Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Beersmith wrote: »
    Found it really puzzling listening to their talk earlier in the week about people's accents changing depending on where they were or who they are with. This I thought was common knowledge and referred to in general in society.

In particular I found Ken's disbelief in someone changing their accent for reasons of fitting in etc when he himself last month made fun of ciarans pronunciation of the word 'made'

Jonathan Wilson is the best example of this. I though he was taking the píss the first time I heard him taking with his Sunderland accent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Dante

Found it really puzzling listening to their talk earlier in the week about people's accents changing depending on where they were or who they are with. This I thought was common knowledge and referred to in general in society.

In particular I found Ken's disbelief in someone changing their accent for reasons of fitting in etc when he himself last month made fun of ciarans pronunciation of the word 'made'
    Having just moved back to Dublin after 8 years in London, I can confirm this is most definitely true. I get awful abuse when on the phone to work colleagues in the UK, I go from Northsider Dublin to Made In Chelsea in a drop of a hat :(

I feel a bit like Shteve McClaren during his stint in Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Cienciano wrote: »
    Jonathan Wilson is the best example of this. I though he was taking the píss the first time I heard him taking with his Sunderland accent

That was so strange, it sounded put on but obviously wasn't.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Janey, I heard it cometely differently. As in I thought Ken understood why there was a change in accent and even threw in his experience with his father on the phone.

I thought it was a clever enough comparison using the recent OTB nterview with Dermot Gallagher and his change of accent for assimilation into the '70's UK and McClean's attitude.

I lived in England for 8 years and certainly adopted my pronunciation for clarity in communication not because of redicule (which I never experienced). And when I'm talking to non-Irish people I've a tendency to slip back into that diction (Th's, pauses, etc.).

Gallagher is one end of the spectrum of assimilation and McClean the other and when you're in England you'd bump into this with the Irish. Some "rub up" the English wrong way.

It took up a lot of space on the podcast, but I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Nokotan wrote: »
    Fair play to them yesterday reading out the criticism of their McLean chat yesterday. It took up a lot of the pod (maybe too much) but it's rare that a podcast would challenge themselves like that I believe.

Yes, fully agree. I thought I was a bit Mcleaned-out but their responses to the reaction was, I thought, very interesting.

They handled it in a very good way. Allowed for opposing views, but tried to explain in greater detail where they were coming from - a very honest and thoughtful segment. It's a complicated subject.

It’s probably not necessary to bring OTB into it, but I find it hard to pictures those lads (a) being equally capable of fleshing out ambiguities in opinion like that or (b) being willing to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

humberklog wrote: »
    Janey, I heard it cometely differently. As in I thought Ken understood why there was a change in accent and even threw in his experience with his father on the phone.

I think ken recalled his father afterwards alright but it felt like that was just a funny habit his father picked up. To actually consciously do it to fit in to ken seemed unthinkable.

One or maybe two of us picked it up wrong and maybe it was a duffer slagging alan kelly like sceanrio

Having just moved back to Dublin after 8 years in London, I can confirm this is most definitely true. I get awful abuse when on the phone to work colleagues in the UK, I go from Northsider Dublin to Made In Chelsea in a drop of a hat :(

I feel a bit like Shteve McClaren during his stint in Holland.

Or ah, how you say, ah, Joey, uh Barton when ee was een a France zat time?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

I think ye have definitely took up Ken wrong there. It wasn't that he was surprised people do it to fit in, more the lengths of the likes of broadcasters (in the case of Gallagher) making such a big deal about it. Such a double standard too, I'd seriously doubt Sky are on to Roy Keane regularly asking him to tone down the Cork accent a bit, or for Patrice Evra to flatten out his dulcet French tones.

Fair play to the lads for trying to make sense of the situation anyway, except Murph who was his usual insipid self going on about Meyler or Longford accents or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I think ye have definitely took up Ken wrong there. It wasn't that he was surprised people do it to fit in, more the lengths of the likes of broadcasters (in the case of Gallagher) making such a big deal about it. Such a double standard too, I'd seriously doubt Sky are on to Roy Keane regularly asking him to tone down the Cork accent a bit, or for Patrice Evra to flatten out his dulcet French tones.

