Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis Legalisation Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Could be just me but I find all this different strain and effects thing to be bullsh*t, all properly grown indoor skunk has the same effects. The whole weed sommelier thing is a bit ridiculous.

As a beer drinker I find your observations to be the polar opposite of mine. Give me a load of German lager brewed according to their laws and I'll get drunk and feel groggy but ok the next day. Give me some mass produced, chemical-laced muck from the US and I'll need a priest the following day. They are both beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I live in Canada. Been legal here for a while. All is well. The country has not gone crazy and loads of jobs have been created. I live in a mid sized town in a rural area. Three plants here that used to grow tomatoes are weed ops. Huge too. Needs to be done in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Personally I'd ban alcohol and cigarettes too if I had the chance and I wouldn't even entertain the idea of legalising more drugs. If there was a referendum on the matter I'd make sure to fly home to vote against it.

I live in Canada. Been legal here for a while. All is well. The country has not gone crazy and loads of jobs have been created. I live in a mid sized town in a rural area. Three plants here that used to grow tomatoes are weed ops. Huge too. Needs to be done in Ireland

The drinking age there is 18 as well. Has that resulted in road carnage like the 21 limit was supposed to prevent south of the border.

Oh...and I believe assisted suicide is legal in Canada as well. I hear such legislation has resulted in the population being now a quarter of what it used to be because everyone is hanging themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Personally I'd ban alcohol and cigarettes too if I had the chance and I wouldn't even entertain the idea of legalising more drugs. If there was a referendum on the matter I'd make sure to fly home to vote against it.

And your reasons are?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

Nothing anyone will ever say will change my mind regarding legalising any drugs.
    They are for wasters and losers. My opinion.

So you don't drink then? Do your family or friends or are they wasters and losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

you sound like the kinda guy that looks forward to reading the obituaries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

- Legalize it
    - Control quality - remove the risk of tainted 50bags
    - Educate people on what they are smoking - different strains have different effects - the customer can decide what they want in a controlled, safe environment.
    - Like most other countries create a monthly limit you can buy
    - Allow personal growth of a couple of plants for personal use
    - anybody that buys form a shop must present a government issued card that tracks amounts purchase and age etc
    - The black market will always exist just like it does for cigerettes, alcohol, fake bags etc - but it would be greatly reduced
    - It's not for everybody but is for a lot of people - personal choice at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,300 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'd argue in favour of personal liberties for responsible adults myself, seeing as we live in a free society. Otherwise, we just become a totalitatrians state.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

As a beer drinker I find your observations to be the polar opposite of mine. Give me a load of German lager brewed according to their laws and I'll get drunk and feel groggy but ok the next day. Give me some mass produced, chemical-laced muck from the US and I'll need a priest the following day. They are both beers.

All beer makes me equally hungover. One of the worst hangovers I've ever had was the day after a drinking session in Munich, drinking in the Augustiner and Spaten kellers, those flagship clean reinheitsgebot beers.
    For me it's the alcohol that makes you sick, not the other ingredients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So you don't drink then? Do your family or friends or are they wasters and losers.

Obama, Clinton, Steve Jobs, Varadkar, all the best musicians of the 60s/70s, all of them dabbled in drugs. It's ridiculous how narrow minded people are about drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

And your reasons are?

I don't like seeing people inebriated on the streets, out of their senses where they're more liable to make bad decisions that affect others. I also don't think hospital staff should have to put up with drug overdoses and violent outbursts.

I would be quite happy for some form of cannabis to be offered as a prescribed drug for those with chronic pain so long as it was agreed upon by three doctors or more.

I don't like seeing people inebriated on the streets, out of their senses where they're more liable to make bad decisions that affect others. I also don't think hospital staff should have to put up with drug overdoses and violent outbursts.

I would be quite happy for some form of cannabis to be offered as a prescribed drug for those with chronic pain so long as it was agreed upon by three doctors or more.

