Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builder asking for second payment

Options
  • 28-07-2020 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

We are in the middle of an extension and it's going very slowly as its hit and miss if block layers turn up. Works started six weeks ago and we paid a deposit of €10k. The builder is asking me for another €10k - is this normal i.e paying in instalments and should I be getting some paperwork/receipts etc. I should also mention that the old extension had to be demolished first and that took 2 weeks but all done by just one man.

Ww have quotes but not a Contract. I know costs have to be covered but I dont want to hand over money again not knowing where its going and no receipts/paperwork trail. I would appreciate any advice/insight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

angeleyes wrote: »
    We are in the middle of an extension and it's going very slowly as its hit and miss if block layers turn up. Works started six weeks ago and we paid a deposit of €10k. The builder is asking me for another €10k - is this normal i.e paying in instalments and should I be getting some paperwork/receipts etc.

Ww have quotes but not a Contract. I know costs have to be covered but I dont want to hand over money again not knowing where its going and no receipts/paperwork trail. I would appreciate any advice/insight.
    I would advice a contract to be done with a laid out plan of stages of work/progress . And when payments are needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

At what stage is block work at now.
    Are concrete floors in
    Are they many rows up on outside walls
    What size is the extension.
    In fairness on a standard 40m² extension 6 weeks should really be at the slabbing and skiming stage of the job.
    But every job is different depending on size and
    interior works involved.
    If I was the client and its even in the builders favour to have a stage payment system agreed on before the job goes any further
    Say ballpark 10- 15k every 2 weeks depending on projected fortnightly completed stages.
    Eg: ground work to floor level
    Steel & structural work if any
    Block work to rooflevel
    Roof installed and weather tight
    Windows and doors installed
    First fix electrical and plumbing
    Slabing and skimming, exterior plastering
    Then finishes including
    Carpentry, electrical, plumbing, tiling, kitchen and others .
    Some stages could be 5k one week others 20k one week depending on job itself and projected completion time frame.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

angeleyes wrote: »
    We are in the middle of an extension and it's going very slowly as its hit and miss if block layers turn up. Works started six weeks ago and we paid a deposit of €10k. The builder is asking me for another €10k - is this normal i.e paying in instalments and should I be getting some paperwork/receipts etc. I should also mention that the old extension had to be demolished first and that took 2 weeks but all done by just one man.

What professional are you using for certification?
    They should be certifying the stage payments.

Advertisement