Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Also the nch has a capacity of over 1000. That's a pretty big crowd. Liberty Hall I would have thought would be about half that. Like people said, if they did this a month after the airing maybe it would draw but it's too late now and I think it's too expensive. And I say that as someone who listened to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

I think they mentioned a capacity in Liberty Hall of 450.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I honestly don't get the appeal of the live shows generally.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I'm not bothered about seeing a live show, if I was nearer to Dublin I probably would go, I would have gone to the George Hamilton one if I was guaranteed a ticket for it, it sounded brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Raoul

I don't think that's necessarily true. I have been to two second captains shows and a couple of OTB shows. There wasn't really much heckling done at any of them.

I don't think I would go to any more of them though. Just can't be bothered with the hassle of going to Dublin city center for something that I will eventually hear anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

Shame they don't go around to the likes of Cork, Limerick and Galway for a night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Surprised they haven't done this. I'd go see them in Cork but I wouldn't travel to Dublin to see them.

Enjoyed the David Snyed and Brian Kerr even if Kerr can be a bit grating at times.

David singing was a bit awkward though, the man hasn't a note in his body

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I saw them in Cork a few years back. Didi Hamann and Paul McGrath (unfortunately "under the weather") were there. Was much better in person than listening back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Been to one in Kilkenny before. Nobody was pissed nobody heckled. Great laugh, they didn't broadcast a lot of the content as it was Richie giving out about the RTE panel. Well worth going to a live show. The podcasts are only snippets of the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Was at that one too. Great night. They were in the little bar next door to the Set later that night drinking.

The live shows I've gone to haven't really contained much heckling, in fact I can't recall any heckling off the top of my head.

Yeah it was the day of the champions league final. I remember them hanging around afterwards in the bar. They were hanging around out the beer garden before the show also but that was only because ken was smoking ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Most people are drinking, but no one is shitfaced. Live shows are great, guardian live shows are very good too. Definitely recommend them for a night out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Their football coverage hasn't been great lately.

Yesterdays pod barely touched on the games at the weekend. They try to keep the good stuff for the world service I believe but don't seem to realise the world service members are listening on Monday also.

I'm finding there is far too much GAA on the podcast these days. Not even in the championship yet and they are getting a lot of air time.

The Podcast needs more Jonathan Wilson. He's hardly been on recently

Don't think I'll be rushing out to get the Second Captains jersey. Very steep at 60 euros

To be fair to them it's a jersey. It was hardly not going to be the going rate for a new jersey, in fact it's a bit lower and especially the long sleeve version. Saying that the sizing comments they made and the fact that it's not that nice means I won't personally getting one.

Not for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,738 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Looking forward to the match tonight...Burnley vs. FLBFFC* if only to hear Ken's reactions

*Frank Lampards Bollloxless Freaks FC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I just hope Frank comes up with some post match lunacy for Ken to feed off of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just the usual "individual errors" i.e. throw the players under the bus. Burnley have to be favourites to stay up now. It helps they're not managed by a clown.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

He didn't so much but Sean Dyche came out with a cracker in his post match interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

On the George Gibney show, I would echo the comments earlier- it’s just not a show or a topic that you consume in a communal way.

The podcast was top notch but I’d have zero interest in going to listen to a live show on it

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I know he never made much sense at the best of times, but what in the name of Jesus is Trump on about in that soup clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Still Ill

He was talking about protestors throwing tins of soup at protests/riots I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Way, way too much time dedicated to Matt Le Tissier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭I see sheep

It was very rambling from Ken and I usually like Ken's rambles but I still don't know what Le Tiss posted about Ukraine after listening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Knowing Matt Le Tissier it was something incredibly stupid related to conspiracy theories

Ken reads out the tweet. Around 23/24 minutes in

• Advertisement

Basically Matt Le Tosser is saying Bucha massacre is a conspiracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, it's, like, holocaust/aremenian genocide denier-level stuff. Nuts.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

crazy take from Wilson that Ronaldo wasn't that good at Real Madrid cos he only won 2 leagues. Ronaldo scored more goals than games played for Real Madrid, 311 goals in 292 games

Personal stats doesn't make a player a good fit for a team though. The simple fact: 2 leagues in 11 seasons...

2 leagues …..and 4 champions league…. And 2 Copa Del Rey and Real Madrids all time top scorer….total flop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

As a spurs supporter, we have signed many a flop in my years of supporting them.

I can safely say we have never signed a flop as good as Ronaldo.

• Advertisement

Awful take..even Ken had to stop him in his tracks. Ha

I dunno, I didn't think he was actually being serious and was just being contrarian because he was talking with Ken.

Ken talking about Atletico and Real Madrid's chances was highly entertaining.

I wonder if they'll finally talk about mtk and the links to the Kinahans with today's news...

I'd say Real Madrid could win the Champions League and Ken would still find fault with how managed to win it

• Advertisement

Interesting conversation about the Kinahans. Although odd that they referred to Michael Conlon multiple times, but never mentioned the Andy Lee trained world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury...

They are really p1ssing me off the way they won't put their hand up and admit they were wrong in interviewing Michael Conlon

I saw one comment on Twitter that made a very good point that they made a big song and dance of not interviewing Rory Best on moral grounds when he was promoting his book because he wouldn't answer questions on the Jackson/Olding case but they had no problem interviewing Michael Conlon without asking hard questions.

Asking him for an interview again is like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭The Davestator

That's your opinion. I don't think they were wrong to interview Conlan. I enjoyed the interview. And, if you look at who is behind various teams / boxers etc., they would have trouble interviewing anyone without dodgy connections. Newcastle, Chelsea, Everton, Don King fighters, Rooney, Giggs, Terry, Fury etc etc have all been or an involved with dodgy characters or have been guilty of something.

Why do you decide who they get to interview or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭al87987

Pretty sure Eoin held his hands up a couple of times saying they could have done a better job with the questions they put to Conlon

I think they regret a lot about that Michael Conlon interview - Eoin said as much - they didn't have to do a show about the Kinahan/MTK story, boxing isn't one of their staple sports and they could have stayed silent until the heat of the news story died. The fact that they did and were willing to voice their own regrets was actually kind of big of them in my opinion.

People doubted that they were even going to talk about it and they talked about, dedicated a whole show to it, talked about their regrets about they handled an interview and yet I still get a whiff of almost gleeful moral absolutism about them not going far enough. I think they've made a genuine attempt to address some of what people have complained about, which they were under no obligation to do, and they are just ordinary people, capable of mistakes, not moral arbiters.

I was one of the people calling them out over it at the time. I don't think they should have done it in the first place but I don't know what else they could so to rectify it.

Lad, you'll be glad to know I forgive you

I heard Dunphy on his podcast say he received a letter threatening legal action over him discussing the Kinahans and boxing, he ignored it. Talks about the Kinahans at least once a week.

I do wonder if the second captains also received threats of legal action over MTK…. ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Timestamps on todays Pod !!!!.

Hopefully they include them going forward.

They need to have Mark on more often.

• Advertisement
Advertisement