Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much is a "drop of milk" in tea?

• 27-07-2020 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Hi all

As the thread title says, I'm wondering how much constitutes a "drop" of milk in tea?

I've been advised by a dietician that I can only have a drop in a cup of tea as part of diet changes to try ward off calcium oxalate kidney stones.

Thanks in advance.

MM

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Just enough to turn its colour I should say. You could always learn to take it black and take out the worry of whether it's too much or not. It's really not bad, and would be just a matter of getting used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

quickbeam wrote: »
    Just enough to turn its colour I should say. You could always learn to take it black and take out the worry of whether it's too much or not. It's really not bad, and would be just a matter of getting used to it.

Is there any point in drinking tea then? It would be strong as f@%k if only a little milk is in it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I need a good bit, which means pouring gently for three seconds.

A drop is probably just that you gently let one drop of milk into the tea. :(

My sympathies, could you switch to a non-dairy alternative? My spouse drinks all the milk, so I always have back up milk ready that they won't drink :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

A drop is a very non-specific amount, so I'd agree with the above that you're better off weaning yourself off the milk altogether than trying to solve that conundrum.

s1ippy wrote: »
    I need a good bit, which means pouring gently for three seconds.

A drop is probably just that you gently let one drop of milk into the tea. :(

My sympathies, could you switch to a non-dairy alternative? My spouse drinks all the milk, so I always have back up milk ready that they won't drink :D

My OH drinks Lactose free milk, so I leave that to her?? What would be a non-dairy alternative to milk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Is there any point in drinking tea then? It would be strong as f@%k if only a little milk is in it?

It's quite nice

You could just brew it for not as long to make up for what is diluted by the milk. Not rocket science. Or, dilute with more water instead of milk (which is effectively the same as not brewing for as long).

Soya or nut milks would be alternatives but I'd check with your dietician first, as they also contain calcium if the aim is to avoid that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

My OH drinks Lactose free milk, so I leave that to her?? What would be a non-dairy alternative to milk?

Oat, soya, almond , coconut , tons of random stuff but honestly it'd probably be better black

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I use unsweetened oat milk or soya in tea, or if I'm making hot chocolate I'd use unsweetened almond. Almond breaks up and leaves a funny reside in tea.

Lactofree are grand flavour-wise as well but I feel like the nut and plant varieties are probably less processed (haven't checked though).

• Advertisement

quickbeam wrote: »
    You could just brew it for not as long to make up for what is diluted by the milk. Not rocket science. Or, dilute with more water instead of milk (which is effectively the same as not brewing for as long).

Dietitian is probably sneakily trying to get me off tea altogether?

I'm talking about teabags here btw

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

Hi all

As the thread title says, I'm wondering how much constitutes a "drop" of milk in tea?

I've been advised by a dietician that I can only have a drop in a cup of tea as part of diet changes to try ward off calcium oxalate kidney stones.

Thanks in advance.

MM

you could say enough when you see the colour of your tea has change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd say get a second opinion. Get tested for oxalate if you haven't.
    https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/urologic-diseases/kidney-stones/eating-diet-nutrition has info

On topic, it's a teaspoon's worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Should the dietitian who recommended 'only a drop' not be advising what they meant instead of everyone else guessing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭VG31

If it's too strong, try a lighter tea like Darjeeling. Pretty much any leaf tea will be lighter also as the tea used in teabags are crushed pellets which are much stronger.

Should the dietitian who recommended 'only a drop' not be advising what they meant instead of everyone else guessing?

Got it clarified. Dietitian said I should be using what the average person uses in their tea.

I'm talking about teabags here btw

I switched to milk-free tea about 2 years ago. I couldn't imagine going back to it now. I still love my tea, and its much more convenient for a number of reasons. I mostly use teabags by the way.

Got it clarified. Dietitian said I should be using what the average person uses in their tea.

I think you need a new dietician. Thats a very vague clarification.

Your dietitian may be trolling you...

• Advertisement

I switched to milk-free tea about 2 years ago. I couldn't imagine going back to it now. I still love my tea, and its much more convenient for a number of reasons. I mostly use teabags by the way.

Me too. It was always a lottery in our work canteen whether the milk would be fresh or not, so I took the chance out of it, and just went black. It's grand.

OP, your dietitian sounds very inept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Yes milk free tea is the way to go. It takes all of a couple of cups to get used to. I will never go back to tea with milk.

22d2290e4178f6009a52522260163ac05864decce7b7e5c650fbbd8b0211d974.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Tea without milk is disgusting, tried it a few times. I'd recommend using a tiny drop and add a little water and wait for it to cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Ask her to be serious and what measurement she means.

Ask her to be serious and what measurement she means.

Did you just assume their gender???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Did you just assume their gender???
    yes i regret nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Hi all

Thanks in advance.

MM

If you have calcium oxalate kidney stones. It's oxalate rich foods and not calcium rich foods that you should be cutting out.

black tea is the business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

just a few drops enough to change the tea colour

• Registered Users Posts: 12 90slovingDJ

Try Oat Barista Milk.. you will never need any drop of milk again

Advertisement