Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2020/21

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

joeyboy11 wrote: »
    Is anyone on here getting captain hauls?
    joeyboy11 wrote: »
    It’s difficult to hold your nerve after two blanks.

I think these are the most important sentences you need to focus on. How many blanks in a row are you expecting?

2 is nothing for a set and forget.

My captains are as follows;

Salah(C) 40
    Auba(C) 10
    Salah(C)10
    Jimmy(C) N/A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I had KDB as my set and forget but Pep had him in that stupid 'quarter back' role last two games. He did the same last season for a few games nd eventually moved him further forward.

Hopefully Aguero will be back soon enough too

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

I think these are the most important sentences you need to focus on. How many blanks in a row are you expecting?

2 is nothing for a set and forget.

My captains are as follows;

Salah(C) 40
    Auba(C) 10
    Salah(C)10
    Jimmy(C) N/A

I don’t know, only a matter of time before KDB hauls again. Hopefully they have a it striker after the international break.

60 from 3 gws is very nice. Best of luck with Jimi today. I just transferred him and with this funny game I don’t want him to do “too well” with rivals captaining him! His customary goal and some bps will do nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

I’ve been contemplating a wildcard and going with a 1 premium attacker strategy , to captain mainly all the time & then spread the cash.

There appears to be a lot more people scoring in the game so premium assets are becoming less and less must haves!

Over the last few weeks we’ve heard a lot about must haves when in reality they aren’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

I’ve been contemplating a wildcard and going with a 1 premium attacker strategy , to captain mainly all the time & then spread the cash.

There appears to be a lot more people scoring in the game so premium assets are becoming less and less must haves!

Over the last few weeks we’ve heard a lot about must haves when in reality they aren’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Chesty08 wrote: »

It's entirely possible that it might be the right strategy, it might work.

Yes there are lots of goals from the cheaper strikers/midfielders (mainly because of the handball situation , which will possibly change in the coming weeks)

At the moment I believe the best strategy is a 3-5-2 , but this changes after the international break, normally teams become more settled and clean sheets tend to become more common between oct-mid December so sometimes a switch to 4-4-2, 5-4-1 or even 4-5-1 might be beneficial.
    However with the covid situation and handball/VAR situation it's anyone's guess which is the best strategy this season.

Play your game...enjoy your game and if others are doing better... So what!! At the end of the day it is ONLY a game.

This week I'm having a good gameweek...with 5 players left to play I have 50points, my opening gameweek I picked mane as a captain but also had Salah in my team and didn't captain him... These things happen....we (hopefully) have a long season ahead - loads of time to play your chips and get captain selection correct.

Best of luck.... I generally end the season with about 2000ish points which through the years has seen me finish anywhere from 130,000ish to 1.5m position, at present after 3.5games I'm a little under 200points ...which is grand, I will hopefully have good gameweeks to enjoy....and hopefully loads of other boardsies do too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,772 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

It's entirely possible that it might be the right strategy, it might work.

Yes there are lots of goals from the cheaper strikers/midfielders (mainly because of the handball situation , which will possibly change in the coming weeks)

Play your game...enjoy your game and if others are doing better... So what!! At the end of the day it is ONLY a game.

On the handballs - the media are making more out of it than it is - before this GW, there were onky 6 penalties for handball, and of those 3 would still be a penalty under the new interpretation. So the idea that cheap mids/strikers are getting points because of it is false.

the reason i believe that there are more goals is two fold:
    Less abusive from crowds, so players who might be affected are free to play their game

secondly defenders in the modern game don't know how to defend, without pulling back and hold shirts etc - so to avoid the risk of given a penalty away with VAR, they attacking player will get chances to score.

Finally - on the it's only a game comment - there are many on here that would be winning 500+ a season on the game - so for them it is't just a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Ace2007 wrote: »
    On the handballs - the media are making more out of it than it is - before this GW, there were onky 6 penalties for handball, and of those 3 would still be a penalty under the new interpretation. So the idea that cheap mids/strikers are getting points because of it is false.

the reason i believe that there are more goals is two fold:
    Less abusive from crowds, so players who might be affected are free to play their game

secondly defenders in the modern game don't know how to defend, without pulling back and hold shirts etc - so to avoid the risk of given a penalty away with VAR, they attacking player will get chances to score.

