Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Jim Root wrote: »
    I thought the Maguire bits this week were a little smarmy/wankery/pious...

Yeah, originally after reading the headlines I thought Harry Maguire was the usual drunken idiot but i genuinely believed him in the interview. Think he got ****ed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

The veil definitely slipped with the lads over the last two years or so. It's a left wing echo chamber. I suppose it is good for business so it's understandable. I remember Ken talking to Laura Kennedy about Jordan Peterson. He stated that when Peterson said he was a clinical psychologist his immediate reaction was "so what". He could take a lesson out of his his own comments regarding John Giles.... " its not a case of what they are saying it's a case of who is saying it".

Still the best sports pod out there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    The veil definitely slipped with the lads over the last two years or so. It's a left wing echo chamber. I suppose it is good for business so it's understandable. I remember Ken talking to Laura Kennedy about Jordan Peterson. He stated that when Peterson said he was a clinical psychologist his immediate reaction was "so what". He could take a lesson out of his his own comments regarding John Giles.... " its not a case of what they are saying it's a case of who is saying it".

Wouldnt consider myself left wing or I certainly havent noticed it. Usually with podcasts you can pick it up fairly quickly but I have been listening to them years and it hasnt smacked me in the face yet. I just started the blindboy podcast and he is pretty good on some stuff but overtly left leaning from what I have heard so far.

Jordan Peterson is like a touch point for a lot of people. Take his political and religious views out and I can listen to him as he is interesting on certain topics. I dunno maybe I am just too thick to notice whether someone is left leaning or right leaning unless there are very clear on it. As you said, its the best sports podcast out there and that is why I listen to it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

God I remember way back on Newstalk, them talking to and being very supportive of Tommie Smith and John Carlos, when have they not been a "Left wing echo chamber"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

duffman13 wrote: »
    I just started the blindboy podcast and he is pretty good on some stuff but overtly left leaning from what I have heard so far.

I heard him criticize Obama for the drone strikes a few times and he called Joe Biden a prick a while ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

TRANQUILLO wrote: »

Fùckin veil. There is no veil. What does that even mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ol' Donie wrote: »

It just means that the usual bolloxology that fills up elsewhere on the site is here now too.

I wouldn't say any veil has slipped with the lads in relation to how they talk about political or cultural hot topics. They've been pretty consistent in all of the fourteen years I've been listening to them.

Everything sounds like a "left wing echo chamber" if you're to the right of it. And if you post about it on boards.ie chances are you are pretty far to that right IMO.

Looking back on that Peterson talk. I thought it was a really good example of Ken not being afraid to make an ass of himself, almost on purpose, in order to stimulate a worthwhile conversation. Ken rhymed off his hot-takes on Peterson and Laura Kennedy examined them and tried to put what Peterson was saying in a bit of a wider context. I thought it was one of the fairer examples of a discussion about Peterson in the media at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Some dumb ****e pulled from American trash sites where being of a social/liberal disposition is almost like something you'd try to hide publicly.. you know the usual "keep politics out of x" when really it means "keep your politics out of x but I'll be happy to have mine"..

There's been a few fellas in this thread getting fierce upset with the lads over their perceived leftiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Arghus wrote: »
    Looking back on that Peterson talk. I thought it was a really good example of Ken not being afraid to make an ass of himself, almost on purpose, in order to stimulate a worthwhile conversation. Ken rhymed off his hot-takes on Peterson and Laura Kennedy examined them and tried to put what Peterson was saying in a bit of a wider context. I thought it was one of the fairer examples of a discussion about Peterson in the media at the time.

Sounds excellent- searching back and downloading that one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I heard him criticize Obama for the drone strikes a few times and he called Joe Biden a prick a while ago.

I know this is a second captains thread and should stay like that, but Blindboy is a prat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

In fairness this thread remains one of the few the places that has managed to avoid infiltration from the right wingers who've taken over most of the site at this stage.

Its good to see that as soon as someone tries to start that ****e in here they get shot down straight away.

Anyway, on topic, thought the rugby pods recently have been pretty poor. I'm not sure if its just me or if my interest in rugby has waned but I really couldn't care less about the PRO 14 at the minute, just seems like an after thought. Would much rather more coverage of the NBA playoffs and associated protests than Shane Horgan on about the provinces struggles or Leinsters superiority.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

It’s inevitable that Ken gets canceled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

In fairness this thread remains one of the few the places that has managed to avoid infiltration from the right wingers who've taken over most of the site at this stage.

Its good to see that as soon as someone tries to start that ****e in here they get shot down straight away.

Anyway, on topic, thought the rugby pods recently have been pretty poor. I'm not sure if its just me or if my interest in rugby has waned but I really couldn't care less about the PRO 14 at the minute, just seems like an after thought. Would much rather more coverage of the NBA playoffs and associated protests than Shane Horgan on about the provinces struggles or Leinsters superiority.

Yeah, I basically listened to the start and end of yesterday's pod and skipped most of the middle after a few minutes of trying to listen to the rugby chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Raoul wrote: »
    Yeah, I basically listened to the start and end of yesterday's pod and skipped most of the middle after a few minutes of trying to listen to the rugby chat.

