Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2020/21

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    There will certainly be good value to be had in some of the mid-priced mids but knowing which ones is the problem. I am happy to start with a few premiums and it is easy to switch to a cheaper player if some they look like delivering better scores. There is the risk if funds are spread fairly equally that you are are 0.5/1 short of the player you want and need two transfers to get him.

Just on Jimi, I feel him and Wolves might disappoint this season. They have gotten weaker while those around them have strengthened. No Doherty or Jonny to supply Jimi and everyone will be prepared for Traore.

That’s a good point on Jimi/Wolves. I’m gonna start without any and maybe get one in from gw 3 when a nice run of fixtures start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Porthallian

joeyboy11 wrote: »
    What is the pulisic news? I see he’s still flagged at 50% on the website

Saw a post in the injuries thread saying he was 100% fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Pulisic rejoined full training is what i understand. Doesn't mean he starts vs Brighton, but he's certainly in with a chance

Green&Red wrote: »
    @Klopp or any other Liverpool people

How likely is Minamino to start?

I thought you were a Red ?

I don’t think he’s likely to start much this season baring injuries. I don’t think he’ll start GW 1.

Some fans talking about a change in formation but I don’t see it. Some people like to make things complicated (that aren’t really).

If Thiago arrives that may change but I think it’s as you were.

manual_man wrote: »
    Anyone seen a team with vvd-taa-robbo in it?

All my early screenshots have those 3 in.

I don’t hate the teams either.

Not sure why I moved away.

It would certainly make playing the game much easier if I reinstated all 3.

• Advertisement

What are the best arguments against going triple defence from the same team ?

All my early screenshots have those 3 in.

I don’t hate the teams either.

Not sure why I moved away.

It would certainly make playing the game much easier if I reinstated all 3.
    It's a choice. And an easier one to argue in a season with such a plethora of talented attacking options in the 7.5 to 9.5 range. To be able to have triple 'Pool defense, and still have a strong-looking rest of your team is certainly not without merit. Risky? Perhaps a little. But with more risk comes more fun and more potential upside. Hehe. Come join me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,509 ✭✭✭✭CSF

What are the best arguments against going triple defence from the same team ?
    I don't think there are good ones if you have good reason to think the defence will be good with some attacking points to go with it.

It is high risk/high reward strategy, but if you've lots of confidence in the defence being really good then you're more likely to get the high reward really.

I certainly wouldn't be trying it on Southampton, but TAA/Robbo/VVD makes sense and given the prices I could see some merit to a Dier/Davies/Doherty although the risk of failure is of course higher than the Liverpool one, and the reward ceiling is much lower, but the prices are obviously lower too.

This is far and away the most I’ve struggled with my GW 1 team.

Can’t settle on formation.

Can’t settle on strategy.

Can’t decide between rotation defence or premium.

I think Bissouma is the best 4.5m midfielder but yesterday I couldn’t fit him into my team, as bench fodder, because I already had 3 Brighton players.

Now I have no Brighton player and a 5th playing midfielder so need a bench fodder striker.

So that alone - had 3 of their players yesterday and none today. That’s crazy unsettled.

I don’t know how I’m going to go about making these decisions now. I may pick one at random and then just play the hand that deals me over the first few GW’s.

I think Bissouma is the best 4.5m midfielder but yesterday I couldn’t fit him into my team, as bench fodder, because I already had 3 Brighton players.

Now I have no Brighton player and a 5th playing midfielder so need a bench fodder striker.

So that alone - had 3 of their players yesterday and none today. That’s crazy unsettled.

I don’t know how I’m going to go about making these decisions now. I may pick one at random and then just play the hand that deals me over the first few GW’s.

If you don’t already have 3 Liverpool strikers I think premium strategy is to have Brewster as a currently non-playing 3rd striker and set up to be able to rotate between 4-4-2 and 3-5-2.

Then if Brewster later gets a starting gig, it will free up a lot of options. Only thing is it means you can’t bring a 3rd Liverpool player until he gets that move, but given the not amazing fixtures, it would seem reasonable to be ok with that.

• Advertisement

Yeah I have had Brewster but was hoping he’d get a move before now.

He will be the perfect first sub if he moves.

I think I will start with the players in my notes from my post season thoughts as at least then I can only blame myself.

Hopefully Soucek is available for GW 1 because if he isn’t then I wouldn’t want him for a good few weeks.

Yeah I have had Brewster but was hoping he’d get a move before now.

He will be the perfect first sub if he moves.

I think I will start with the players in my notes from my post season thoughts as at least then I can only blame myself.

Hopefully Soucek is available for GW 1 because if he isn’t then I wouldn’t want him for a good few weeks.

I feel like I’m the only one who wasn’t going with Soucek even if he hadn’t become Covidczech (I can’t claim patent to this funny play on words unfortunately). I see his merits with all that set piece threat meaning high shots in the box etc, but those fixtures are just so so bad.

I’ll hope to get him later at 4.8/4.9 when the more fickle of his original owners start to ship him out when he’s inexplicably only getting them 2 points against Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

My argument against the triple defense is the mental stress of it.

It would feel like your whole gameweek is reliant on 3 players. If you can handle it long term should be fine.

And what about a bad run of fixtures? Over the season it would probably work out but if Liverpool start of conceding would you really hold the triple for the season?

