Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2020/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Green&Red wrote: »
    Whats the story with Shaw? Is he fit for the start of the season? Will he start if he is fit?

Shaw is first choice, he's significantly better than Williams even if neither of them are probably good enough in reality

• Registered Users Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Listened to WGTA podcast there, five rules, lots of rehashing of old stuff.
    The talk around team value was good though. How it’s vital to avoid price falls.
    One excellent point I hadn’t considered was on Soucek, highly owned, bad fixtures, if he does nothing for 2/3 weeks his value is going to fall. Or if he is going ok but West Ham are bad he could still fall.

Also got me thinking about Bruno, etc after GW1, it’s nearly worthwhile to go on the Saturday of GW1 to one or maybe two United/city players. A -4 could result in a 0.5 gain, so a 0.2 increase in TV. One I’ll have to give more thought to

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Markx

Also got me thinking about Bruno, etc after GW1, it’s nearly worthwhile to go on the Saturday of GW1 to one or maybe two United/city players. A -4 could result in a 0.5 gain, so a 0.2 increase in TV. One I’ll have to give more thought to

Would be interesting if they locked prices for the 4 teams until they've played. Wouldn't surprise me excessively.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Dearg81

FML FPL made a good point about Doherty. It wasn't that he was a supreme finisher that made him such a good option, it was the positioning he got into for Wolves. Nuno can replicate that player very easily, whereas if Doherty isn't given the same freedom it could have a real impact on his points. That he's not a TAA type who creates it cause he's class, a lot of it was just down to being a centre forward listed as a defender

Made a lot of sense to me, might take me away from Doherty towards Davies until I see how he goes

Davies was playing more defensive than Aurier until the end of the season but Davies seemed to attack more after the covid break. It's definitely a wait and see for me. If I was to guess I don't think Doherty will get as many goals as he probably won't get in the box as much as he did at Wolves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Listened to WGTA podcast there, five rules, lots of rehashing of old stuff.
    The talk around team value was good though. How it’s vital to avoid price falls.
    One excellent point I hadn’t considered was on Soucek, highly owned, bad fixtures, if he does nothing for 2/3 weeks his value is going to fall. Or if he is going ok but West Ham are bad he could still fall.

It's definitely worth keeping an eye on how many teams they are in on day one. Very surprised at the moment to see kdb with 36% ownership bruno is at 25% sterling(4.7) and rashford(6.3) look the 2 most likely that could bolt up in % but not before they play I wouldn't think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Who will replace Doherty in the Wolves team?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Who will replace Doherty in the Wolves team?

Mentioned a few pages back, they are looking for maitland niles from Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭shano_88

Rumours that Bellerin is a target for PSG. If so, AMN stays and becomes first choice right back for Arsenal I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Holding Mee Long White Koch

Great defence :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

shano_88 wrote: »
    Rumours that Bellerin is a target for PSG. If so, AMN stays and becomes first choice right back for Arsenal I'd imagine.

In Cedric I'd trust :P

• Advertisement

Someone was kind enough to link this when I was looking for one last season.

Only right for me to return the favour.

The single most important tool in FPL -

https://public.tableau.com/profile/timbayer#!/vizhome/PremierLeagueFixtures2021/PLFixtures

Edit - although I would love to find one that was listed alphabetically on the left hand side

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

DGW watch: Shane Duffy has joined Celtic on a season long loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Someone was kind enough to link this when I was looking for one last season.

Only right for me to return the favour.

The single most important tool in FPL -

https://public.tableau.com/profile/timbayer#!/vizhome/PremierLeagueFixtures2021/PLFixtures

Edit - although I would love to find one that was listed alphabetically on the left hand side

Looks like this could be the end of Excel sheets....Ben Crelin will be sweating.

I downloaded this in Tableau with the intention of creating another view which would allow the user to enter their squad (like the Excel planner I did in previous years) but the data source sheet is locked unfortunately.

Have been looking around this morning for the fixtures in any usable format (.xls , .txt , .csv) but can't find anything suitable....if anyone has one handy let me know and I can throw something together in either Excel or Tableau

• Registered Users Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Holding Mee Long White Koch

Great defence :)

Just don't have Pope in as keeper at the start of that line up! :eek:

Good article. Common sense but it’s something I think I lose sight off sometimes, just pick the team that’s playing really poorly or are wide open and go for someone playing them

It’s why I’m considering Werner C in GW1

https://jumpersforgoalposts.info/2020/09/02/captain-picks/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Good article. Common sense but it’s something I think I lose sight off sometimes, just pick the team that’s playing really poorly or are wide open and go for someone playing them

https://jumpersforgoalposts.info/2020/09/02/captain-picks/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Harsh on Brighton. I’m expecting a top half finish from them this season. Maybe top 12.

It’s something I’ve always tried to do (haven’t read that article but going off what you said).

Think Newcastle will be poor early on. Think they’ll really struggle this season. Bottom 3 material. Possibly bottom of the lot.

Harsh on Brighton. I’m expecting a top half finish from them this season. Maybe top 12.

It’s something I’ve always tried to do (haven’t read that article but going off what you said).

Think Newcastle will be poor early on. Think they’ll really struggle this season. Bottom 3 material. Possibly bottom of the lot.

Well Brighton are open, there’s no denying that, they press and can be caught.
    I’d also worry for them, I think they could go down but I thought that last year too.

