Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2020/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I know people are considering Spurs assets, namely Son, Ali & Doherty.

Just an FYI, they have 9 games in the opening 21 days of the season, a game every 2.3 days!
    13/09 - Everton (H)

17/09 – PFC Lokomotiv Plovdiv (A)

20/09 – Southampton (A)

22/09 – League Cup Third Round

24/09 – Europa League Qualifier, Romania or Macedonia (A)

26/09 – Newcastle United (H)

29/09 – League Cup Fourth Round

01/10 – Europa League Qualifier, TBC

03/10 – Manchester United (A)

Hard to know how Mou will handle this. It's fine for FPL if he just plays 2nd string in Europa & League cup, but...

• Registered Users Posts: 42,092 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I see it differently. I want Martial, feel like he has the potential to be a season keeper. So I either play one of my benched players in GW1, or plan a transfer before a ball is even kicked. And in planning that transfer, ensure that I can do it in one move so I'm not committing to two transfers, which means keeping money ITB or getting a player of the same value as a placeholder.

Given there are so many question marks about various players' playing time, so many new faces we haven't seen kick a ball in the PL, transfers are going to be all the more precious in the early weeks. I don't want to commit to any before a ball has been kicked.

Not trying to be blunt here but this notion that the likes of Anthony Martial are now suddenly season keepers is ridiculous.

He had a good restart end of last season and a more-than-satisfactory season overall but now to suddenly propel him into season keeper territory is nonsense imo.

That term is pie in the sky literally 95% of the time anyway. A player blanks three or four gameweeks in a row combined with DGW season and other various factors put paid to potential season keepers in my experience of playing FPL.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Not trying to be blunt here but this notion that the likes of Anthony Martial are now suddenly season keepers is ridiculous.

He had a good restart end of last season and a more-than-satisfactory season overall but now to suddenly propel him into season keeper territory is nonsense imo.

That term is pie in the sky literally 95% of the time anyway. A player blanks three or four gameweeks in a row combined with DGW season and other various factors put paid to potential season keepers in my experience of playing FPL.

The biggest reason he isnt a season keeper is that there is no way he stays fit enough over the course of a season - he will go missing for a month due to a slight injury.

That said, he is a solid solid option - an one I would love to have in my team

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Fair enough regarding the term 'season keeper' which, taken literally, is a rarity in an FPL team. I still believe come season's end his points total will be up there with the likes of Vardy and Kane, for 1m+ less, so I would hope he'll be in my team for decent stretches of the season. And given his post-lockdown form, and the positive reports of his France performances over the Nation's League break, I want him in from the beginning.

Then it just comes down to the merits of having him on the bench in GW1 or planning a transfer before a ball is kicked - I'm going for the former, for reasons explained in the rest of my post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,092 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Fair enough regarding the term 'season keeper' which, taken literally, is a rarity in an FPL team. I still believe come season's end his points total will be up there with the likes of Vardy and Kane, for 1m+ less, so I would hope he'll be in my team for decent stretches of the season. And given his post-lockdown form, and the positive reports of his France performances over the Nation's League break, I want him in from the beginning.

Then it just comes down to the merits of having him on the bench in GW1 or planning a transfer before a ball is kicked - I'm going for the former, for reasons explained in the rest of my post above.

Yeah don't get me wrong, Martial is a great option and someone I will definitely have in my team at some stage this season form and fitness depending.

I just don't see him being in serious players' teams from beginning to end as he doesn't have the pedigree quite yet. Check back in 2 or 3 years and we may be saying he's the real deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah going to do it now and finally on a team I'm happy with.

My only worry is I'll be very tempted by 5 at the back which never seems to provide the points.

TAA, Robbo, Davies, James, Taylor
    5 at the back always provides the best return on base points (look at the dream "within budget" team every year and it has 5 at the back). The problem has always been that the points are consistent rather than explosive so you're missing out on Captain Choices. My Liverpool back 3 theory would only leave PEA, KDB and Son as captain choices.

