Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2020/21

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,508 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    He came on for England today ? Did he get injured ?

Only played 17 minutes, has he played any pre-season minutes for Liverpool?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Dearg81

CSF wrote: »
    Only played 17 minutes, has he played any pre-season minutes for Liverpool?

No, he's only back from injury. I'd say he will play as Williams is not good enough and TAA is too important now to leave out. He might get subbed off early though.

Dearg81 wrote: »
    No, he's only back from injury. I'd say he will play as Williams is not good enough and TAA is too important now to leave out. He might get subbed off early though.

Williams is really dodgy yeah. Will you go with Trent?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Williams is really dodgy yeah. Will you go with Trent?

Yea he's in my team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

For all the talk of Foden, if you are going for a 6.5m mi from a top side Minimino might not be a bad shout if he gets going.

Few goals in pre season and the games are going to come thick and fast so loads of rotation

• Advertisement

For all the talk of Foden, if you are going for a 6.5m mi from a top side Minimino might not be a bad shout if he gets going.

Few goals in pre season and the games are going to come thick and fast so loads of rotation

Foden will get more minutes than Minamino though surely right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭Shedite27

This twitter thread is worth 5 minutes of your time

https://twitter.com/identityjohndoe/status/1302216887305150464?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

With Walker suspended TAA will get 90mins on Tuesday, good or bad? I'll be picking him anyway

Foden will get more minutes than Minamino though surely right?

Maybe, Minamino is the clear 4th of the 3 at Liverpool (and they played all 4 today).
    Foden has more to compete with for a place.

Don't think I'll go for it but a definite one to keep an eye on.

The schedules the top teams have is ridiculous

Maybe, Minamino is the cheat 4th of the 3 at Liverpool (and they played all 4 today).
    Foden has more to compete with for a place.

Don't think I'll go for it but a definite one to keep an eye on.

The schedules the top teams have is ridiculous

I just don’t think Salah and Mane will be rested nearly at all so how much would he get in ahead of firmino?

• Advertisement

People going with a set and forget 4.5 goalkeeper, if the conversation is between McCarthy and Ryan, what is pushing you in the direction of each one?

Myself I'm trying to figure out which kind of team is going to be the more defensive in their approach. By which, I don't necessarily have the best defensive record. Obviously Pope and Henderson were doing so well because they were racking up the saves. Meaning 8-11 points often when they were keeping clean sheets, and often 3-4 points in the games they weren't.

Going for the good teams that are a little bit more open will obviously bring you in the 2 or 6. Even when the 6s are more often, that doesn't always add up to a better total at the end of the season.

Which 4.5 keeper do we think best fits that balance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,772 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I think Henderson is a better shout - probably guaranteed to play when fit and will get goals and assists, 4 goals and 5 assists last season, not great but will also chip in with the CS point a lot of the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Finding it hard to fit TAA, Salah, Minamino & Brewster into my team! Hurry up and loan Brewster somebody, he is such an enabler.

People going with a set and forget 4.5 goalkeeper, if the conversation is between McCarthy and Ryan, what is pushing you in the direction of each one?

Myself I'm trying to figure out which kind of team is going to be the more defensive in their approach. By which, I don't necessarily have the best defensive record. Obviously Pope and Henderson were doing so well because they were racking up the saves. Meaning 8-11 points often when they were keeping clean sheets, and often 3-4 points in the games they weren't.

Going for the good teams that are a little bit more open will obviously bring you in the 2 or 6. Even when the 6s are more often, that doesn't always add up to a better total at the end of the season.

Which 4.5 keeper do we think best fits that balance?
    I was on McCarthy on the basis that I think Southampton will be a top half team and Brighton will not.

The only argument I see for Ryan is that a lot of people will want KWP, so avoids a double up.

FWIW I've currently upgraded to Guaita

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I might go Johnstone with button sub . Saves me .5
    I have 2 midfielders 4.5 both unlikely to start so need that extra .5!

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I was on McCarthy on the basis that I think Southampton will be a top half team and Brighton will not.

The only argument I see for Ryan is that a lot of people will want KWP, so avoids a double up.

FWIW I've currently upgraded to Guaita

Is top half team definitely the criteria you look for in a keeper though? For me, I’m thinking kind of team that will rack up saves, and win the games they win by the odd goal.

Is top half team definitely the criteria you look for in a keeper though? For me, I’m thinking kind of team that will rack up saves, and win the games they win by the odd goal.
    .... resulting in a team being top half.