Finally - on the it's only a game comment - there are many on here that would be winning 500+ a season on the game - so for them it is't just a game.
    In the past there was a time when I would have been so invested in football that I could have made €500+ on a game never mind a season, for me.... football is only a game, fantasy football is only a game .... I have 3/4 paid leagues that I’m in, if I play well I could win several hundred ...if I don’t I have lost some money, but as far as I’m concerned as soon as I signed up the money was gone.

I had the opportunity to win over €400 if Leicester won and wolves didn’t in a work last man standing.... Leicester didn’t win so my opportunity is gone, who knows maybe next set of fixtures will give me the opportunity to earn some more money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,510 ✭✭✭✭CSF

They’re so so bad though. Hard to even have Mitro at that price and they target him with every attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Attention all Nyland owners....he got the bullet at Villa so is no longer in the game. This season just keeps on getting better and better...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Have Meslier (WOL), Mitchell (BHA), Brewster (FUL) and Justin (AVL) and tempted to play the bench boost, might hold off just now as unsure if brewster will even play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Attention all Nyland owners....he got the bullet at Villa so is no longer in the game. This season just keeps on getting better and better...

He was never going to play anyway so doesn't really impact anything, at best he'd have made the bench if Martinez got injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Cartman78

He was never going to play anyway so doesn't really impact anything, at best he'd have made the bench if Martinez got injured

As long as he doesn't lose value I don't really mind but annoying all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Markx

I'm the guest on the FPL Surgery podcast this week. https://soundcloud.com/fplsurgery/189thepi

It's usually a good listen so hope I didn't ruin it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Raging that wrestling thread was deleted lol :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,148 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

KDB news throws a spanner into the works... looks like I might have to Wildcard.

There's rumours Podence might be dropped.

Bench is Mitchell - Holding - Reed. Not sure on Mitchell now with PVA back. Holding also I think may have lost his spot.

Alternative is to consider an 8 point hit, KDB and Podence out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Morzadec wrote: »
    KDB news throws a spanner into the works... looks like I might have to Wildcard.

Bench is Mitchell - Holding - Reed. Not sure on Mitchell now with PVA back. Holding also I think may have lost his spot.

Do you reckon PVA will be straight back into the team? He'd be a nice punt on a wildcard.

elefant wrote: »
    Do you reckon PVA will be straight back into the team? He'd be a nice punt on a wildcard.

I really don't know. I know PVA was in training before and now he says he's back. So it's not like he's gone from injured to not injured, more so from lacking match readiness to "back", which I assume means training with the first team squad.

If I had to guess I would say he's back in this week but I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Mitchell hang on a few more weeks

• Advertisement

Where are the Podence rumours coming from? Fan forums?

Markx wrote: »
    Where are the Podence rumours coming from? Fan forums?

Yeah exactly, I saw this guy on Reddit/Twitter who does these GW previews mentioning that fans think that they might switch to 3-5-2 and that Podence might miss out because Neto is apparently looking in good form, scoring for Portugal.

All speculation really, but has always been possible that Podence/Neto/Traore are fighting it out over a couple of slots so they could end up being right.

In the end I'm taking an 8 point hit, the funds from KDB mean I can upgrade Reed instead of Podence, so will keep faith with Podence. If he doesn't play I have Mitchell or Bissouma on the bench so no great disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Pick 3 def to play this gw from Saiss Lamptey Digne Mitchell Ayling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,772 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

manual_man wrote: »

you don't pay 6m+ for a defender to be on the bench - therefore Digne has to play

Wolves have had an indifferent start to the season - hard to know which team turns up after the break - so Saiss v Alying - i would probably pick Alying.

Lamptey shows good attacking instincts so would probably start him or that reason

so Digne>Lamptey>Alying>Saiss=Mitchell would be the order of players

Yeah exactly, I saw this guy on Reddit/Twitter who does these GW previews mentioning that fans think that they might switch to 3-5-2 and that Podence might miss out because Neto is apparently looking in good form, scoring for Portugal.

All speculation really, but has always been possible that Podence/Neto/Traore are fighting it out over a couple of slots so they could end up being right.

In the end I'm taking an 8 point hit, the funds from KDB mean I can upgrade Reed instead of Podence, so will keep faith with Podence. If he doesn't play I have Mitchell or Bissouma on the bench so no great disaster.

