Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Timber size issue

• 27-07-2020 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Started a garden shed and had timber delivered. Just started to build walls and noticed the 16’ lengths (top/botttom plate) of 4x2 nominal are 96mmx39mm and the 8’ lengths (for studs) are 94mmx41mm...from same builder providers...

State the obvious but won’t the 2mm cause me issues with boarding out....??

Sitting a over a week now under a cover beside each other so same storage conditions.

Only bought the 8’ instead of 16’ as easier to handle...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Whats the finish inside and out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,471 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What are you putting on the walls?
    I think you should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Common enough thats why the sizes are said to be nominal (look up nominal).

You build to one face on a shed normally the outside face so that face is will be "flat". On the inside you are only going to have the header and footer sticking out by 2mm which is nothing in a shed.

I'd be very surprised if all your 8ft 4x2 are all the same size so expect other variations.

Don't forget its a shed not a Chippendale cabinet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Line it up on the inside, the outside will be fine.

edit: opposite to GinSoaked's advice. Now I'm doubting myself :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Darando

mickdw wrote: »
    What are you putting on the walls?
    I think you should be ok.

Outside be boarded with 11mm osb and then battens/clad. Inside tbd-maybe plasterboard or else osb...

Thanks folks-Yeap overthought it and said wtf..thought the delivered sizes might match.(knew never be 4x2)

Chippendale cabinet :) miles away from that accuracy

Lumen v Ginsoaked :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Itll be fine, 2mm wont matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I tell you what is a pain in the arse, ordering rough sawn joists perfectly sized for specific hangers and getting PAO.

Ffffff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Darando

Lumen wrote: »
    I tell you what is a pain in the arse, ordering rough sawn joists perfectly sized for specific hangers and getting PAO.

Ffffff.

Or 6x2 that’s so cupped you could eat soup from it. Try that in joist hangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Lumen wrote: »
    Line it up on the inside, the outside will be fine.

edit: opposite to GinSoaked's advice. Now I'm doubting myself :pac:

I build sheds flat on a bench then raise them up. I normally make up the frame with all the timbers flat on the bench then turn that over to make the opposite frame flat against the first. The touching faces becoming the outside. I don't normally line them so its just easier to keep the outside face lined up.

But 2 mm in nothing when it comes to rough saw treated timber. I've normally find the odd end in a bundle of timber as much as 10mm out but it all finds a place in the shed somewhere. Worst timbers including the banana ones end up cut short into noggins.

Advertisement