What the wha...?! So you've never been to street festivals, concerts, or been part of a drunken happy group with your pals leaving the pub having a sing song in the back of the taxi on the way home?
    I have a picture of a very joyless and colourless life you depict because of the few in comparison who find themselves abusing hospital staff on a regular basis.
    This thread is about Cannabis Legalisation, and it's very nearly impossible to overdose on marijuana.
    3 doctors to confer on treatment? :pac: What do you want, a supreme court style hearing and 3 separate fees just to decide on one course of treatment for one person? Struggling to find any logic here.

Tell me, how often do hospitals have to put up with violent outbursts from people who overdose on cannabis?

I'm assuming you DO know what a drug is and that are all different, correct? Or no...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Would you give over.

Yes idiots will be idiots and get drunk on the streets. But it’s the minority not the majority.

Personally i have 3 kids so I haven’t be drunk In a long while. Nice and tipsy playing a computer game or watching Netflix with herself but not drunk drunk.

And prior to that yes I got drunk but never ended up in hospital as a result.

I’ve also had plenty of weed in my time prior to kids and the odd bit in Amsterdam since kids (not around them) and have managed to function as a normal person would.

Ultimately people will find drugs somehow. Through a dealer or they’ll brew beer if they have to. Look how prohibition worked in the past ffs.

The obvious and prudent thing to do with weed is legalise it, regulate it and tax it. We’re talking about substance that is on par with alcohol and should be treated similarly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

If people can smoke cigarettes and drink cheap beer people over 21 should be able to go to a shop and buy hash.
    Sell it and tax it. Anyone who wants it can buy it now, from a local dealer . It's like beer in the 20s prohibition.
    People bought it from criminals since it was not available in legal retail outlets.
    I think it's like divorce or gay marriage
    , there has to be a campaign to legalise it and politicians will take action on it.
    It took a long campaign for divorce to be legalised.
    Ireland is now multicultural, we have many non nationals living here.
    I think if it was put to a vote it would probably be made legal.
    People are buying cannabis already,
    Also it has many positive medical
    uses, there are some medical conditions
    for which cannabis is a very effective
    treatment with few side effects
    Using cannabis does not turn you into
    a wild drug addict.
    Many famous celebrity's actors and writers have admitted to using cannabis
    regularly while working and living a normal life

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

This cannabis discussion is very wide ranging with entrenched positions evident on many sides. As regards what it is that drives the cannabis business at least one important element is being missed and that is the profit. The media relentlessly blare out loudly (usually in their headlines) about the value of the drugs seized. They are actually flying kites when they do that because drugs cannot be evaluated until they have been analysed and identified but a good headline on a story cannot wait. My contention is that the lurid portrayal of top notch lotto like valuations on drugs seized, excite the criminal mind (and the non criminal minds too betimes) and lure the career criminals especially to continue looking for their jackpot. Until recent times, customs and guards could often be heard to say that they probably seize merely 10% of what enters the country and if that is anyway near the truth then it follows, does it not, that there must be an awful lot of jackpots reaching base untouched by the lawmen. That kind of reporting serves as a price booster too, that is of immense value to the drug dealers.

Recidivism has been studied widely in many countries and a common thread is that the offenders who are devoted to lives of crime (over 50% in this country) spend little time reforming their mindsets towards being a better citizen and an awful lot of time figuring out a better plan which will ensure that they collect their jackpot next time. The silly thing that got them caught last time just needs to be avoided because there's multiple big bucks just waiting around the corner in the drugs market. I mean the market is huge, just look at the size of the seizures that are made, we are often told, and intended for this or that location.

And the reason the media highlight drug busts as they undoubtedly do?.....Very simple, it's because there is a long standing symbiotic relationship between the police and the media that isn't awfully difficult to figure out.