It would feel like your whole gameweek is reliant on 3 players. If you can handle it long term should be fine.

And what about a bad run of fixtures? Over the season it would probably work out but if Liverpool start of conceding would you really hold the triple for the season?

Well, if you’re doing it, you would need to be accepting that they won’t have a nice fixture every week and will eventually play away to good teams also.

Strategies like that are only really effective if you believe in them enough to see them through. You don’t want to making a rake of defensive transfers so if this strategy is one that will lead to you making more transfers, then it probably won’t improve your chances.

Just incase I’m giving across incorrect levels of belief in this strategy, none of my drafts have actually had 3 from the same team in them. So it’s clear that I do not love a defence to that level yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Why is Bissouma best 4.5mid in your opinion?

FHFC wrote: »
    Why is Bissouma best 4.5mid in your opinion?

I like Brighton and think they’ll have a good season.

I rate what the manager is trying to do although I hate how much he rotates his attacking players.

I think they’ll be much tighter this year and I just liked the look of Bissouma.

Been there a couple of years. Just turned 24. They paid about £15 million for him as a 21 year old and I’ve heard Potter saying good things about him. Think it’s a big year for him.

Think he’ll carry more of a point scoring threat than the other 4.5m‘s whilst also getting his minutes. It looks like he’s not afraid to have a pop either which I like. He’s more dynamic than their other two options, imo, and I think Stephens’s days are numbered. Also, as a possession side I just think he’ll have more chances to get forward.

It’s not like he has much competition in that 4.5m bracket.

Yeah I’d have no problem going triple and would have no problem being patient. Just don’t think I’ll do it now. Although I’d enjoy the mental stress part of it.

You must be excited about Everton this season ?

Looks very good to me. Great manager that has clearly identified and at least attempted to resolve the teams issues with good signings in the right places.

Would love to have Digne but savage pissed off he’s 6.0m. I think that’s too much considering the other options. Kind of guy you’d want to own from the start and just leave in but I can’t at that price.

A top 7 finish wouldn’t surprise me. They’ll need to click quickly and avoid injuries though.

Not sure if they’ll have a clear FPL option, apart from Digne, but I expect good overall team performances.

Edit - what I also really like about Everton and Wolves this season is no European football. Think that will be a great benefit to both teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Same, I'm second guessing everything now. Listening to alot of podcasts etc, I don't know if that's helping me or hindering me though as I keep chopping and changing.

Same, I'm second guessing everything now. Listening to alot of podcasts etc, I don't know if that's helping me or hindering me though as I keep chopping and changing.

Football parlance - it’s 1000% hindering you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

You must be excited about Everton this season ?

Looks very good to me. Great manager that has clearly identified and at least attempted to resolve the teams issues with good signings in the right places.

Would love to have Digne but savage pissed off he’s 6.0m. I think that’s too much considering the other options. Kind of guy you’d want to own from the start and just leave in but I can’t at that price.

Also worth taking into account that Digne could well be losing out on a lot of set pieces with James as a left footed free kick taker.

• Advertisement

elefant wrote: »
    Also worth taking into account that Digne could well be losing out on a lot of set pieces with James as a left footed free kick taker.

Yeah. I wasn’t sure on that so that would lessen the appeal.

Rodriguez would want to have some real quality dead-ball ability to take it off him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Yeah. I wasn’t sure on that so that would lessen the appeal.

Rodriguez would want to have some real quality dead-ball ability to take it off him though.

I had a google, and saw this on the Real Madrid website: https://www.realmadrid.com/en/fans/videos/2016/04/james-rodriguezs-free-kick-goals

From 2016, but he was even taking those left-sided ones off Cristiano Ronaldo it seems.

‘Nuff said.

That makes it easier to accept now.

Puts Doherty back in the frame so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Anyone else finding that over the week you end up talking yourself more out of players than into players.

For example ASM had a lower Points Per Match then Shelvey last year.

Echo what Klopparama is saying, this is really tough to get a team together this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Not something I've seen mentioned with Salah, but do we think Lovren's departure could affect his form? It was well documented they were best friends

Statsbomb and a link to all there season previews

https://statsbomb.com/2020/09/the-statsbomb-premier-league-season-previews-2020-21/

Apparently they do the analytics for leeds

Fairly confident I will have an Everton attacking asset included. Would you go DCL/Harvey Barnes or Rodríguez/Wilson?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I’ve seen a lot of Armstrong and Saint-Maximin in times, surprised at no love for Klich?

A 5.5m on pens is an attractive asset imo

16 goals and 14 assists in the last two seasons

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

manual_man wrote: »
    Anyone seen a team with vvd-taa-robbo in it?

Had a look at this when I saw this post yesterday.

My front 3 + PEA are pretty much set in stone.

With that in mind I put Robbo and VVD into my team(already had TAA).
    The only way I can see it working is 4-3-3.

Can't seem to fit in 4th mid higher than 5.5 that I think will outscore my rotating 4.5 defenders.
    If I go with 1 x 4.0 def., then I could get JWP or Pereira(WBA) for 6.0 to go 3-4-3.

I won't be doing it from GW1, but it's possible I'll revisit this when I play my WC, as I'll be getting a 4.0 GK which would give me 6.5 to spend on 4th mid.

Advertisement