Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2020/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Thought this was interesting.

The #1 OR in the world on FPL got knocked out of the cup losing 62-69.

Happens the best!

https://fantasy.premierleague.com/entry/4865323/event/17#/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,239 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Happens the best!

Having looked through that person's previous history I'm fairly confident that even I'm better than them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was looking at the fpl statistico site to see the pattern of my season.

https://www.anewpla.net/fpl/report/index.php

What I have done right or where I have went wrong (mostly). Currently ranked at 1.3m so not doing much.

What is odd for me is that I seemed to have got most of captains 'correct'.
    As of gw 17 - just 6 of my captains have scored less than 6 (3 doubled).

Which is kind of odd for me as normally it is the rest of my squad that keeps me in the mix, as I get a lot of captains wrong.

My main downfall seems to be waiting for Man City to get into gear I have had Sterling since gameweek 4 - who has been inconsistent to say the least.

Had Fernandes and Salah on various occasions instead of ditching Sterling.

It has been a real surprise to me how consistent Fernandes, Kane, and Bamford all have been. I figure those three and Sterling's lack of punch were the key factors in my threading fpl water.

I might have to change from my policy of going with fixtures more than form in future. Unless Sterling and KDB can restore my faith in the idea.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

The above post was after GW 11.

This is where I’m at after GW 17 -

Current overall rank is 1.8m

Moved off the bottom of the FSA Championship H2H league and in to 15th place. Avoiding relegation looking possible now.

170 points behind top 10k.

139 points behind top 50k.

122 points behind top 100k.

71 points behind top 500k.

39 points behind top 1m.

Obviously still not competing in any leagues.

Wish I had built towards the BGW as I don’t want to BB now in the DGW. I only have 4 BGW players so will probably, reluctantly, use FH.

Let’s see what another 5-7 GW’s bring. I’m not feeling too confident as it’s been a real slog.

I had a gawk at your team. I was a bit baffled as to how you were struggling as you only had captains who scored less than 6 (when doubled) on six occasions.

Plus you had more immediate points from transfers than I have. 85 which is more than 20 than myself.

But then I looked at your early weeks. Your gw2 wildcard was a killer only getting you 53 points below the average of that week. A -16 on gw 3 and Jimenez captain 4 points. You even tried Brewster once! The run of captains of 6 or less (when doubled) continued until gw 7 when Kane got 12. Ending a 4 gameweek curse. :eek:

It shows how much a few bad gameweeks in a row can be really difficult to claw back.

Most annoying part for you was you started so well gw1 Salah 40 captain - 700k OR.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Honestly I get the impression from mostly lurking here that people are taking waaaaaaay too many points hits.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Honestly I get the impression from mostly lurking here that people are taking waaaaaaay too many points hits.

Agreed, I have fallen into that trap myself I have taken 27 transfers minus 48 points. Most of the time they did not work only gained 67 points immediately from transfers.

Idea was to be aggressive and build team value.

At the start of the season I took a few -8's and a good few -4's.
    Wildcarded gw2.
    From gw3 - gw13 there was only two times I did not take a -4 and that was to save a transfer :o.

Decided to cool the jets now, have not taken a -4 since gw13 (I sound like a reformed alcoholic :D).

Happy enough with the team, happy enough with the team value. No need to go chasing players now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I was looking at the fpl statistico site to see the pattern of my season.

What I have done right or where I have went wrong (mostly). Currently ranked at 1.3m so not doing much.

What is odd for me is that I seemed to have got most of captains 'correct'.
    As of gw 17 - just 6 of my captains have scored less than 6 (3 doubled).

The only two captains to blank for me are Salah and KDB. Anyone else I captained has gotten returns

My captain returns so far

siblers wrote: »
    The only two captains to blank for me are Salah and KDB. Anyone else I captained has gotten returns

I am starting to think that cheapish consistent players are the ones to get, to bolster a squad. Fellas that keep ticking along under the radar an asist here or there every few games.