We’re not talking about Kepa or Ederson here, we’re talking about Ryan V McCarthy. IMO, one will rack up save points, keep a few clean sheets and win games by the odd goal to get top top half, the other will lose a lot of games, so less clean sheets and bonus points, which would you choose?

Shedite27 wrote: »
    .... resulting in a team being top half.

We’re not talking about Kepa or Ederson here, we’re talking about Ryan V McCarthy. IMO, one will rack up save points, keep a few clean sheets and win games by the odd goal to get top top half, the other will lose a lot of games, so less clean sheets and bonus points, which would you choose?
    Essentially, my feeling with Southampton is they’re attacking enough that they might be a 2-1/3-1 team, and rack up top half points that way.

Their xG attacking stats post-restart were really good, and that worries me for a goalkeeper. If they’re dominating games, they are not prime candidates for a goalkeeper option IMO unless they’re keeping a disproportionate amount of cleans.

With Havertz added, i am increasingly looking at a single premium midfielder. Serious potential from 7.5m to 9.5m with Rashers, Greenwood, Havertz, Puli, Ziyech, Ali and Son all potential 180 pointers.

Much prefer two of them than a Salah and Soucek. Lovely price point to switch players around as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

How come Vanderbeek hasnt been added to the game yet, Havertez was signed much later and hes already in there

A few questions

Is Mitchell the only 4.0m defender that may start

Which is the better Option Mitrovic, Adams or Antonio? I I actually have Antonio at present but Westhams fixtures after week 1 are difficult

• Advertisement

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    How come Vanderbeek hasnt been added to the game yet, Havertez was signed much later and hes already in there

A few questions

Is Mitchell the only 4.0m defender that may start

Which is the better Option Mitrovic, Adams or Antonio? I I actually have Antonio at present but Westhams fixtures after week 1 are difficult

He's on there at 7m. Has been for a few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,772 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

With Havertz added, i am increasingly looking at a single premium midfielder. Serious potential from 7.5m to 9.5m with Rashers, Greenwood, Havertz, Puli, Ziyech, Ali and Son all potential 180 pointers.

Much prefer two of them than a Salah and Soucek. Lovely price point to switch players around as well

Ali:eek: that lad hasn't shown much form in two years ha

Kinda agree that it could be the way most teams go down in a few weeks time - when all players are fit and we know how they fit it - the only i would say is though - you would be more likely to captain Salah, than say Greenwood, Ali, or the Chelsea lads off the bat.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Ali:eek: that lad hasn't shown much form in two years ha

Kinda agree that it could be the way most teams go down in a few weeks time - when all players are fit and we know how they fit it - the only i would say is though - you would be more likely to captain Salah, than say Greenwood, Ali, or the Chelsea lads off the bat.

He has done it before though. Not one id start with (though they have a nice run) - it's Son for me.

Get you on the captaincy, but with Auba/KDB you have great captaincy options the first few weeks. And TAA can be a Salah cover captain.

Something I'll be playing with over the next week anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I think save points is a bit of a red herring. How many keepers end up with more than 4 save points in a season, enough to surpass a CS? A keeper with a weaker team has to make a lot of extra saves to equal the points of a keeper who keeps two more clean sheets, all other things being equal. Save points should be looked at like bonus points, nice to get but you can't rely on them (bar for a few of the top players who regularly rack up bonus points).

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I think save points is a bit of a red herring. How many keepers end up with more than 4 save points in a season, enough to surpass a CS? A keeper with a weaker team has to make a lot of extra saves to equal the points of a keeper who keeps two more clean sheets, all other things being equal. Save points should be looked at like bonus points, nice to get but you can't rely on them (bar for a few of the top players who regularly rack up bonus points).
    Why do you think Ramsdale took in 17 point less than De Gea last season from 8 less clean sheets and 90 minutes less played?

4 points more than Alisson and 7 points less than Ederson who admittedly both played less minutes but also took in more than enough clean sheets that they should still have slaughtered him based on the logic above.

Mat Ryan another example of premium scoring points from a 4.5 guy who only kept 9 clean sheets and without a clean sheet in sight.

If in a 3 game spell Ederson keeps 2 clean sheets and Ryan keeps 1, you're usually expecting Ederson to get around 14/15 points per game (given Ederson averages less than 2 saves per game). Those goalkeepers usually take 9/10 points on their clean sheet game alone.

