Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2020/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

claw wrote: »
    Didn't notice that. Is there a code of conduct for what you can name a league?

Dunno but I’d imagine so.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,092 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

claw wrote: »
    Didn't notice that. Is there a code of conduct for what you can name a league?

Yes just like there is with team names. There is the ability to report offensive team and league names on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The 6th league in his list is now CHANGE NAME.

Was that the one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭claw

Shedite27 wrote: »

Was that the one?

That's the one! That was quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Was that the one?

Yes. It was something about Hitler and it didn’t seem uncomplementary.

A Bulgarian won FF last year but it got taken off him for racism...as far as I remember.

This league was full of Bulgarians.

• Advertisement

A Bulgarian won FF last year but it got taken off him for racism...as far as I remember.

The league I am in with this guy is made up of all kinds of nationalities. I joined it a good few years ago, I think from the Fantasy Premier League Facebook page. You wonder how they got away with the league name for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

So did someone from the thread report the league name amazing its gone a few hrs after highlighted here.

I don't condone the name at all but far too many Pedantic Pats in this forum lately.

kilburn wrote: »
    So did someone from the thread report the league name amazing its gone a few hrs after highlighted here.

I don't condone the name at all but far too many Pedantic Pats in this forum lately.

I didn't report it anyway. The league I am in with the guy who was in that league is called "I love you long time, mister!". I'm sure someone somewhere will be offended with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Sounds like Chris Wilder has got (or is about to get) the bullet.

Could be a great time to load up on Sheff Utd said nobody ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Sounds like Chris Wilder has got (or is about to get) the bullet.

Could be a great time to load up on Sheff Utd said nobody ever

Brewster back in :)

Is it weird they do it now, get settled in before next season I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 42,092 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Confirmation that Wilder has left Sheffield United.

https://twitter.com/SheffieldUnited/status/1370838496517234691

The prize for overachieving. Surely he walked ?

They couldn’t have been stupid enough to push him.

Right. A discussion on weekly captains needed.

I went in to this season with the intention of owning KDB and Fernandes.

I was going to captain the home player, each week, until I read a piece about KDB being better at home and Fernandes being better away from home.

I want to start next season and remove this decision from myself. So I will need a plan/rule that automatically picks my captain.

I don’t want to be too rigid, as it may be detrimental, but I want to remove the weekly decision.

All I can come up with is rolling a die. Just shortlist my 4-5 most likely/expensive players and roll a die each week. I would stick to that and it removes the heartache of choice.

Anyone out there that sticks to a season long, captain picking, plan to remove the heartache of calling it wrong ?

I may trial something for the remainder of this season if I read a better option than my randomly generated captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I was going to captain the home player, each week, until I read a piece about KDB being better at home and Fernandes being better away from home.

I want to start next season and remove this decision from myself. So I will need a plan/rule that automatically picks my captain.

I don’t want to be too rigid, as it may be detrimental, but I want to remove the weekly decision.

All I can come up with is rolling a die. Just shortlist my 4-5 most likely/expensive players and roll a die each week. I would stick to that and it removes the heartache of choice.

Anyone out there that sticks to a season long, captain picking, plan to remove the heartache of calling it wrong ?

I may trial something for the remainder of this season if I read a better option than my randomly generated captain.

Could just go with highest picked player you own on the captain poll here or on FFScout. At least that way if it goes bad there'll be a lot in a similar boat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

They may not trust him with the money anymore. £50m spent on Brewster, Mousset and McBurnie and they've one PL goal between them this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Who knows what sort of contract he had, perhaps the extension he signed at start of season (until 2024) had a clause for the board to execute and decided to get rid now instead of paying him big bucks in the championship.

You see so many random cases in the league and most I suspect are bonus and clauses in contracts.

I suspect that Mitrovic has some sort of bonus in his contract based on appearances/starts given how few games he seems to start.

If Craig Dawson for instance if he starts 15 games, West Ham have to buy him for 2m, a steal none the less, but random clauses do exist.

