Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for PC

Options
  • 28-07-2020 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

I'm on the hunt for a home PC. I'm usually apple product based so I'm a bit clueless as to what to get.

I've 2 young kids who'll want to 'play' with it too so I'm hoping for recommendations on what to get?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The best thing would be to buy the parts yourself and get someone you know to build it. Almost everything clips into place.

Then you can have exactly what you want in it, for example (if needed) a DVD drive/extra USB slots and it will work out much cheaper than in the shops. Plus you can avoid all the bloatware the pre-made PCs come with.

Or give someone a budget and let them suggest what to get for your price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭gestappo

spurious wrote: »
    The best thing would be to buy the parts yourself and get someone you know to build it. Almost everything clips into place.

Then you can have exactly what you want in it, for example (if needed) a DVD drive/extra USB slots and it will work out much cheaper than in the shops. Plus you can avoid all the bloatware the pre-made PCs come with.

Or give someone a budget and let them suggest what to get for your price range.

I'm not technical minded and wouldn't know anyone who could build one for me.

Budget wise would be €600 max

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

What will you be using it for yourself and what games will the kids play on it do you know? Would it just be typical fortnite stuff or more demanding games? Would be able to build yourself or would it have to be prebuilt? I would highly recommend considering building yourself and getting your kids to do it with you. It's a great learning experience and may well develop into a bit of a hobby. It's not that hard and with a good YouTube video and some reading over the manuals you'd be grand. Here's a bit of a list of parts I threw together there but KO Kiki may come up with a better list.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/84MFvW

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£128.49 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard (£89.99 @ AWD-IT)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (£67.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£58.33 @ CCL Computers)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 570 8 GB Video Card (£124.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case (£46.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: be quiet! System Power 9 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£47.33 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £564.10

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Total: £564.10

Yeah, but that's sterling, no shipping included and no screen, mouse, keyboard, no Windows 10 licence, no speakers.

Probably over a decade ago I used these guys, glad to say they're still in business.
    https://www.palicomp.co.uk/

But prices add up as you add the extra options from the base model eg. starts at Gb£349 here
    https://www.palicomp.co.uk/amd-gaming-pcs

But Gb£349 quickly turned to Gb£691 plus shipping when you add 16Gb ram, £160 for a graphics card (RX 570 8Gb), 22" monitor, keyboard and mouse, monitor cable...

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Just assumed 600 quid was for just the tower. If its for the whole setup then he'd have to go with like a 3400G or see what 4000 series APUs bring. £564 pounds works out at about 622 euro. If he wanted I spose he could drop to an A320 motherboard which would drop the price by 30/40 quid and then use that to cover whatever shipping isn't free. Only thing is that then he'd wouldn't be able to utilize NVME SSD so he'd have to go SATA. There's some cheaper B450's out there but IDK how good there are you might have a better idea yourself. Most of the stuff can be had from Amazon for around the same price as CCL and the AWD-IT crew. It said prime shipping free but I would've thought it'd all be free shipping if he bought them together. But if the kids are just playing minecraft and that sorta craic then the APU would suffice. Other alternative is to get a second hand office PC setup and stick in a GPU

• Advertisement
Advertisement