Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men's barber prices

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Wiggywiggle

€27 for a dry/basic cut is seriously taking the piss.
    I know (from family and friends) a few barbers outside the city are charging that. Up from €17 to €20 after first lockdown. Now up 35% again in less than a year.

Rip off galway in full flow. They’ll be complaining in 6 months that people are cutting their hair at home

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

€27 for a dry/basic cut is seriously taking the piss.
    I know (from family and friends) a few barbers outside the city are charging that. Up from €17 to €20 after first lockdown. Now up 35% again in less than a year.

I'm happy to pay that for a good barber that takes their time and uses a scissors.
    I got mine done on Tuesday in Gallaghers on Dominck St.
    Was in the chair for 50 minutes and was charged €26 - told him to keep the €4.
    If you are in and out in 10 minutes - then yeah, €14 or whatever, is probably about right, but to work out if it is fair, you should be happy for your barber to earn min €15 p/h, but more like €18-€20 p/h and factor in costs, rent etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭i_steal_sheep

Got mine cut in Fat Tony's in Oranmore, on Tuesday. €5 to book online and another €19 on the day. I was just shy of 40 minutes in the chair. I love being able to book a time slot and within a few minutes of that time actually sitting in the chair getting a cut as opposed to spending upwards of an hour waiting like in the past. It's also well worth it to get the barber you want. So I'm willing to pay the €5 but I'll be honest I'm not as generous with the tipping as a result... but the way I look at it, that's between John Maguire and his staff. I'm sure they will notice the reduction in tips and they'll be making their boss aware of that! I'm also not buying their own-branded products either any more.

I'm sitting here laughing at some of ye paying booking fee's. Are ye well?!?

Would you pay to book a table in a restaurant?
    Would your partner pay to book in a hairdresser?
    Would you pay to book a time for your car in the local garage?

If I was still going to the barbers I'm be telling them to take a running jump for a booking fee, either they want my business or they dont

Booking fee, ha

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Redkite200

I'm sure there's still a few about where you can get your hair cut for 10-15 euro by someone decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Val's in Tuam 14 bucks!

Reading 40-50 mins in the chair, Jebus what are ye getting done :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Got mine cut in Fat Tony's in Oranmore, on Tuesday. €5 to book online and another €19 on the day. I was just shy of 40 minutes in the chair. I love being able to book a time slot and within a few minutes of that time actually sitting in the chair getting a cut as opposed to spending upwards of an hour waiting like in the past. It's also well worth it to get the barber you want. So I'm willing to pay the €5 but I'll be honest I'm not as generous with the tipping as a result... but the way I look at it, that's between John Maguire and his staff. I'm sure they will notice the reduction in tips and they'll be making their boss aware of that! I'm also not buying their own-branded products either any more.

40 minutes for a haircut???

Is that typical time for everyone or do you have very long hair or something? If you don't mind me asking that is

Booking fee, ha

I'm laughing at the 40 and 50 minutes in the chair thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I'm sitting here laughing at some of ye paying booking fee's. Are ye well?!?

Would you pay to book a table in a restaurant?
    Would your partner pay to book in a hairdresser?
    Would you pay to book a time for your car in the local garage?

If I was still going to the barbers I'm be telling them to take a running jump for a booking fee, either they want my business or they dont

Booking fee, ha

Restaurant's Do charge it in places just to make sure you show up. It's the same here.

Restaurant's Do charge it in places just to make sure you show up. It's the same here.

Outside of JP's places during race week, I'd say you would be hard pushed to find any restaurant asking you to pay a fee to book a table

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I've never heard of anywhere in Galway asking for such a fee. Can you give us an example of somewhere regularly doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Sleeper12 wrote: »

It’s ridiculous. I remember getting my hair cut in a certain barbers (mentioned above for putting his pricing up again) a couple of years back. You book online for a 30min slot. This lad was a Romanian cutting my hair. He spent more time spraying crap into my hair than he did cutting it. Literally just shaving the same spots over and over again.

Absolute cringe.

Some restaurants do charge but it comes off the bill once you show up. Seems some barbers are charging it as an extra charge

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

kheb wrote: »
    €5 extra for the convenience of booking and not waiting for up to an hour on a busy Friday evening or Saturday is good value to me but maybe not to others.

5 euro is 5 euro.

If your local shop offered to have your litre of milk ready for you when you came in instead of going down the aisles and they charged 5 euro for that service would you be as supportive?

Businesses around the country are playing the poor mouth after getting money thrown at them all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Who can forget this classic thread last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭kheb

Pussyhands wrote: »
    5 euro is 5 euro.

If your local shop offered to have your litre of milk ready for you when you came in instead of going down the aisles and they charged 5 euro for that service would you be as supportive?

Businesses around the country are playing the poor mouth after getting money thrown at them all year.
    An hour of my time is worth €5 when waiting for a haircut. It’s also safer that having to queue indoors with COVID-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Some restaurants do charge but it comes off the bill once you show up. Seems some barbers are charging it as an extra charge

It does come off the price. It costs 24 euro , 5 euro deposit and you pay 19 after the cut

It does come off the price. It costs 24 euro , 5 euro deposit and you pay 19 after the cut

Well if that is the case I don't see what people are giving out about. So it only costs you the 5 euros if you don't show up.

What restaurants in Galway charge money to make a booking/charged it before covid?

Honestly intrigued as the only ones I know of were JP's during the race weeks when he was going cracked with no-shows and I'm not even sure if he went ahead with it

What restaurants in Galway charge money to make a booking/charged it before covid?

I'm a Dub so I can't answer that. I was talking about in general restaurants have been charging booking fees /deposits for a few years now. In Dublin selfish people book a table in a city restaurant for 8pm for 10 people. Unfortunately they also booked another 3 or 4 restaurants for the same time. The 10 people meet in the pub first and then decide what restaurant they want to eat in. The other restaurant's now have a large empty table on a Saturday night. Booking deposit isn't unreasonable if the fee comes off the bill assuming you turn up. If you turn up then there is no fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I spent plenty of time pre-covid in barbers waiting for my turn and the longest I saw a barber take was 25-30 minutes. My own haircuts are fairly straightforward affairs, so take considerably less. I'm willing to accept a haircut taking 40-50 minutes, but I've never seen it and I wouldn't have that sort of patience.
    I personally think the price increases are a bit much. Masks, gloves and sanitizer per customer shouldn't amount to that much and the perspex screens are a one off cost that aren't that expensive and should be recouped quickly.
    Re the appointment charge, never in 30 years of booking tables in many, many restaurants here in Galway, or indeed anywhere in Ireland, have I been asked for a charge to hold the table. It's a nonsense and a gouge by the barbers adding it to the price.

Advertisement