Fair play to the lads for trying to make sense of the situation anyway, except Murph who was his usual insipid self going on about Meyler or Longford accents or whatever.

There is no mystery here, it's all down to timing. I've lived outside of Ireland for 10 years now and your accent gradually neutralizes as you adopt to your surroundings. If it doesn't you simply won't be understood.

Keane and Evra have both lived in the UK for a long time before they started media duties so the naturalization process was already well established.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I listened to OTB for the first time last week and thought it was pretty poor. The whole thing just felt very bland and uninspiring with no real chemistry between the presenters/guests. Its something I would listen purely because its on, as opposed to the SC which I actively look forward to every afternoon. Maybe I'm just biased after years of SC though.

OTB has got very Talksporty in certain parts where you feel they are sometimes saying stuff just to get a reaction.

It's not all like that but that element has definitely creeped in.

• Advertisement

If anyone is bored, there's 2 James McClean stories about the abuse on the Daily Mail website. Comments are not exactly sympathetic as you'd expect from the mail. Interesting to read though just so you can see what the typical little englander thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Cienciano wrote: »
    If anyone is bored, there's 2 James McClean stories about the abuse on the Daily Mail website. Comments are not exactly sympathetic as you'd expect from the mail. Interesting to read though just so you can see what the typical little englander thinks.

The Daily Mail comments section is usually the preserve of the nutter at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The Daily Mail comments section is usually the preserve of the nutter at the best of times.

It's like AH here...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

A Friday pod again to make Murph relevant, will be giving it a miss

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭duffman13

kilns wrote: »
    A Friday pod again to make Murph relevant, will be giving it a miss

I like Murph, found the pod a little difficult to listen to, not a lot of structure to it and Malachy was a bit sidelined and constantly getting cut across. He's a side kick and a stand in but struggles without Ken or Eoin.

Over the years Simon has definitely improved massively though, I used to find him awkward but he seems very comfortable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭jones

I wonder will Mark Horgan even stand in as host again now he's finished with the Gibney stuff.

It is, but each person is also a real person walking around the street who holds those views. The Sun and The Mail are the best selling newspapers in the UK, so lots of people hold similar views there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Daily mail and Ewan being brought up here is really lowering the bar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭deisedude

This is the same fella who is always personally attacking people on Twitter late at night after too many drinks. He is the cliche alcoholic hack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

McKenna on a morale high horse is the height of all ironies given some of his comments over the years..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

He just directly went after Ken on Twitter. This is serious folks.

He just directly went after Ken on Twitter. This is serious folks.
    or might be just more attention seeking from that muppet McKenna...

What’s it about anyway? Think the last one I listened to was the GAA stasi one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

or might be just more attention seeking from that muppet McKenna...

He is tweeting about “aids ridden whores wanting to survive”... it does read like the ramblings of a drunk...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

He was lashing out at Off The Ball and Matt Cooper recently too, Niall Boylan is the only one in Irish media who will entertain him these days, says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Why is he attacking the lads now? I must've missed what they said. Had to unfollow him on Twitter a while ago.. Just a mean spirited contrarian who always thinks he's right... and if he's not deletes the tweets. Also gets abusive after a few, then deletes them in the morning. His life must be a complete misery. It's sad to see.

Still Ill wrote: »
    Why is he attacking the lads now? I must've missed what they said. Had to unfollow him on Twitter a while ago.. Just a mean spirited contrarian who always thinks he's right... and if he's not deletes the tweets. Also gets abusive after a few, then deletes them in the morning. His life must be a complete misery. It's sad to see.
    there's a reason the indo and Pundit Arena washed their hands with him

What did SC say though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Malachy made a joke in the movie pod. Something along the lines of Murph said "this is like an outreach program for GAA reporters so we don't go mad" and Malachy said "or turn into Ewan".

I actually wasn't sure if I heard it right but it sounded like he said Ewan anyway. Not sure why he's going after Ken when he wasn't even on the pod. Also Malachy isn't wrong, Ewan has gone completely off the rails since covid, Wooly is too IMO.

Its always telling when his tweet is him asking for a "debate" as well.

• Advertisement

Some hilarious replies on Twitter

Advertisement