Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore - Waterford Trailway

Options
  • 28-07-2020 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭

A new group popped up in suggested on my FB.
    What do you make up of all this?

Isn't the primary issue the land ownership and squatting rights for the farmers after so many years of the line left abandoned?

Great idea if this could ever get any traction. Should be safer and calmer than the Tramore Road itself.

The mission of this group is to bring together like-minded people with the aim of creating a Trailway as a public amenity for cycling, walking and running along the old Tramore to Waterford Railway line.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/751927632051042

2.8K members already!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Already being discussed on the Greenway thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Never mind that I think they should reinstate the railway. Apparently it was profitable before the donkeys decided to rip it up years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Murphy2020

It’s an absolute sin the Tramore train line was destroyed. Imagine the business it would get.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

It would be a terrific addition but would the cost justify it being rebuilt?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

The destruction of the railways in Ireland was a major historical mistake. Google a pic of the old Waterford train station and compare it to what they replaced it with ffs!
    The trailway would be a great idea and could be linking in via spur from the greenway. Land ownership would be a major problem IMO. But if you look at the amount of ppl who use the main Tramore Road to run & cycle it definitely would have a lot of potential users.
    Its pie in the sky talk but a Waterford Luas from the town (or even Kilbarry) to Tramore would be amazing. Park + ride possibilities too. Puts me in mind of that episode of The Simpsons : Marge vs the Monorail :pac::pac: .....
    " The name's Lanley. Lyle Lanley. And I come before you good people tonight with an idea. Probably the greatest... Aw, it's not for you. It's more of a Shelbyville idea.
    In our case for Shelbyville substitute in Galway/Limerick/Wexford/Kilkenny :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,389 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The destruction of the railways in Ireland was a major historical mistake. Google a pic of the old Waterford train station and compare it to what they replaced it with ffs!
    The trailway would be a great idea and could be linking in via spur from the greenway. Land ownership would be a major problem IMO. But if you look at the amount of ppl who use the main Tramore Road to run & cycle it definitely would have a lot of potential users.
    Its pie in the sky talk but a Waterford Luas from the town (or even Kilbarry) to Tramore would be amazing. Park + ride possibilities too. Puts me in mind of that episode of The Simpsons : Marge vs the Monorail :pac::pac: .....
    " The name's Lanley. Lyle Lanley. And I come before you good people tonight with an idea. Probably the greatest... Aw, it's not for you. It's more of a Shelbyville idea.
    In our case for Shelbyville substitute in Galway/Limerick/Wexford/Kilkenny :D

or to put it politely, it was the greatest historic fcuk up, we would have had an incredible network now

Worth pointing out the unique feature of the Waterford to Tramore line was that is was not part of the network, though there was a rather ambitious idea to link it with a massive loop that would bring it to the the Dungarvan line. Others plans were for links to Dunmore and Passage obviously had that ever happened it would be an amazing little local network - which CIE would later close and lift

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Emanine

If you feel strongly about it, you should suggest it to the Council via the new Development Plan. There is a link on their website to make a submission.

Ha! If you look carefully at the last item on the "things to do list" in .1 point type you'll see "Build a railway to Tramore" :D Of all the things to spent millions on this is the least important by some distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Ha! If you look carefully at the last item on the "things to do list" in .1 point type you'll see "Build a railway to Tramore" :D Of all the things to spent millions on this is the least important by some distance.

I'm sure the same thing was said with regards to the Greenway long before it came to fruition. And look what happened when it was planned, funded, developed and fully realised... probably the best piece of infrastructure the county has had in a century (and I include the motorway/new bridge in this!). In terms of bringing tourists and shining a very different light on our little part of the country it has been immense. Its the best greenway in the country. And it is being extended.
    So in response to your reply above if the WCCC rolled the dice again and funded this coastal greenway it could expect similar plaudits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

The section from tramore to ballynock and balindud into the city looks to be no problem at all by the looks of Google earth as the road and track both run parallel with eachother. The land between ballynock and balindud that goes out the back of Katie Reilly's and over the old bridge looks to be the barrier with farmers and land.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

The Tramore bus service covers all of Tramore but I could only imagine the

novelty of the train wearing off if travellers had to walk to their residences.

Especially during inclement weather. A lovely dream but nothing more!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MoashoaM

I don't think a fun-train would ever seriously compete with the bus for commuter traffic.

A revival of the line would never replace what was stolen 60 years ago. That community is dead, the unbroken history and their pride with it. A great little railway it was. My ancestors worked on the line from as early as the 1880s till closure, on the Tramore end.

I'd still support any effort to revive it even as a trailway. It's been a shame to watch the permanent way be carved up and filled in on the Tramore end. That railway square complex in Waterford is tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

MoashoaM wrote: »
    I'd still support any effort to revive it even as a trailway.

That's what this thread is about, so I presume when you said I would, you meant I do.

There's no lobbying for the railway line to be reinstated AFAIK, although this thread has somehow been derailed by ferroequinological fantasies...

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

That's what this thread is about, so I presume when you said I would, you meant I do.

There's no lobbying for the railway line to be reinstated AFAIK, although this thread has somehow been derailed by ferroequinological fantasies...

What a great word! Hand's up who didn't have to look it up? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,389 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i cant even pronounce it!

This springs to mind!

image006.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Not me, I googled train enthusiast to find out what the technical name was! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

As in 'iron horse'?
    ferrum for iron?
    equine for horse?

But don't ask me to spell it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MoashoaM

I suppose I would say that I do, ye.

• Advertisement
Advertisement