I see it differently. I want Martial, feel like he has the potential to be a season keeper. So I either play one of my benched players in GW1, or plan a transfer before a ball is even kicked. And in planning that transfer, ensure that I can do it in one move so I'm not committing to two transfers, which means keeping money ITB or getting a player of the same value as a placeholder.

Given there are so many question marks about various players' playing time, so many new faces we haven't seen kick a ball in the PL, transfers are going to be all the more precious in the early weeks. I don't want to commit to any before a ball has been kicked.
    Martial got 200 points last year, take away the extra point he got for Clean Sheets (14) and the extra points for goals as a midfielder (17) and he got 169.

That's 25 points behind Ings and Jiminez, 4 ahead of Richarlison

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Martial got 200 points last year, take away the extra point he got for Clean Sheets (14) and the extra points for goals as a midfielder (17) and he got 169.

your failing to allow for more bonus points being a forward for goals than a midfield player.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I share your Liverpool concerns.

But why exclude Europe for United? In their last 5 games they have scored 2 non penalty goals, and one of those was a keeping error. That combined with the lack of rest/pre season has me a bit worried (aa they looked knackered)

Because they had achieved their goal - qualify for champions league - by time it got to the Europe games - the mentality was gone. Yes fans/player want to win trophies - but had they came 5th in league i suspect they won't have played very differently.

Up front i think untied are going to be good and Martial is a good shout - not sure defensively how good they will be though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

IMO United will be the same as the have always been under Ole. Great in patches, outstanding and then absolute dung for patches. It’s getting them for the first and getting rid of them for the second that’s the key.
    I think they’ll be important to get GW2 for team value but I’ll be ditching them afterwards. I see Chelsea and Arsenal both finishing ahead of them this year.

No matter who they buy Ole is a terrible manager

• Advertisement

Ace2007 wrote: »
    your failing to allow for more bonus points being a forward for goals than a midfield player.

True, I would have thought it was the other way tho, do strikers get more bonus points for a goal than a mid?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

do strikers get more bonus points for a goal than a mid?

They do.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭madmax72

Does anybody know if bellerin is a starter for the arsenal defence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

madmax72 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if bellerin is a starter for the arsenal defence

I’d say Arteta does

I joke I joke. As with a lot of teams it’s the waiting game. Do they play a back 3 or 4? I’d Luiz available or not... similar issues and questions with Kieran Tierney

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Son and Richardson or Kane and Doucoure....? Dilemma at the min. I think I want/need Kane.

PhilipsR wrote: »
    Son and Richardson or Kane and Doucoure....? Dilemma at the min. I think I want/need Kane.

Son and Richy, both have the potential to be explosive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

Given serious consideration to treble pool defence but just can’t bring myself to do it.

It’s something that you would really need to be ready to set and forget for the season, and I’d find it too restrictive. I know I’d probably get trigger happy with transfers if they had 2 or 3 blanks in a row, or if Salah was on a streak, I’d want him in my team, so think I’ll stick to Taa and probably Vvd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Anyone know what Arsenal defence going to be?

They have 8 CB’s & 6 Full backs.

Was thinking of going with Cedric at 5mil cause they have 3 favourable fixtures they could really keep clean sheets in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

Chesty08 wrote: »

Was thinking of going with Cedric at 5mil cause they have 3 favourable fixtures they could really keep clean sheets in

Very hard to call, Tierney is probably the only one I’d consider, or Saliba if I thought he was guaranteed a start

Given serious consideration to treble pool defence but just can’t bring myself to do it.

It’s something that you would really need to be ready to set and forget for the season, and I’d find it too restrictive. I know I’d probably get trigger happy with transfers if they had 2 or 3 blanks in a row, or if Salah was on a streak, I’d want him in my team, so think I’ll stick to Taa and probably Vvd.