They may not trust him with the money anymore. £50m spent on Brewster, Mousset and McBurnie and they've one PL goal between them this season.

That’s if it’s him spending the money. I doubt it is.

There are not many managers left doing that anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Not really Wilder's fault, the board fell for the auld Brewster is English, plays with Liverpool and therefore worth 25m, despite never scoring a PL goal. Greenwood could have joined them this season and probably wouldn't have scored either, given their type of football wouldn't suit him anymore than it does Brewster.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Who knows what sort of contract he had, perhaps the extension he signed at start of season (until 2024) had a clause for the board to execute and decided to get rid now instead of paying him big bucks in the championship.

You see so many random cases in the league and most I suspect are bonus and clauses in contracts.

I suspect that Mitrovic has some sort of bonus in his contract based on appearances/starts given how few games he seems to start.

If Craig Dawson for instance if he starts 15 games, West Ham have to buy him for 2m, a steal none the less, but random clauses do exist.

I doubt it. They have the comfort of parachute payments and will have considered relegation for any new contracts.

I’ve read enough books of ex players and managers to know that you are 100% correct about clauses but they usually only get looked at when things are absolutely dire financially.

If Scott Parker thought Mitro could keep them up he wouldn’t care one jot about clauses. I appreciate it was just one example you plucked form the sky but clubs have to be near folding before they care too much about random clauses.

Anyway. I think it was a terrible move by them but we don’t need to worry about that next season unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

That’s if it’s him spending the money. I doubt it is.

There are not many managers left doing that anymore.

Apparently he had full control over transfers and they wanted to appoint a DoF to oversee it instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Ace2007 wrote: »

It was rumoured a few years ago that as part of the Ox transfer from Southampton to Arsenal, that Arsenal had to pay Southampton 10,000 every time he played 20 mins. A lot of his sub appearances came after the 71st minute.

I know for definite that a small Irish club receive a nice little payday for every X amount of games their ex-player starts in the PL.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,236 ✭✭✭✭CSF

My thinking on this is that people come up with a rule to do the opposite of what went badly for them the last time they did it.

Then the opposite happens next time (as it often will) and they decide that their decision to do it was terrible. Whereas if the exact same decision goes well we’ll conclude that it was a stroke of genius.

Think the likes of yourself are well capable of taking each individual decision on its own merits.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,236 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Apparently he had full control over transfers and they wanted to appoint a DoF to oversee it instead.

If it’s the case that Wilder didn’t want to stay if a DOF was appointed, then the media’s outrage over them parting ways is the usual bullsh*t we see with any English manager.

Wilder certainly hasn’t done nearly bad enough this season to be getting sacked based on that, nor can you be flexing and demanding complete control of transfers after spunking a lot of money on Brewster and Ramsdale and finishing last.

Wow. Well that makes a lot more sense now so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Tried a similar approach, captain Salah for every home game. Gave up after a few weeks.

Tried a similar approach, captain Salah for every home game. Gave up after a few weeks.

That’s what I mean by too rigid.

I think an element of randomness may be the way I’ll go.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭nice bit of green

I have changed captains most weeks this season. Defo would’ve been better off just keeping it on one of Salah, Kane or Bruno for a good run of games. I try to make ground by going slightly leftfield. PEA last week, Watkins this week but it has never really paid big dividends.

I have changed captains most weeks this season. Defo would’ve been better off just keeping it on one of Salah, Kane or Bruno for a good run of games. I try to make ground by going slightly leftfield. PEA last week, Watkins this week but it has never really paid big dividends.

The efforts of making ground by going leftfield (captain) can very quickly lead to dropping even further behind.

I do be guilty of that myself.

Again, that’s why if I can find a system I like, that makes that weekly captain decision, I’d give it a try for the remainder of this season with the intention of using it next season if it’s pain free and ‘successful’.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭nice bit of green

Stick with Bruno or Kane from here on in? They will play every game when fit. Salah off the boil, KDB rotation policy.

Advertisement