Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

D.Q wrote: »
    Murph and mal movies is comfortably the worst segment in rotation at the moment. Murph is good foil for the lads but should not have a starring role in anything. Especially if its not even sport related really.

Agreed.

Murph obviously knows his films - not everyone can reference Wayne's World 2 and The Leopard in a movie conversation - but I find the segment pretty forgettable, even more so than the book club, which can occasionally be interesting depending on the guest.

It's just two lads talking about films, which you mainly haven't seen. And both of them aren't really leaders of conversation. Murph is very knowledgeable and all, but can't really make the discussions about anything other than mentioning parts of the film. And Malachy Clerkin, god love him, is quite boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Agree re: the movie club being a drag but it's still infinitely more interesting than the rugby and GAA discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Agree re: the movie club being a drag but it's still infinitely more interesting than the rugby and GAA discussions.

I skip all three! Still plenty of content to keep me interested throughout the week though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ah they are no worse than hours of talk of expected goal or which overpayed mercenary is going where every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,554 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Arghus wrote: »
    Anyone else find all the Messi talk a bit exasperating yesterday? I know it's a big story, but really does anyone actually believe he'll really end up leaving Barcelona in the end?

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

It just means that the usual bolloxology that fills up elsewhere on the site is here now too.

I wouldn't say any veil has slipped with the lads in relation to how they talk about political or cultural hot topics. They've been pretty consistent in all of the fourteen years I've been listening to them.

Everything sounds like a "left wing echo chamber" if you're to the right of it. And if you post about it on boards.ie chances are you are pretty far to that right IMO.

Looking back on that Peterson talk. I thought it was a really good example of Ken not being afraid to make an ass of himself, almost on purpose, in order to stimulate a worthwhile conversation. Ken rhymed off his hot-takes on Peterson and Laura Kennedy examined them and tried to put what Peterson was saying in a bit of a wider context. I thought it was one of the fairer examples of a discussion about Peterson in the media at the time.

I thought she was very good that day regarding Peterson and then let herself down on the Belfast Rugby trial one ( im 90% sure it was her, hope I am not confusing her with the normally brilliant Angela Nagle).

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Fùckin veil. There is no veil. What does that even mean?

I do remember when they were looking for a name for Kens politics pods and people were sending in their suggestions the echo chamber was actually suggested as a name. They gave a hearty chuckle.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Wouldnt consider myself left wing or I certainly havent noticed it. Usually with podcasts you can pick it up fairly quickly but I have been listening to them years and it hasnt smacked me in the face yet. I just started the blindboy podcast and he is pretty good on some stuff but overtly left leaning from what I have heard so far.

Jordan Peterson is like a touch point for a lot of people. Take his political and religious views out and I can listen to him as he is interesting on certain topics. I dunno maybe I am just too thick to notice whether someone is left leaning or right leaning unless there are very clear on it. As you said, its the best sports podcast out there and that is why I listen to it.

I have noticed it lately with McWilliams, Blindboy and the second captains lads. You just always know what side of the debate they will come down on before they speak now. Blindboy has been unlistenable for the best art of 18 months. McWilliams is another weekly listen but I feel he's gone which ever way the wind is blowing now too.

Im waiting in the long grass to see whether Andy Lee gets free ride regarding the MTK stuff next time there is a big fight on.

I love their football coverage. Kens diatribes are exactly what im after. Best sports podcast out there .

The george gibney one is such a rip off of serial season 1. The car conversations , the piano music. Almost identikit podcasting by numbers.

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    I thought she was very good that day regarding Peterson and then let herself down on the Belfast Rugby trial one ( im 90% sure it was her, hope I am not confusing her with the normally brilliant Angela Nagle).

That was Sinéad O' Carroll who "let herself down" - whatever that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

TRANQUILLO wrote: »

The george gibney one is such a rip off of serial season 1. The car conversations , the piano music. Almost identikit podcasting by numbers.

No. Not even remotely true.

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    :D:D:D

I couldn't believe the amount of talk that was going on when it was clear that Messi going was never going to happen.

The football media is so full of shyte. So much of football coverage is such hot air.

healy1835 wrote: »
    No. Not even remotely true.

In your opinion.

That was Sinéad O' Carroll who "let herself down" - whatever that means.

Thats the one ! My apologies to Laura Kennedy for the disservice.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

I thought the fixation about mick McCarthy’s comments, in the post match analysis pod, pretty weird. Tell me about the game lads.

Jim Root wrote: »
    I thought the fixation about mick McCarthy’s comments, in the post match analysis pod, pretty weird. Tell me about the game lads.

I thought they went on about it far too much as well. It didn't bother me that he did it - he's not busy and no one knows more about the Irish team than him.

".. he doesn't struggle to get back to sleep after waking at 5AM... to go the toilet"

A bit of middle aged ennui there from Ken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭Raoul

I thought they went on about it far too much as well. It didn't bother me that he did it - he's not busy and no one knows more about the Irish team than him.

