Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Dolores Cahill been debunked?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Arghus wrote: »
    So is your argument is that because she's a Professor in UCD that she has to be right in what she says?

Are you Kathy Newman in disguise?

What I’m asking is how could she have gotten something like this so wrong, if she is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭circadian

Are you Kathy Newman in disguise?

What I’m asking is how could she have gotten something like this so wrong, if she is wrong.

She is wrong. I've explained several times now why she is pushing these theories. It has nothing to do with science and everything to do with her political career. It's not exactly hard to see.

circadian wrote: »
    She is wrong. I've explained several times now why she is pushing these theories. It has nothing to do with science and everything to do with her political career. It's not exactly hard to see.

What political career, it’s almost non existent. Why would someone risk their credibility as a professor if she can be debunked so easily.
    People keep talking about all these scientists who disagree with her but I haven’t heard one publicly contradict her.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    She claimed the virus was “cleared” from the US at the end of April. Does anyone need to “debunk” that?

Was that on the YouTube video?

Every single local expert in the field has argued from positions totally at odds with hers.They don't have to make reference to her specifically, it's completely self evident that they wouldn't agree with any of her claims.

You are being deeply disingenuous to claim ignorance of this.

But who are they? Maybe I haven’t been looking in the right places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Was that on the YouTube video?
    And there lies the problem. Where is her scientific paper(s) listing her claims so that others can peer review them? Do you expect other scientists to thrawl through her interviews etc to gather up her claims and try to work out exactly what her claims are so that they can specifically test them? Why hasn't she published them in a journal, it's not like she doesn't know how to.

axer wrote: »
    And there lies the problem. Where is her scientific paper(s) listing her claims so that others can peer review them? Do you expect other scientists to thrawl through her interviews etc to gather up her claims and try to work out exactly what her claims are so that they can specifically test them? Why hasn't she published them in a journal, it's not like she doesn't know how to.

But you said that she claimed the US was clear of corona in April. I asked if that was in a YouTube video and you responded about peer reviewed papers???

Does everything everyone says now need to be peer reviewed? What exactly is it that she has said which is so at odds with the scientific community?

But you said that she claimed the US was clear of corona in April. I asked if that was in a YouTube video and you responded about peer reviewed papers???
    I didn't, but I think you meant the person you originally responded to but it shows the problem that scientists don't really know what her claims are.
    Does everything everyone says now need to be peer reviewed? What exactly is it that she has said which is so at odds with the scientific community?
    No but she could at least provide the evidence for her claims so that people can evaluate them. I don't know exactly what she had said which is exactly the problem. Maybe you can list the claims she has made and provide the reasons why she thinks they are true? But really she should be doing that so that other scientists who are qualified can evaluate them and then maybe they can debunk them specifically or do you expect them to look at all her interviews, try and figure out what her claim is exactly and then debunk even without the exact details of the claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,711 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I didn't, but I think you meant the person you originally responded to but it shows the problem that scientists don't really know what her claims are.

No but she could at least provide the evidence for her claims so that people can evaluate them. I don't know exactly what she had said which is exactly the problem. Maybe you can list the claims she has made and provide the reasons why she thinks they are true? But really she should be doing that so that other scientists who are qualified can evaluate them and then maybe they can debunk them specifically or do you expect them to look at all her interviews, try and figure out what her claim is exactly and then debunk even without the exact details of the claim?

Careful there, asking Tickers to provide the scientific basis for Dolores claims is apparently asking them to prove a negative ;)

Weird that, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I have just looked at a video from this crowd of doctors in the States, its kinda hard to ignore what they are saying which is basically the same argument that Dolores is using which suggests to me that governments are actually suppressing the real truth, look at it and see for yourself, just found it interesting. https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/americas-frontline-doctors-scotus-press-conference-transcript

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I have just looked at a video from this crowd of doctors in the States, its kinda hard to ignore what they are saying which is basically the same argument that Dolores is using which suggests to me that governments are actually suppressing the real truth, look at it and see for yourself, just found it interesting. https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/americas-frontline-doctors-scotus-press-conference-transcript

Its incredibly easy to ignore anything that starts with

"Warning: This press conference has been flagged & taken down by multiple social media platforms for containing “misleading” or “false” information. Rev does not condone the use of any COVID-19 treatments outlined in this press conference."

Excellent, a cure. Do you have a link to their published paper where they go into the detail showing methodologies and results of their studies?

Excellent, a cure. Do you have a link to their published paper where they go into the detail showing methodologies and results of their studies?

Nope, just give the video a listen, the virus is only 6 months old so far so there probably is no published papers as such as yet on it, but I still find what they are saying pretty interesting. Take what you will from it, it just seems everyone wants to take DC down. Give it another six months maybe before making conclusions. I'm not a doctor myself but do you think these American doctors went to Washington to lie about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Nope, just give the video a listen, the virus is only 6 months old so far so there probably is no published papers as such as yet on it, but I still find what they are saying pretty interesting. Take what you will from it, it just seems everyone wants to take DC down. Give it another six months maybe before making conclusions. I'm not a doctor myself but do you think these American doctors went to Washington to lie about this.

