Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connection dropping TPlink RE450

• 28-07-2020 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Anyone have any experience getting this thing to work? I bought it as the connection to my back bedroom where my desk is, is weak.

I configured the wifi extender originally to use the same wifi name as i figured that would be easier, but just caused nightmares when both the wifi and the extender would try and connect to the device downstairs.

I've separated the wifi names now so the extender uses its own SSID but the connection keeps intermittently dropping which is playing havoc with the work VPN.

Has anyone managed to configure these things correctly yet can offer some advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

TPlink RE450 uses 5GHz WiFi as backbone.
    Once connected with an existing router, you can take RE450 anywhere within the wireless range of the existing router,
    Your WiFi was bad to begin with, nothing to extend if no connection/intermittent. Wrong device for purpose/incorrect setup.
    Briefly looking, there appear to be DHCP server on it - potential cause of network interruptions due to duplicate IP's - should be only one DHCP serving device on network. Manual in case you misplaced it

You could try moving it to adjacent room/hallway, where WiFi is good enough to maintain link to the router and it might extend enough to cover your bedroom.

If you consider your work "mission critical", treat it like-vice, not mickey-mouse on the stretch. Either run Ethernet cable or get yourself proper AP to provide good coverage. Certain, shortly you will receive suggestions to install mesh system, it might help...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

TPLINK app has a location signal which tells you the strength of the WIFI signal, and its flagged as perfect range.

Its no harm in moving it but not sure if thats the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Vicxas wrote: »
    TPLINK app has a location signal which tells you the strength of the WIFI signal, and its flagged as perfect range.

Its no harm in moving it but not sure if thats the issue.
    Moving would be easiest, would you agree...

Advertisement