I know it is impossible to do well every game week but if you can get balance between a balanced squad and decent captain choices there should not be made fluctuations in overall rank. Some people seem to have a great knack for consistency. I am not one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

What you doing wrong with the rest of your team, if your captain picks are going so well.

I had a gawk at your team. I was a bit baffled as to how you were struggling as you only had captains who scored less than 6 (when doubled) on six occasions.

Plus you had more immediate points from transfers than I have. 85 which is more than 20 than myself.

But then I looked at your early weeks. Your gw2 wildcard was a killer only getting you 53 points below the average of that week. A -16 on gw 3 and Jimenez captain 4 points. You even tried Brewster once! The run of captains of 6 or less (when doubled) continued until gw 7 when Kane got 12. Ending a 4 gameweek curse. :eek:

It shows how much a few bad gameweeks in a row can be really difficult to claw back.

Most annoying part for you was you started so well gw1 Salah 40 captain - 700k OR.

Ha. A lot of that makes sense. I haven’t even tried to analyse it because I know what happened.

I spent 2-3 weeks on my GW 1 team with no intention of using my WC until it was very much needed (and certainly not GW 2).

So lessons learned ?

Don’t go on holiday on the first day of the season.

Don’t give up nicotine on the first day of the season.

Don’t watch MOTD on the first day of the season after multiples of cocktails and convince yourself that 5 at the back is the way to go.

Don’t spend the rest of your holiday (and weeks thereafter) taking hits to correct a stupid and impatient decision.

Nicotine withdrawal is a real thing but at least I’m now 5 months free of it.

Edit - and one of the first things I’d change about FPL would be to remove the weekly captain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Ace2007 wrote: »
    What you doing wrong with the rest of your team, if your captain picks are going so well.

First 6 gws was horrendous. I found it very difficult to figure out what players to pick. Sold Son ahead of Newcastle and benched him against Utd. Had all the wrong defenders, no Bruno etc

Since then I've gone from 7m to 930k and have gone from 100 points behind to 25 points behind in my main league

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I think this might be the best year for captain picking for me:

40, 10, 4, 26, 32, 10, 16, 18, 22, 20, 28, 16, 8, 34, 4, 6, 24,

I think that's just 3 blanks out of 17.

Captain points account for 30.06% of my overall score which seems high, but I don't usually look at this stuff in so much detail so not sure how that would compare to usual, but I'd imagine that might be on the higher end here.

Morzadec wrote: »

Captain points account for 30.06% of my overall score which seems high, but I don't usually look at this stuff in so much detail so not sure how that would compare to usual, but I'd imagine that might be on the higher end here.

That is great going. Normally I seem to be about the 20%/25% mark. I kept archive details of a season where I finished well (for comparison purposes) and I had captain points of 24% of overall score then- at end of season.

Now I have 25% but I am doing far worse in overall rank. So the rest of my team must have done well then, or done badly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The above post was after GW 11.

This is where I’m at after GW 17 -

Current overall rank is 1.8m

Moved off the bottom of the FSA Championship H2H league and in to 15th place. Avoiding relegation looking possible now.

170 points behind top 10k.

139 points behind top 50k.

122 points behind top 100k.

71 points behind top 500k.

39 points behind top 1m.

Obviously still not competing in any leagues.

Wish I had built towards the BGW as I don’t want to BB now in the DGW. I only have 4 BGW players so will probably, reluctantly, use FH.

Let’s see what another 5-7 GW’s bring. I’m not feeling too confident as it’s been a real slog.

