Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Contractor query - Self Build

Options
  • 28-07-2020 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Myself and my husband are 10 months into a 12-14 month self build. We have a main contractor doing all the works. He is excellent and overall we are very happy. However, I have some queries and wondered am I am being unreasonable? The construction and electrics are all completed and the building is currently being skimmed. I have asked the builder for a key or at least some access to the site as I would like to go in and see the house as well as take some measurements for ordering furniture etc. He has completely ignored several messages for the key (has answered other queries). Understandably he didnt want anyone on site earlier in the process when he wasn't there due to H&S risks with scaffolding etc. But we are now past that stage and there is no actual construction happening. I have also asked him on several occasions for a list of the overruns and the costs (I did approve the necessary changes which were essential due to renovating the old part of the house) but I would like to know the cost of the total overruns so that we can have the finance in place for when the time comes to pay. Again, this request has been ignored and no explanation given to why. I have asked the architect and he told me that overruns are nothing to do with him. Does anyone have any experience of knowledge of the above? Am I asking for something that I shouldnt have? Tia

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes you are asking for something you shouldn’t have in my opinion.
    It’s still a construction site.
    COVID 19 is still active.

It’s very reasonable and quite professional of the builder not to allow you have a key and access the house whenever without his control especially with regards to workers that may be entering the site the day or an hour after you (C19).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

In writing to the arch and builder:

Arrange a site visit with builder and architect - take required photos and measurements in their company.
    As part of visit, request meeting and set agenda Including over runs - request builders Qs is in attendance. Request arch records Meeting minutes/ actions and timelines to close open actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Deeec

Of course you should have a key to your house. We built our own house and always had our own access. We used to go in the evenings and weekends to inspect the house - this is really crucial to ensure the build is going to plan - I would worry that there is issues in the house he doesnt want you to see. Covid is not an excuse to not give you a key. You need to demand a key - it is your house.

It sounds like you are getting to the exciting stage of measuring for furniture, blinds etc - you need to be able to have time on your own in the house to plan this with no builder looking at his watch.

Deeec wrote: »
    Of course you should have a key to your house. We built our own house and always had our own access. We used to go in the evenings and weekends to inspect the house - this is really crucial to ensure the build is going to plan - I would worry that there is issues in the house he doesnt want you to see. Covid is not an excuse to not give you a key. You need to demand a key - it is your house.

It sounds like you are getting to the exciting stage of measuring for furniture, blinds etc - you need to be able to have time on your own in the house to plan this with no builder looking at his watch.

Contractually the OP has NO right to a key. You’re right though, Covid is no excuse, no excuse Is needed, it’s the builders site Until handed over on completion.

Brian you very well could be right. I thought a self build was different though. I live rurally so all my friends and family have built their own houses - none had this issue - all had access to the house whenever they wanted.. I think it is crucial for the self builder to have access. I know when we were building we found several issues which needed to be put right. If we hadn't being visiting the site after work we wouldn't have found these and it would have been realised too late to put right.

• Advertisement

Deeec wrote: »
    Brian you very well could be right. I thought a self build was different though. I live rurally so all my friends and family have built their own houses - none had this issue - all had access to the house whenever they wanted.. I think it is crucial for the self builder to have access. I know when we were building we found several issues which needed to be put right. If we hadn't being visiting the site after work we wouldn't have found these and it would have been realised too late to put right.

Nobody said the OP can’t visit the site.

‘Self building‘ with main contractor V self-building Where one hires individual trades Are two different things.

BryanF wrote: »
    Nobody said the OP can’t visit the site.

‘Self building‘ with main contractor V self-building Where one hires individual trades Are two different things.

Im not disagreeing with you - Im just saying the situation would be unusual. I too had a main contractor. I was given keys though when the doors were fitted. Having a quick look around when the builder is there is completely different to having a look around when there is no tradespeople there. We would have tested painted colours, measured for blinds etc at the weekend. From what you are saying the op can only do this in the presence of the builder. Im guessing he will have no interest in being there at the weekend or evenings to faciliate the OP.

My brother and best friend have both just finished their houses just before last christmas. Both had main contractors. Both always had access to their houses

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

This all seems very over the top to me, never heard the likes of it. For a housing estate perhaps or a commercial build, but for a private one-off house, I've never heard of this happen.

I moved into my new build a few weeks ago. Built by a contractor, but some finishing works are still ongoing. There was never a question that I didn't have a key, in fact it was me that took the keys from the windows/doors installer and I gave the builder access from then on. I was on the site myself nearly every day. No issue. We had a fairly relaxed, informal relationship with the contractor though, he knew us (prior to the build) which undoubtedly made the whole thing more relaxed.

I often get the impression in this particular sub forum that different rules and attitudes apply in Dublin than everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kellea

Thank you for your replies. I understand the H&S element but I also think it is unnecessary. I would be semi satisfied with an direct response from the contractor on the issue but not giving me any answer is not helping the situation. In terms of the over runs, this makes no sense as surely he would have the costings to date. Anyway thank you all again for your feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭dubrov

Very strange. You should have your own key particularly at this stage of the build.

Just ring the builder so he can't avoid you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭little man disorder

Must depend on the builder, 10 months into a build also and we would be onsite everyday and have the keys. When the builder comes ringing for money, that's when you hit them to have x completed before you will pay them and you should get your access and your costings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Go to site late in the afternoon and stay there till the trades are gone.
    Saw numerous houses where the builder kept pushing ahead and taking shortcuts that won't be seen, no attic insulationn in a roof void(closed in) no rockwool in wall, underfloor pipe joints that are covered over, all these things add up, and if you can't see it then he will get away with it.
    Your paying him so you tell him you want the key and you will give him a copy later on. He works for you.

Advertisement