Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to switch from 3: Any suggestions?

Options
  • 28-07-2020 11:39am

I have recently contacted 3 over several issues and their customer service has deteriorated. When i contact them, I am always put through to an Indian and I have found on the internet that they could have moved their customer service to Mumbai. (I have to say here that I am African and not being racist on this issue, just an unhappy customer).

The problem with this that they never seem to understand the issue i raise with them especially when it relates to something that has changed. They only tell me that they dont offer what i asking for and that what i am experiencing is the only service they provide.

I believe that customer service is supposed to be there to provide support to customers and guide them through change, but they tend to disregard the fact that this is new for me and don't even give you proper info on the new change.

When i first moved to Ireland in 2016 even right up to 2018 when i last had to contact customer care, the customer service used to be based in Ireland or maybe the UK and so they would have been users of the network or at least understand the new changes. They were always helpful to me.

Please can anyone tell me their experience with virgin mobile or eir as I am considering switching to them by next month.

Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It really depends what you want,
    Do you want sim only, do you want promotional offers?

I've been with Three on and off since 2006, also been with Vodafone, Virgin and currently with GoMo.
    With all of them you'll find people have had nightmare experiences, even got GoMo some people have had awful problems but for the low, low price I can't personally fault them.

I would be looking for a reliable and affordable plan. I have been with 3 for 4 years now.
    Have been using the 20€ all you can eat data and they have just changed it even though they didn't announce to customers of the upgrade and their customer service will not be decent enough to acknowledge the change.
    I will be looking for a good and affordable option for pay as you go for myself if you have any suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I've just switched from Three due to an ongoing issue which their customer service have been worse than useless with.

Went with 48 which ironically, although now owned by Three, seem to have much better support.

But eir have by far the worst customer support in any industry.
    They own Gomo, and based on my previous experience with Meteor after eir took them over, I wouldn't go near Gomo.

Never had any real problems with Tesco Mobile except the weren't 4G when I was with them (think they are now?)
    Only ever had one real issue with Vodafone, but they're not great value for money.

Lycamobile would probably be the other option.

So it probably comes down to 48, Lyca, or Gomo, and if you think Three are bad I'd stay away from Gomo or anything related to eir.
    Think they're all around 10/15 quid for calls/texts/reasonable amount of data.

I've found 48 fine so far, I had one support question before I signed up that went back and forth a couple of times and they were fairly quick about responding, which was a nice change. If you sign up they'll send you a trial SIM with a gig of data so you can test coverage before you switch over (no calls/texts though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

I am running 5 gomo sims at present. With the understanding they are the Ryanair of telecoms, they work, and they are cheap. 4 at 9.99 each and one at 12.99.

If that is ok for your needs, get GOMO

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

The customer service at eir is questionable and that's putting it mildly.. I was with tesco mobile and paid nothing using the tesco clubcard vouchers ( where €5 vouchers =€15 phone credit by boost) you got 10k mins plus 15gb data a month. I got sick of topping up the phone. Tesco have very helpful call centre.

Left Tessco mobile Last January to go mo ( eir subsidiary) and I get unlimitrd calls, texts and 80gb per month for €9.99. This was subsequently increased to ~€13 for new customers. Fantastic value. Never looked back.

If you want value for money then I suggest GO MO. No need to top up with go mo. Itemized Bill's are also provided online. Only negative is all customer services are provided online. No physical phone shops.

Tip: If you make a lot of international calls Tesco Mobile may be better value for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

MOH wrote: »
    I've just switched from Three due to an ongoing issue which their customer service have been worse than useless with.

Went with 48 which ironically, although now owned by Three, seem to have much better support.

But eir have by far the worst customer support in any industry.
    They own Gomo, and based on my previous experience with Meteor after eir took them over, I wouldn't go near Gomo.

Never had any real problems with Tesco Mobile except the weren't 4G when I was with them (think they are now?)
    Only ever had one real issue with Vodafone, but they're not great value for money.

Lycamobile would probably be the other option.

So it probably comes down to 48, Lyca, or Gomo, and if you think Three are bad I'd stay away from Gomo or anything related to eir.
    Think they're all around 10/15 quid for calls/texts/reasonable amount of data.

I've found 48 fine so far, I had one support question before I signed up that went back and forth a couple of times and they were fairly quick about responding, which was a nice change. If you sign up they'll send you a trial SIM with a gig of data so you can test coverage before you switch over (no calls/texts though).

You're wrong about GO MO. I'm with them and they're quite good and I'm the first to complain.

I had my broadband with eir and it was a disaster trying to cancel it, kept waiting hours on phone to their call centre speaking to an automaton.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

emulsifier wrote: »
    Have been using the 20€ all you can eat data and they have just changed it even though they didn't announce to customers of the upgrade and their customer service will not be decent enough to acknowledge the change.

I must have missed this; what did Three change with their all you can eat 20e plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    You're wrong about GO MO. I'm with them and they're quite good and I'm the first to complain.

Fair enough, but based on previous issues with Eir and Meteor I still wouldn't give money on principle to any company connected to Eir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

MOH wrote: »
    Fair enough, but based on previous issues with Eir and Meteor I still wouldn't give money on principle to any company connected to Eir.
    They are like Ryanair. Cheap and cheerful. But dont expect any support. They do have some on the chat, but quality is variable. I had an data connection issue at the start with 1 sim out of 5. I got a guy to think outside the box and not a bother since. Would not go with anyone else.

Advertisement