OK, i read some. Its hilarious.

Type hiccups and COVID, you will see it. They treated a patient that had hiccups with hydroxychloroquine and it proved that hiccups is a symptom of COVID. So if the NIH knows that treating the patient would hydroxychloroquine proves that hiccup is a symptom of COVID, then they definitely know the hydroxychloroquine works.

What is wrong with you that you get taken in by such tripe?

Have you read the article you linked?
    But her views - connected to a group called America’s Frontline Doctors - quickly came under fire.

The group only recently created its website which says it wants to “empower Americans to stop living in fear”.

“If Americans continue to let so-called experts and media personalities make their decisions, the great American experiment of a Constitutional Republic with Representative Democracy, will cease,” it says.

Emergency medicine doctor Anand Swaminathan said the hydroxychloroquine propaganda from America’s Frontline Doctors was complete nonsense.

“This is the message of hucksters, not doctors,” he wrote on Twitter.

“Multiple well-done studies show no benefit for HCQ. If your results are so good, publish. Otherwise, you’re full of it.”

Well I don't know really, just putting it out there anyway as its connected to this argument with Dolores, perhaps we'll see a doctor war in the future hahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Obviously a face mask is going to reduce oxygen intake. The question is how much. I don't think its any real risk for a healthy person but I certainly wouldn't run in them or wear until they are saturated in sweat and can't work.

A hermetically sealed face mask would reduce oxygen intake. I haven’t seen any of those about town. Or are you thinking of a full face diving mask worn while sticking a finger in the regulator hose?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

But who are they? Maybe I haven’t been looking in the right places.

You haven't been following the news for the last 3-4 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Stella Immanuel:
    a pediatrician and a religious minister, has a history of making bizarre claims about medical topics and other issues. She has often claimed that gynecological problems like cysts and endometriosis are in fact caused by people having sex in their dreams with demons and witches.

She alleges alien DNA is currently used in medical treatments, and that scientists are cooking up a vaccine to prevent people from being religious. And, despite appearing in Washington, D.C. to lobby Congress on Monday, she has said that the government is run in part not by humans but by “reptilians” and other aliens.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/stella-immanuel-trumps-new-covid-doctor-believes-in-alien-dna-demon-sperm-and-hydroxychloroquine

• Advertisement

You haven't been following the news for the last 3-4 months?

Can you just tell me?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Stella Immanuel seems entirely sane doesn't she ....I can see why Trump is a fan...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

What political career, it’s almost non existent. Why would someone risk their credibility as a professor if she can be debunked so easily.
    People keep talking about all these scientists who disagree with her but I haven’t heard one publicly contradict her.

Why give her the attention, she's a loon and I suspect you might not be far behind her.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mc25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

If there is nothing to debunk then why is she being torn down?

What I'm trying to understand is that we have a UCD professor who has made some claims that appear to go against the received message and mus now be cancelled. Either her statements are true or they are false, accurate or inaccurate and if she is such a crazy person as people are making her out to be, how has this crazy person gone undetected in the scientific community for so long in a senior position in one of Ireland's leading universities???.
    We're not talking about a nutritionist here, this is a legitimate scientist, a professor in UCD school of medicine with 20 years of research and a catalog of scientific papers behind her who is now all of a sudden considered a crazy person that knows less than keyboard immunologists on boards.ie?

So the question again is, where is this debunking and if so, how is it that someone with her experience and credentials has got this so wrong?

You are falling for the framing effect.

That idiot epidemiologist in Sweden is a professor too. Book smart but supremely unwise people can become professors easily and no one is right all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭circadian

Do facemasks filter out oxygen or change the Chemical make up of air?

How can you get a lungful of air, while wearing a face mask, and reduce your oxygen intake. Explain that to me. Is the facemask diluting the oxygen?

****ing idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Obviously a face mask is going to reduce oxygen intake. The question is how much. I don't think its any real risk for a healthy person but I certainly wouldn't run in them or wear until they are saturated in sweat and can't work.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters#oxygen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Why would someone risk their credibility as a professor if she can be debunked so easily.

But here we are

I am assuming that people who work with her think she has had some sort of breakdown that is why there is no public outcry/public ridicule from academics. No one wants to appear mean.

Knowing lecturers some of them probably think it is hilarious and hope to pick up one of those nice jobs she has thrown away
    You do not seem to be able to accept that her career as an academic is over because of what she said. But it is.

The college will have to continue paying her of course. She will be lecturing first years in some massive lecture hall in UCD getting a earful from some obnoxious self-righteous first year soon enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭granturismo

Water John wrote: »
    'Ms Cahill is a member of the faculty at UCD school of medicine, where she is the module co-ordinator on a number of subjects, including one taught to first-year medicine students called Science Medicine and Society.'

Does this job description say that she simply a co-ordinator, a secretarial role, and doesn't lecture any students?

She's listed as a 'Professor' so she is is on a salary of €120K+. Her research profile web page has been removed. Try clicking on the link for her here:

https://www.ucd.ie/conway/research/researchers/conwayfellowsa-z/

there is a brief summary here:

https://www.ucd.ie/topmed10/fellowships/meetourpis/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement