sport where much happens so the reaction is probably the normal main talking point.

• Advertisement

Nokotan wrote: »
    General question if anyone knows. Do pundits in other sports, such as boxing, have more respect than pundits in football? Most people seem to think football pundits are, by in large, useless.

It's something I wonder about when an Olympics is on. Someone commentating on freestyle diving definitely knows more about it than me but they could easily just be talking nonsense in the same way that someone that doesn't follow football might think Danny Mills isn't a massive prick.

I think - and this is just my opinion on it - it likely comes across that way because most of us have probably never boxed or freestyle dived in our lives. Where as a huge amount of people watch and play football on a regular basis,and believe they have better knowledge and opinions on the game, and can spot the bluffers amongst the pundits.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I think - and this is just my opinion on it - it likely comes across that way because most of us have probably never boxed or freestyle dived in our lives. Where as a huge amount of people watch and play football on a regular basis,and believe they have better knowledge and opinions on the game, and can spot the bluffers amongst the pundits.

That's what I'm wondering, are there bluffers and spoofers commentating on the free style diving, fencing, squash and show jumping and I'm too ignorant to know or are the standard of pundits in those niche sports just better?

That's what I'm wondering, are there bluffers and spoofers commentating on the free style diving, fencing, squash and show jumping and I'm too ignorant to know or are the standard of pundits in those niche sports just better?

There are bluffers everywhere. Certainly in boxing, and you can see it on the boxing threads here, there are a lot of people who have no respect for the commentators/pundits as they are seen to be biased yours the fighters on the card that are with the main promoter.

Then you have someone like Andy Lee who most people generally seem to like hearing talking about boxing*

*Maybe less so after recent events

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I thought Gavin Cooney sounded like a man completely bluffing yesterday. Everything was vagueish and received wisdom. He sounded like a slightly more informed fan than a regular bar stooler, but it was pretty far from expert analysis.

"She's probably set up for life" - after talking, vaguely, about Katie Taylor supposedly earning over a million a fight. But even the amount of money discussed sounded like it was a guessing game, that he'd read that on twitter, somewhere. Felt all of his contributions yesterday we're like that: no real insight, a bit PR like, stuff other people may have said.

What did Katie do different: eh footwork, eh head movement, she didn't get as tired this time. Basic grade analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

In my experience of olympics coverage they usually try to get someone on RTE who has competed at a high level in the sport they are covering. For things like running, boxing etc. this usually isn't too hard but they struggle when it comes to the more niche sports and I find their coverage pretty poor when that happens. You're as well read up on it yourself at that stage.

BBC on the other hand almost always have someone to hand but they're usually very heavily biased towards team GB athletes and so as a result you have to take what they say with a pinch of salt.

Sky sports pundits IMO are pretty rubbish regardless of sport, they always come across more as hype men than wanting to actually analyse things. Neville can be good at times but Keane, Souness, Redknapp etc. are just caricatures at this stage. If Keane is on he will say something to be controversial, Souness usually the same and Redknapp is just a yes man. The boxing lads are no different IMO.

Agree with Brock Turnpike, almost everyone has an opinion on football as they've played it at one time or another. Combine that with the often toxic fan culture in Ireland (e.g. Liverpool/Utd rivalry) and you'll get people bashing pundits constantly. Personally I never get too worked up about punditry as I rarely watch it, i'd much rather read twitter or websites to get previews/analysis so I don't really care what Keane, Duffer, Giles etc. have said about a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Beersmith wrote: »
    Good episode yesterday. The kenny talking cabbage comment and the coombe raider section at the end was very funny

When i said great episode I did skip the boxing part! Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

First George Gibney episode was very good.
    Chilling at the thoughts of what’s to come.
    Brilliant work from Mark and crew

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Obrieski wrote: »

Kinda reminded me of Serial/S-town stylistically. Very well produced. Looking forward to it. Wish I was coming at it after it was finished so I could listen to a few at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭Raoul

Definitely influenced by those podcasts. Less than half an hour though. I wonder will there be longer episodes or how many episodes will there be. It feels weird waiting a week for something.

Really good though with some stomach turning moments in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

was very good. listened to it driving in and out of work. i am invested in it and the characters already.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Anyone else find all the Messi talk a bit exasperating yesterday? I know it's a big story, but really does anyone actually believe he'll really end up leaving Barcelona in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Thread on it here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058108080

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭boccy23

Arghus wrote: »
    Anyone else find all the Messi talk a bit exasperating yesterday? I know it's a big story, but really does anyone actually believe he'll really end up leaving Barcelona in the end?

Totally!

I had no idea who Gibney was until a quick Wikipedia search yesterday but the podcast itself is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Arghus wrote: »

It's absolute nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Very amusing.

Gavin Casey*. Gavin Cooney is the lad they have on to talk about the FAI and he's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Raoul wrote: »
    Definitely influenced by those podcasts. Less than half an hour though. I wonder will there be longer episodes or how many episodes will there be. It feels weird waiting a week for something.

Really good though with some stomach turning moments in it too.

10 episodes according to Wednesday's pod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Hippo

Caitlin Thompson should replace US Murph. If she doesn't know anything about the NFL she can learn, great contributor.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Hippo wrote: »
    Caitlin Thompson should replace US Murph. If she doesn't know anything about the NFL she can learn, great contributor.

I don't mind US Murph but I don't really care about US sports. But Caitlin draws my into whatever she's talking about. Always excellent. Her and Eoin have a great rapport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

humberklog wrote: »
    I don't mind US Murph but I don't really care about US sports. But Caitlin draws my into whatever she's talking about. Always excellent. Her and Eoin have a great rapport

Surely you mean Ewan

Hippo wrote: »

Agreed, getting very sick of US murphs shtick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭sheroman01

When you hear Ken and Eoin on the Where is George Gibney podcast :pac:

kjSKRgz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Seamy Fitz

Beersmith wrote: »
    Agreed, getting very sick of US murphs shtick

You don't know what you're talking about even if you have stayed alive for 60 odd years.

Were the guys suggesting an article ken wrote years ago was the first time the term farmers league was used?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

I thought the Maguire bits this week were a little smarmy/wankery/pious...

Advertisement