".. he doesn't struggle to get back to sleep after waking at 5AM... to go the toilet"

A bit of middle aged ennui there from Ken.

Haha. I was thinking that myself too about Ken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I thought the chat about Mick was great, very funny. Fully justified too. Ridiculous that Mick was on commentating on that game telling us what should be happening after the muck he served up for 18 months.

I'm surprised they didn't mention McCarthys claim that Shane Long was injured for his whole time in the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭Raoul

I'm surprised they didn't mention McCarthys claim that Shane Long was injured for his whole time in the job.

I think they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Raoul wrote: »
    I think they did.

They didn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

I’m looking forward to the lads’ take on the Djokovic disqualification. The holier-than-thou style rules of tennis and golf are exactly the type of thing to send Ken off on a rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I’m looking forward to the lads’ take on the Djokovic disqualification. The holier-than-thou style rules of tennis and golf are exactly the type of thing to send Ken off on a rant.

I still remember his rant about Steve Williams, Tiger's old caddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Ken on Darren Randolph in his report on the Finland game:
    At one point in the Bulgaria game last Thursday, Randolph could be overheard micro-managing Shane Duffy after the centre-back had put the ball out of play and then picked it up. Randolph didn’t want Duffy to let Bulgaria make a quick restart. “Don’t give it back to him! Drop it, drop it!” he urged, like an unsporting manager in an under-8s game, except it was Ireland’s captain he was ordering about...At one point in the first half Finland strung together what seemed like about 150 passes, with Randolph sounding increasingly like someone having a meltdown in a zombie movie: “Check the shoulder! Keep them outside! KEEP THEM OUTSIDE! GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT!”

Genius:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

'He passed up the opportunity to meet Nelson Mandela to be fresh and ready for a David Beckham hairstyle unveiling'

Possibly Ken's best work yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Was looking forward to the Patriots segment when I saw it in the episode description, but that guy was ridiculously biased in his view of their past transgressions. Not a great listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Still Ill wrote: »
    Was looking forward to the Patriots segment when I saw it in the episode description, but that guy was ridiculously biased in his view of their past transgressions. Not a great listen.

He was shocking, absolutely 100% Pats fanboy. I thought I was hearing things when he said about the phone being destroyed every year. This despite we were all bombarded with the below story for a solid week barely a month back. He must have thought being an Irish pod he could bull**** them. Surely he'd have heard this himself? Pity Eoin didn't pull him on it.

https://www.insider.com/tom-brady-earns-25-million-per-year-uses-iphone-6-2020-8

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/08/buccaneers-tom-brady-iphone-6-jokes

Ken was left ruefully considering how badly he fell for the obvious Messi baloney. We all love him, but he can get too excited at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,137 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Still Ill wrote: »
    He was shocking, absolutely 100% Pats fanboy. I thought I was hearing things when he said about the phone being destroyed every year. This despite we were all bombarded with the below story for a solid week barely a month back. He must have thought being an Irish pod he could bull**** them. Surely he'd have heard this himself? Pity Eoin didn't pull him on it.

https://www.insider.com/tom-brady-earns-25-million-per-year-uses-iphone-6-2020-8

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/08/buccaneers-tom-brady-iphone-6-jokes

Saw these comments. Assumed it was over the top. Just listened now. That guy was painful. What I took from it is that Tom Brady is amazing. Bill Belichick is unreal. Robert Kraft should be a diplomat. The Patriots are world famous.

I nearly gave up right at the start when he said the Patriots are the biggest team, by far, in the area. I'm pretty confident that the Celtics and (in particular) the Red Sox would like to debate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

dulpit wrote: »
    Saw these comments. Assumed it was over the top. Just listened now. That guy was painful. What I took from it is that Tom Brady is amazing. Bill Belichick is unreal. Robert Kraft should be a diplomat. The Patriots are world famous.

I nearly gave up right at the start when he said the Patriots are the biggest team, by far, in the area. I'm pretty confident that the Celtics and (in particular) the Red Sox would like to debate that.

I did a quick google last night to see were there any reviews of the book but couldn't find anything other than some interviews with the author. I'd love to read a review to see if there are discrepancies in his version of events. I'm not even particularly bothered about the Pats success and the stuff they got up to, I don't like them sure but I don't really care all that much about deflategate or spygate but he seemed to be totally re-writing history and basically saying it was all no big deal and the Pats are great.

I also can't believe any researcher/author would prefer written response to interview questions, surely you get less off the cuff remarks then and the respondant can ensure they say nothing incriminating. Which is what it sounds like Bill did for this book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,137 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I also can't believe any researcher/author would prefer written response to interview questions, surely you get less off the cuff remarks then and the respondant can ensure they say nothing incriminating. Which is what it sounds like Bill did for this book.

Meant to say that too, it was like he was saying it was okay that he was pawned off, he prefered that.. :rolleyes:

Advertisement