Everyone always thinks Newcastle will go down, last year when Bruce came in they were doomed. They always do enough and IMO they have some really good players, Dubravka and Almiron are a step above anything around them

Villa on the other hand ....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Brighton are a decent team. Especially at home. Not easy to break down. Chelsea? Good team with very good players. However, new players usually take a while to adapt. They lost Willian too - a big player for them last season and a very different playing style to someone like Ziyech. Pulisic is (currently) out injured. They've been disrupted with forced player isolations with Covid. So I certainly wouldn't be captaining Werner gw1. But good luck to anyone who does.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Had some time on my hands there so eventually tracked down a usable fixture list.

Have done minimal testing on it but it seems to be working as expected as long as a valid team abbreviation is entered in Column D.

I've populated formulas up to GW 20 - if the league makes it that far I'll update again at some point.

Anyway, good luck with it.....might be handy for GW1 at least and the seemingly inevitable early wildcard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Works perfectly in google sheets anyway.
    Legend, thanks for uploading!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Brighton wouldn't have registered with me as a team that were going to leak goals.

It's a good topic though. Who do we see conceding a lot of goals in the first few weeks.

Leicester and Palace have injuries. Villa should be poor but I thought they'd tightened up after the break.

Brighton had as many clean sheets as Southampton last season as most people seem to be going with a Southampton keeper/def. I think the issue with Brighton was that they did not park the bus in bigger games and so shipped a good few goals against them. After the restart, they played Liverpool and City in the space of four days, conceding 8 goals. This of course could suggest having a Chelsea attacker for GW1 is a good idea but that having Brighton defense longer term is not necessarily a bad idea. Brighton are probably the best stocked in defense out of the bottom half clubs if injuries are picked up during this busy season.

I'd expect Villa to concede a lot again this season, second worst defense last season. Palace have a lot of injuries but they are a stubborn team in general who rely on their system so change in personnel may not make a huge difference. I'd wonder about Burnley, small squad already but lost a few players and nobody in yet, I reckon they could struggle. Newcastle could be poor this year as Bruces siege mentality wears off. Sheff Utd probably wont have anything like the same number of CSs either with Ramsdale instead of Henderson.

The promoted sides are always an unknown quantity as to how they will handle it. Leeds have strengthened in theory but sometimes wholesale changes aren't the best idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,239 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Brighton had as many clean sheets as Southampton last season as most people seem to be going with a Southampton keeper/def. I think the issue with Brighton was that they did not park the bus in bigger games and so shipped a good few goals against them. After the restart, they played Liverpool and City in the space of four days, conceding 8 goals. This of course could suggest having a Chelsea attacker for GW1 is a good idea but that having Brighton defense longer term is not necessarily a bad idea. Brighton are probably the best stocked in defense out of the bottom half clubs if injuries are picked up during this busy season.

I'd expect Villa to concede a lot again this season, second worst defense last season. Palace have a lot of injuries but they are a stubborn team in general who rely on their system so change in personnel may not make a huge difference. I'd wonder about Burnley, small squad already but lost a few players and nobody in yet, I reckon they could struggle. Newcastle could be poor this year as Bruces siege mentality wears off. Sheff Utd probably wont have anything like the same number of CSs either with Ramsdale instead of Henderson.

The promoted sides are always an unknown quantity as to how they will handle it. Leeds have strengthened in theory but sometimes wholesale changes aren't the best idea.
    What makes you think Villa are going to change back to super open? Surely Smith knows it was much more effective when he made the changes to tighten up?

Like it was a tactical change, rather than a variance against the mean.

CSF wrote: »
    What makes you think Villa are going to change back to super open? Surely Smith knows it was much more effective when he made the changes to tighten up?

Like it was a tactical change, rather than a variance against the mean.

I don't expect them to be super open, I just don't expect them to be much use in terms of FPL defensive assets. Heaton being out and having to play their reserve keeper wont help.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I don't expect them to be super open, I just don't expect them to be much use in terms of FPL defensive assets. Heaton being out and having to play their reserve keeper wont help.
    Heaton was out when we were 4th in defensive xG after the restart though aswell. Obviously defensive xG doesn't take into account the quality of goalkeeper but Villa were solid defensively with both Nyland and Reina last season after the restart.

I think it would be optimistic to say the least to expect Villa be among the best defences like they were in that small sample size after restart, but the drastic shift was identifiable so there is a good chance that good stuff should still be there albeit in measures closer to the mean than it was last year during that spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

The idea isn’t to find defenders from bottom half sides to put into your team but to identify those that will ship lots of goals so you can double up against them

GetWithIt wrote: »
    The idea isn’t to find defenders from bottom half sides to put into your team but to identify those that will ship lots of goals so you can double up against them

I think predicting whipping boys in advance can be tricky, maybe less so now given the shorter break. After a couple of games, clear trends will emerge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Anyone considering wildcard for gw2? Pick the strongest team possible for gw1 and then load up on city and utd lads with the wildcard. Want a good start for once instead of playing catch up

• Advertisement

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Anyone considering wildcard for gw2? Pick the strongest team possible for gw1 and then load up on city and utd lads with the wildcard. Want a good start for once instead of playing catch up

It doesn’t strike me as a good move. Who are the great players we would be going for in GW1 that we would want rid of immediately?

Advertisement