Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a new NAS with Raid capability

Options
  • 27-07-2020 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭

My mrs has a lot pf photographs now, and they are backed up in a few difference clouds but id like to upgrade my NAS to have them all stored physically as well.

I have an old synology DS115j which feels very slow .

What would be worth upgrading too? ideally id like to have 4-tb or so in storage in raid config for redundancy.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Cyrus wrote: »
    My mrs has a lot pf photographs now, and they are backed up in a few difference clouds but id like to upgrade my NAS to have them all stored physically as well.

Why are you looking for "Raid capability" Speed or Backup.

Raid is not a form of backup, two seperate 1disk NAS units would be a better backup option than a 2Disk NAS

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Why are you looking for "Raid capability" Speed or Backup.

Raid is not a form of backup, two seperate 1disk NAS units would be a better backup option than a 2Disk NAS

well id set them up as raid 1, so if one disk failed i have another, or am i misunderstanding how it works?

well id set them up as raid 1, so if one disk failed i have another, or am i misunderstanding how it works?

Repeating my question, are you using RAID-1 to improve performance, or a backup.

As a form of backup, RAID is a bad idea, it does give a form of high availability, so that if one drive fails, the other continues, but if the RAID unit itself fails, the drives are still good, but you might never be able to access the contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Repeating my question, are you using RAID-1 to improve performance, or a backup.

As a form of backup, RAID is a bad idea, it does give a form of high availability, so that if one drive fails, the other continues, but if the RAID unit itself fails, the drives are still good, but you might never be able to access the contents.

The Raid could be rebuilt in the event of failure though. Separate storage units are fine with software to mirror but then you have to manage failures.

as backup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Go for another Synology, 2 Bay. 218Plus/Play or whatever the current model is. Mine is getting old it's a 214Play. Recently added 2 x 8Tb drives. Drives are mirrored for redundancy.

as backup.

Perhaps get new 2 bay unit, with RAID, and keep the old unit as your backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

To be clear on what Ger is hinting at: No RAID is backup.

RAID is fault tolerance, not backup.

ED E wrote: »
    To be clear on what Ger is hinting at: No RAID is backup.

It wasn't a hint, i did say RAID is a bad idea for backup.

can i get a 2 bay unit and have the drivers mirrored in some way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

It wasn't a hint, i did say RAID is a bad idea for backup.

Cyrus did state that the NAS was a backup for the existing cloud storage.

RAID 1 is an acceptable option to have on a home storage device to add a bit of redundancy. (As opposed to striped RAID 5/6/10 etc, not-so-recoverable if the NAS itself breaks and you don't have a support contract.)

But:
    1) Raid 1 won't do anything for performance, so might be better saving the few quid. How much space is needed, would a 1TB SSD be too small, or a faster HDD in your existing Synology?
    (chosen from the compatibility list
    https://www.synology.com/en-global/compatibility?search_by=products&model=DS115&category=hdds_no_ssd_trim&p=1
    )
    2) that the NAS alone shouldn't be considered by yourself to be to be your sole backup device.

It's a file server, and it, in turn should be backed up; to avoid data loss from encrypting ransomware or hardware failure or accident/environment.

Synology (or Qnap etc) will allow sync to a separate USB connected drive that can be kept offline, or to cloud storage at quiet times. And this would form your last resort recovery. You have probably seen these menu options on your existing device.

Advertisement