I have had Robbo and TAA the whole time but getting itchy feet now. Might be the fact i support them.

Greenwood and Lascelles could match Robbo and ASM for. 5 cheaper. And would mean I don't have to lose Salah for United cover.

Triple takes serious balls

• Advertisement

Chesty08 wrote: »

Minefield at the moment id say it'll change a bit over the first couple of game weeks.

Think Luiz is out? also which might see a back 4 instead of a back 5

It's a good idea, but you'll never captain them (or get the captaincy right). That's my issue with the triple.

Ings had 200 more minutes jimmi had 400 odd.

So not sure how the points/90 work out

now of course you can argue Martial is injury prone but so was Ings until recently, Jimmi does seem to give you super consistency though, in terms of getting an goal regularly but rarely of never hitting 3.

So he is never a captain potentially where as Martial can be I think

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Because they had achieved their goal - qualify for champions league - by time it got to the Europe games - the mentality was gone. Yes fans/player want to win trophies - but had they came 5th in league i suspect they won't have played very differently.

Up front i think untied are going to be good and Martial is a good shout - not sure defensively how good they will be though.

The players were wrecked because, ole didnt use any rotation during the run in, in attack, his squad management looks atrocious, now the up side is players you own should play a lot.

United were very lucky last year, like the penalties won were insane numbers.

all that being said I will probably own Martial for a while given the fixtures for first 8 or so gws

• Registered Users Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I keep trying to remove Minamino out of the team for the opening weekend, but I can't find a suitable one week replacement for him. I think he will play, but not sure for how long. Vulture points are an option for him, as the charity shield game proved. He'd be a massive differential, especially when everyone else has the TAA/Salah.

Saka, ASM, Peireira don't do it for me. Too much guessing the Newcastle team for Fraser/Almiron Maybe Perez will start due to Maddison's injury. Can't afford Barnes. Could actually chance Keita, as he will start IMO.

Ings had 200 more minutes jimmi had 400 odd.

So not sure how the points/90 work out

now of course you can argue Martial is injury prone but so was Ings until recently, Jimmi does seem to give you super consistency though, in terms of getting an goal regularly but rarely of never hitting 3.

So he is never a captain potentially where as Martial can be I think

Martial was top on points per game

Fitz* wrote: »
    I keep trying to remove Minamino out of the team for the opening weekend, but I can't find a suitable one week replacement for him. I think he will play, but not sure for how long. Vulture points are an option for him, as the charity shield game proved. He'd be a massive differential, especially when everyone else has the TAA/Salah.

Saka, ASM, Peireira don't do it for me. Too much guessing the Newcastle team for Fraser/Almiron Maybe Perez will start due to Maddison's injury. Can't afford Barnes. Could actually chance Keita, as he will start IMO.

Keep him in if you feel like that - worst is it doesn't work and then you can move him on.

Worst is, if you feel like that, is he plays and scores

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

What are people's thoughts on Luke Shaw? Positive news form Ole & a snip at 5.0. Think I will bench him from the get-go

• Registered Users Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

What are people's thoughts on Luke Shaw? Positive news form Ole & a snip at 5.0. Think I will bench him from the get-go

Could go with Bavies this week and if he gets a clean sheet, he will 6 points. Which is better than Shaw's 0. Shaw does have better fixtures long term, on paper though. Even a -4 to get Shaw in for Bavies in GW2 would have a net score of 2 points gained if they both receive the same score in GW2.

Is Shaw certain to start? Lindelof is probably more likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Fitz* wrote: »
    Could go with Bavies this week and if he gets a clean sheet, he will 6 points. Which is better than Shaw's 0. Shaw does have better fixtures long term, on paper though. Even a -4 to get Shaw in for Bavies in GW2 would have a net score of 2 points gained if they both receive the same score in GW2.

Ya but I'd be looking at having Dier so Spurs coverage. Shaw - TAA - Dier -- KWP -- Taylor form the get go

Advertisement