All about finding that Pope/Henderson type and if they also start slaughtering the clean sheets you won't just match the keepers from the elite teams for value per price, you'll be matching them full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,062 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Any mention of matheus pereira from wba in here? 8 goals and 16 assists last season for wba.

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Any mention of matheus pereira from wba in here? 8 goals and 16 assists last season for wba.

He’s on the shortlist. Teetering around the outskirts of my first draft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Why do you think Ramsdale took in 17 point less than De Gea last season from 8 less clean sheets and 90 minutes less played?

4 points more than Alisson and 7 points less than Ederson who admittedly both played less minutes but also took in more than enough clean sheets that they should still have slaughtered him based on the logic above.

Mat Ryan another example of premium scoring points from a 4.5 guy who only kept 9 clean sheets and without a clean sheet in sight.

If in a 3 game spell Ederson keeps 2 clean sheets and Ryan keeps 1, you're usually expecting Ederson to get around 14/15 points per game (given Ederson averages less than 2 saves per game). Those goalkeepers usually take 9/10 points on their clean sheet game alone.

All about finding that Pope/Henderson type and if they also start slaughtering the clean sheets you won't just match the keepers from the elite teams for value per price, you'll be matching them full stop.

Ramsdale had a penalty save (and possibly an additional BP contribution because of it) and an assist while DDG had two YCs, Ederson 3 YCs and a RC and Alisson had a RC and Ramsdale had none. That explains most of the difference. Apart from Ederson and Alisson, both of whom had reduced gametine, last years keeper total points pretty much follows the order of the number of CSs, the main anomaly is Ramsdale ahead of Pickford but that is accounted for penalty save and assist and Pickfords YCs.

I agree it all about finding that Pope/Henderson type who are priced 4.5 but get 12+ CSs, a keeper with 8 or so CSs would have to gain a huge number of save points to make up the difference. Average saves per game doesn't tell you much, making 4 or 5 saves in a few games will still only yield a few save points but could push his average saves per game above 3 - average saves might suggest extra points most weeks but the reality could be very different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

With a week to go.... I’m all over the place.

Reading so much and trying to select a team that isn’t going to collapse or need a week1 wildcard.

Bielsa with Leeds seems to have the gengenpressen (klopp version) or bielsa press, which might make Leeds players attractive, can they do it at the top level, can they do it against premierleague opposition? Liverpool on the other hand seem to be defensively unsure, minimimo seems to be the standout player of pre-season for them, but he isn’t ensured of a starting place when the season restarts.

Auba - the FantasyFootball troll - has been in great form, but he is a fantasy football troll and may be waiting for the Fulham game to do what he does best .... ruin a perfectly good fantasy football weekend.

Kane, traditionally a slow starter to league form, is rarely mentioned at the moment, in a team which has had quite a few changes, not sure if they will be fully settled and they face an Everton team who could be a push over or a solid wall.

Chelsea, seem to be hit with quite a few changes and an expanding squad, difficult to know if they will all work cohesively as a unit or will be confused on the pitch, also seem to be a high level of self isolation required in the squad, unclear what the starting line up could be.

United/city/villa/Burnley, none feature in first game-week, which leaves a lot of players who could feature in teams, interestingly KDB has over 35% ownership despite not playing in first game.

West ham, Leicester, Everton, southampton, wolves etc.... of them all, I would say Southampton are most likely to produce a win.

West ham seem to have a lot of disruption between management and the board - a rising Star was sold to west brom and both manager and various players gave reactions online.

Leicester - you never know who will turn up, vardy is probably the only one of interest, but even at that ... he may have the waggatha christy trial coming up sometime.

Everton, playing a spurs team which may or may not turn up, Everton signed a midfielder and striker during the break so far ... they may give spurs a run for their money or might get railroaded.

Southampton playing a weakened palace team ... could produce an opportunity for ings to be the star of the week.

Wolves, lost Doherty to spurs and at the moment traore is on the sick list , which will have an impact on their ability to beat teams.

My team is officially blank again !!!

• Advertisement

Anyone looking at West Ham defenders, have a look at the goals they conceded against Bournemouth yesterday (3 videos linked to this tweet), then take all the West Ham players out of your team, and go to your bookies on choice and put some money on Moyes being first manger sacked and West Ham to be relegated. As ye know I'm a West Ham fan, place is a mess at the moment, Noble (captain) called the owners out on Twitter for selling Diangana to WB.

https://twitter.com/WestHam_Central/status/1302539790471114753?s=20

Advertisement