Did the exact same except for the few minutes of trying to listen to the rugby. Rarely watch rugby and generally the rugby talk is so dry that it would be pointless for a casual to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭dog_pig

lawred2 wrote: »
    Some dumb ****e pulled from American trash sites where being of a social/liberal disposition is almost like something you'd try to hide publicly.. you know the usual "keep politics out of x" when really it means "keep your politics out of x but I'll be happy to have mine"..

There's been a few fellas in this thread getting fierce upset with the lads over their perceived leftiness.

Trash? Is that like rubbish?

Rugby chat is an instant skip for me too, pure listening to explaining the mechanics of paint drying. The corportist vibe of a lot of their contributors makes their words sound like the sporting cousins of business BS speak - which gets to the heart of why I increasingly find myself disliking rugby more as the years go on.

You listen to the bit at the start and the bit at the end and excise the Shane Horgan filler in the middle. He talks a lot. Does he ever say anything interesting?

Genuine question.

We should be thankful. Have a look at the Off The Ball thread in the radio forum.

The absolute state of it. The absolute state of 90% of threads on the site with more than 100 replies.

How this thread has stayed sane and relatively civil over the course of 10,000 posts is a minor Boards miracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

Rugby chat is an instant skip for me too, pure listening to explaining the mechanics of paint drying. The corportist vibe of a lot of their contributors makes their words sound like the sporting cousins of business BS speak - which gets to the heart of why I increasingly find myself disliking rugby more as the years go on.

You listen to the bit at the start and the bit at the end and excise the Shane Horgan filler in the middle. He talks a lot. Does he ever say anything interesting?

Genuine question.

I dont mind Horgan. Does have some good insights but he very much stays on the topic he knows (Ireland, Leinster and to a certain degree Munster) but rarely talks with any great detail on the other two provinces or non-Irish teams. Might be an overly harsh criticism but he has a very monotone delivery compared to the three lads or other contributors which is very noticeable to me. Compared to some other podcasts covering rugby (e.g. House of rugby which leans way too far into lads banter for my taste or the Left Wing which i find genuinely bad) I'm happy enough with the second captains coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

We should be thankful. Have a look at the Off The Ball thread in the radio forum.

The absolute state of it. The absolute state of 90% of threads on the site with more than 100 replies.

How this thread has stayed sane and relatively civil over the course of 10,000 posts is a minor Boards miracle.

You're just saying that cos you never got over Crooked Hilary not getting elected...

...is a common enough response round here. More common than you'd expect in a country where nobody cares at all about Hillary Clinton.

Remember the state of the first thread when they did a politics pod just after Trump got elected because they dared to criticise the great man, that crowd seems to have gone away, I dread to think what the OTB thread would look like if they carried out an idenical interview with Danny Rose, I love that this thread exists in a vaccum and anyone that spouts that sh1te is shouted down pretty quickly.
    kilns wrote: »
    I know this is a second captains thread and should stay like that, but Blindboy is a prat

I've a hard time hating someone that comes with something this catchy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

It just means that the usual bolloxology that fills up elsewhere on the site is here now too.

I wouldn't say any veil has slipped with the lads in relation to how they talk about political or cultural hot topics. They've been pretty consistent in all of the fourteen years I've been listening to them.

Everything sounds like a "left wing echo chamber" if you're to the right of it. And if you post about it on boards.ie chances are you are pretty far to that right IMO.

I can't remember this pod, any chance you could find which episode number it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Listened today, missed it at the time but I found it thoroughly enjoyable. Ken was a passenger a bit, never heard of Laura before this but felt she was incredibly balanced

duffman13 wrote: »
    Listened today, missed it at the time but I found it thoroughly enjoyable. Ken was a passenger a bit, never heard of Laura before this but felt she was incredibly balanced

She was really great wasn't she? Very fair. Writes mainly about make-up in the times, but she's obviously got a background in philosophy and social sciences. Very intelligent and perceptive. I felt it was the only time I'd heard someone discuss Jordan Peterson without having their mind totally made up beforehand one way or the other. Depending on who you listen to he's either a nutter or a genius. I think she's been on a couple of other times over the years. Always very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

I’d imagine nothing gets resolved at Offaly board meetings with Michael Duignan as chairman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Yeah the site has gone to the dogs altogether in the last few years. Headcases on every thread. Current affairs is an absolute dumpster fire.

Would really hate to see us go down the same path of America in terms of two firmly entrenched sides at war constantly but I feel likw the slide has already started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I really don't care about a review of 'on the waterfront' in a sports podcast. Why like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Murph and mal movies is comfortably the worst segment in rotation at the moment. Murph is good foil for the lads but should not have a starring role in anything. Especially if its not even sport related really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭jones

D.Q wrote: »
    Murph and mal movies is comfortably the worst segment in rotation at the moment. Murph is good foil for the lads but should not have a starring role in anything. Especially if its not even sport related really.

Normally I'd agree with you but thought today's one was the best they've done although that may be because I love both the films there were talking about.

Advertisement