Cannabis is avaidable in every small town in ireland ,its just not legal to sell it or buy it.
    Are you saying cannabis is fine ,if the government allows a non profit organisation to sell it at cost price.
    selling beer and cigarettes and vaping acessorys is a business .
    If there were legal dispensarys it would mean drug gangs would no longer make a profit selling cannabis .

A headline from the UK today:

"Mind-altering THC chemical in cannabis could help prevent and treat deadly COVID-19 complications by blocking harmful immune response, research shows"
    :pac:

I don't think I've ever heard of a cannabis "overdose".

And for your information when all drugs, soft and hard, were decriminalised in Portugal the instances of overdoses plummeted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

"Mind-altering THC chemical in cannabis could help prevent and treat deadly COVID-19 complications by blocking harmful immune response, research shows"

Seems to be working for me! :D
    I don't think I've ever heard of a cannabis "overdose".

You haven't. There isn't a single recorded legitimate case of cannabis overdose (specifically cannabis, not including mixing with other drugs/alcohol).

"Mind-altering"...?

"Mind-altering"...?

Sure! *not in hallucinogenic sense

People are using drugs everyday, it's easy to get them.
    Making cannabis legal would probably make no difference to people turning up at Er under the influence of hard drugs.
    People can od from using hard drugs
    Cocaine, heroin etc
    Many states in America have made cannabis legal and it has not resulted in
    hospitals being flooded with drug addicts. It's sold in dispensarys and taxed. I think you need to show ID to prove you are over a certain age to buy it
    People with certain medical conditions
    use cannabis as a painkiller and it does not have the side effects of other drugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Back in my younger days if you smoked enough all day you could certainly get some trippy effects.

Well - don't most life experiences alter the mind in some way in the non hallucinogenic sense?!

Well - don't most life experiences alter the mind in some way in the non hallucinogenic sense?!

Well... I know of some stubborn, toxic people who never learn and never grow so- no? :pac:

But there's a difference between altering your perception or perspective or mood, and taking a hallucinogenic substance that makes you see things that aren't there and alter reality beyond normality involving any or all of the 5 senses. Substances like MDMA, LSD, PCP, mushrooms, Ayahuasca etc. That's a whole other level. Marijuana doesn't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Marijuana doesn't do that.

Not quite true. Scientists recently discovered (a year ago) that people with a mutation in the CHRM3 gene are prone to hallucination after cannabis consumption. I'm pretty sure I've tripped a few times on some seriously strong skunk over the years.

However, because it's still illegal here, I can't say for definite if it's because of the mutation (if I have it) or because the weed was laced with something. But science says that yes, some people can hallucinate on cannabis.

Here's the link. Basically, the CHRM3 gene is to do with REM sleep, and they believe the cannabis activates the mutation which causes people to 'remember' and 'experience' dreams while stoned (due to serotonin and dopamine releases). And that gene also works with other genes which have been known to cause hallucinations. Early days, but the evidence appears to be there.

Not quite true. Scientists recently discovered (a year ago) that people with a mutation in the CHRM3 gene are prone to hallucination after cannabis consumption. I'm pretty sure I've tripped a few times on some seriously strong skunk over the years.

However, because it's still illegal here, I can't say for definite if it's because of the mutation (if I have it) or because the weed was laced with something. But science says that yes, some people can hallucinate on cannabis.

Here's the link. Basically, the CHRM3 gene is to do with REM sleep, and they believe the cannabis activates the mutation which causes people to 'remember' and 'experience' dreams while stoned (due to serotonin and dopamine releases). And that gene also works with other genes which have been known to cause hallucinations. Early days, but the evidence appears to be there.

Fair enough, but I still wouldnt class it as a mind altering drug along the lines of psychedelics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,936 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fair enough, but I still wouldnt class it as a mind altering drug along the lines of psychedelics.

Many years ago at a party I had a brownie.
    It was strong.
    I was convinced I was tripping - distorted visuals and all. I've never experienced anything like it before or since but I was reliably informed that there was nothing but weed in the brownies.

Advertisement