I'd taken a -4 before the KDB news so probably looking at a -8 and still have Podence knocking around.

manual_man wrote: »

Lamptey would be my number 1, probably the best attacking potential and could bag a cleany.

I would go with Saiss. Wolves have a good defence and Saiss has a good goal threat.

It's tough between the next 3 -

Digne as one of the hardest fixtures of the season, I don't think you have to start him just cos he's 6.0. Always has some chance of an attacking return and there have been some 0-0s between the sides recently so a cleany isn't a total impossibility.

Mitchell has no attacking threat really. I know he got one assist but it was a cheap one and he doesn't get forward. I rate Brighton going forward, but Palace do get the odd cleansheet and this looks good on paper.

Ayling - apparently Leeds were good at keeping clean sheets at home last season but they haven't shown it so far this year. I heard he's filling in at centre back at the moment so the forward threat might not be there.

Between Digne and Mitchell for me on the last spot, really knife edge decision - Digne prob has a higher ceiling but could end up on 0 whereas it could be 2 for Mitchell with a chance for 6.

Markx wrote: »
    I'd taken a -4 before the KDB news so probably looking at a -8 and still have Podence knocking around.

Yeah my first hit of the season so I'm okay taking -8 here. I could do -4 but I think the -8 will be worth it both this week and weeks to come. Bench is looking thin.

Couldn't quite justify the WC, my front line would be the same and midfield would have looked largely the same after this 8 point hit. I think the fixtures turn for a lot of teams in about 4-5 weeks so I'm thinking that might be a better time to play it.

I don't mind going into next week with Podence. It's very possible he plays and retuns points, he's 2/3 this season for returns and looks a more complete player than Neto right now. If he doesn't Mitchell or Bissouma are good fillers who both have an outside shot of returning.

Lamptey would be my number 1, probably the best attacking potential and could bag a cleany.

I would go with Saiss. Wolves have a good defence and Saiss has a good goal threat.

It's tough between the next 3 -

Digne as one of the hardest fixtures of the season, I don't think you have to start him just cos he's 6.0. Always has some chance of an attacking return and there have been some 0-0s between the sides recently so a cleany isn't a total impossibility.

Mitchell has no attacking threat really. I know he got one assist but it was a cheap one and he doesn't get forward. I rate Brighton going forward, but Palace do get the odd cleansheet and this looks good on paper.

Ayling - apparently Leeds were good at keeping clean sheets at home last season but they haven't shown it so far this year. I heard he's filling in at centre back at the moment so the forward threat might not be there.

Between Digne and Mitchell for me on the last spot, really knife edge decision - Digne prob has a higher ceiling but could end up on 0 whereas it could be 2 for Mitchell with a chance for 6.

Actually thinking about this again, I might be underestimating Ayling a bit. Wolves have not been good going forward lately, 1 goal in the last 2 where you'd have expected them to get at least 4 looking at the fixtures. Maybe Ayling is actually your best clean sheet bet. It's a real tough one, one of those toss ups where I'd possibly consider having a look at the bookies odds for clean sheets if you can't decide. I'd def look into him possibly playing at CB - I thought I read that somewhere but could be wrong, If he played at full back I think I'd go Ayling of these 3

Yeah my first hit of the season so I'm okay taking -8 here. I could do -4 but I think the -8 will be worth it both this week and weeks to come. Bench is looking thin.

Couldn't quite justify the WC, my front line would be the same and midfield would have looked largely the same after this 8 point hit. I think the fixtures turn for a lot of teams in about 4-5 weeks so I'm thinking that might be a better time to play it.

I don't mind going into next week with Podence. It's very possible he plays and retuns points, he's 2/3 this season for returns and looks a more complete player than Neto right now. If he doesn't Mitchell or Bissouma are good fillers who both have an outside shot of returning.

Over the internationals Podence got the least mins out of Traore, Neto and him.
    Points to a Traore benching again hopefully.

Daniel Podence – Portugal – 0 + 0 + 15 = 15
    Pedro Neto – Portugal Under-21s – 70 + 27 = 97
    Adama Traoré – Spain – 28 + 33 + 90 = 151

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

For those on wildcard, would you go without Liverpool defense?

They look a lot less secure with Adrian at the back, and the downgrade makes my team look a lot better.

But the fear :P

Advertisement