I have also been having a tough time of it this year. Have come down the wrong side of so many marginal calls. I was so close to quitting after the Leeds v man Utd gw when I captained rashford and didn't have bruno. 6 goals and no involvement. In 17 gws I have had what I felt on paper was the best captain option on 15 occasions. Twice I took a slight risk and went with rashford over bruno for the utd v west Brom game and utd v Leeds game. Close to 50 points on that decision . Fully aware bruno was the better option but it ended up way worse than could reasonably be expected. Anyway what has kept me sane is the FPL review website as it looks at the decisions you have made and calculates a rank based on that. You can be on the right players at the wrong time and the wrong players at the right time. Each week this happens but you would hope that over a season if you keep making more correct decisions it will balance itself out. The FPL review website gives you a rank based on what the odds were before the games kicked off and a rank based on expected goals so what actually happened in the match. If you haven't looked at it it might put your mind at ease based on the decisions you have made.
    I'm currently 1.1 million was 2 million just before Christmas and had my first what Id class lucky break of the season I got in Tierney last week as a one week punt before wildcard.

That’s incredible. I’ve had 6 blanks already and am on the 100k mark. A couple of ones where it was just the 5 points for an assist also.

Who are you captaining this week so I can jinx you?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

WBA are in talks with WHU looking to buy Snodgrass. Big Sam, set piece tactics etc etc.

Checks price. 5.7m. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Very impressive.
    I think in my wonder Vardez season I was getting 25% which was slightly above an average of 23% Hope I'm remembering correctly!!!

The numbers might be volatile season to season.

Anyway I'm 19.24% this year. 182pts
    Your extra 116pts on my score would have me at 50k OR :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

Just to jump in on the captain picks with a total of 240 points.
    5 blanks - 3 from Salah and 2 from KDB (3 if you count his 4 points in gw 13).
    23% of total score.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Jesus that's unreal going? What's your OR?

Not doing the worst myself. 5 blanks. The one I'm more sickened about is not captained DCL against Fulham when I tried to be too clever and put the armband on Vardy against a "weakened" Liverpool team.

40, 10, 10, 4, 32, 4, 16, 18, 4, 10, 28, 16, 8, 32, 4, 6, 20.

Happens the best!

CSF wrote: »
    Having looked through that person's previous history I'm fairly confident that even I'm better than them!!

Jayus the start the world no1 got in the first four game weeks was ridiculous -

85, 126, 38, 105 - it was so good that the 38 barely made a dent in OR. Big scores without use of any chips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭munster87

What are yer previous all season averages from that site? I’m on 366,566 from 10 seasons or so

munster87 wrote: »
    What are yer previous all season averages from that site? I’m on 366,566 from 10 seasons or so
    80.3k would be my average for last 10 seasons.

However, the 10th season on that is a 414114 outlier, so if I continue as I am going this year, my 10 year average should shoot way down to about 30-40k (or better if I can do better than 40k this year, I'm currently on 100k pretty much exactly)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭893bet

I just looked and realised how bad my choices have been.
    7 blanks and a fair few single assists. Rarely the highest scoring player being picked as captain.

Top 50k overall but could have been a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

28k over 10 seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

A tale of declining level of fcuks given....

Playing for 8 seasons including this one.

Average of first 4 seasons - 9,263
    Average of first 6 seasons - 25,646
    Average of all 8 including current OR this year - 330,021. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

28k over 10 seasons

Mental consistency there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

FHFC wrote: »
    A tale of declining level of fcuks given....

Playing for 8 seasons including this one.

Average of first 4 seasons - 9,263
    Average of first 6 seasons - 25,646
    Average of all 8 including current OR this year - 330,021. :D

45k for my first 6 conscious seasons
    135k up to and including this season (10 seasons)

Since I peaked at 5k in 16/17 I've averaged 320k

117k atm feels like an exceptional achievement :pac:

98,729 from 14 years - a grizzled inconsistent veteran.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

187k for me over 13 seasons, but my first season back in 07/08 I only signed up in January so I have a rank of 1.7 million that season skewing things.

So it would be 74k without that half-season in there, over 12 full seasons.

56k in the last 3 seasons.

I never really paid attention to OR until the last 4 or 5 seasons, was always exclusively about the mini-leagues (still is to be fair but there is a sense of achievement in getting a good OR!), but that first season where I signed up halfway through is annoying me now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

22,515 average over 12 seasons for me.

Need to sort out my captaincy issues (3 blanks in a row and 4 in last 5) or that will be increasing.

Advertisement