Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The war on drugs

Options
  • 28-07-2020 4:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Nothing recently has happened regarding the war on drugs but it's been an ongoing issue especially with the Gardai Commissioner saying that people who take coke are fueling gangland crime.

Anecdotally, I know that coke is increasing in usage in Ireland. Not even among my generation (20s) but among people in their 40s-50s. I imagine that in 20 years time, the attitudes may shift and it'll be regarded as harmeless as weed.

Is the only solution legalisation? Critics say (and perhaps rightfully so) that alcohol and cigarettes are perfectly legal and yet still wreck harm on society. Do we need to gamble with weed, coke, ecstasy?

But there's an argument to be made that legalisation will take it out of the hands of criminals. Drug dealers in some states in the US where cannabis is legal and in Canada are switching to a different product.

Legalisation would also bring untold amounts of revenue from tax which might help this country.

What should we do?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Make Poverty History, Cheaper Drugs Now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Drugs is an age old problem you will never win the war on drugs.
    You either need to legalize it, or heavy steep sentencing.
    Personally cannabis should now be grown and sold within Ireleland. I dont myself take canabis of any other ilgeal drug.
    For Coke again make it legal or if your caught with coke a automatic criminal conviction and 5 year minimum prison sentance.
    This is for the people who buy drugs this is not the dealers. Make the buyers more accountable name them shame them.

legalize or steep sentencing

The war on drugs is and has always been a waste of time, money, other resources and lives.

Cocaine is not harmless..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Nothing recently has happened regarding the war on drugs but it's been an ongoing issue especially with the Gardai Commissioner saying that people who take coke are fueling gangland crime.

Anecdotally, I know that coke is increasing in usage in Ireland. Not even among my generation (20s) but among people in their 40s-50s. I imagine that in 20 years time, the attitudes may shift and it'll be regarded as harmeless as weed.

Is the only solution legalisation? Critics say (and perhaps rightfully so) that alcohol and cigarettes are perfectly legal and yet still wreck harm on society. Do we need to gamble with weed, coke, ecstasy?

But there's an argument to be made that legalisation will take it out of the hands of criminals. Drug dealers in some states in the US where cannabis is legal and in Canada are switching to a different product.

Legalisation would also bring untold amounts of revenue from tax which might help this country.

What should we do?

Legalise most of it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Cocaine is not harmless..

South Americans chewed the coca plant for thousands of years and suffered no effects from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Drugs are designed to keep the average person in society down, and prevent them from reaching their true potential.

The people who run this world, want the rest of us to have minds so utterly polluted with intoxicants that we cannot fully control our thoughts or our life!

But the average Joe on the street cannot see this. They are easily bought and sold by the promise of a quick high... without realising that this short term pleasure, comes at a long term cost.

Drugs do not enhance your life - they dull your senses and make you a prisoner of artificial experiences!

South Americans chewed the coca plant for thousands of years and suffered no effects from it.

Yeah.. that's not really cocaine though.. cocaine ruins people..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Guy rammed up against a wall by a car in our area, apparently over drugs. Sick of it.

Money issues in the drugs trade turn into violent issues as no recourse to the law.

Legalize the lot yesterday.

Yeah.. that's not really cocaine though.. cocaine ruins people..

Alcohol ruins a lot of people too but so did prohibition. Some people take cocaine recreationally and stop. Certainly not harmless but is it really for us to decide what people are allowed to consume?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 JoeBagga

It's tough to have a "war on drugs" when we've got huge legislation pushing for open-use of certain drugs. Look at marijuana stocks and how much they've begun bouncing recently thanks to proposed recreational legalization.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Money or peoples lives and health hhmmmmm??? toughy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Nothing recently has happened regarding the war on drugs

Then maybe it's not one for a Current Affairs forum?

Your experience is the same as mine though. Everyone and their dog seems to be doing coke these days. All the people I know seem to have it together as well, decent jobs, finances in order, meeting their obligations.

I tried the stuff once and the taste in the back of my throat after sniffing was enough to put me off for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Difficult to win the war on drugs.

Especially if the other side is full of lads coked off their boxes. Mad for fighting so they do be

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The war on drugs is over.

Drugs won.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Drugs are designed to keep the average person in society down, and prevent them from reaching their true potential.

The people who run this world, want the rest of us to have minds so utterly polluted with intoxicants that we cannot fully control our thoughts or our life!

But the average Joe on the street cannot see this. They are easily bought and sold by the promise of a quick high... without realising that this short term pleasure, comes at a long term cost.

Drugs do not enhance your life - they dull your senses and make you a prisoner of artificial experiences!
    You need to find the right drugs!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Go into most pubs, locals and on a Friday / Saturday / Sunday night xx people are doing coke... kids up to 50 + year olds...

My own local, a really nice, well run and strict pub started to get the odd half a head sniffer... they’d ware out their welcome in less salubrious establishments shall we say in the area and pitch up in our place as a last resort..… but with their behavior they stood out like a sore thumb and barred within no time... ended up with extra security on Thursday onwards and in a couple of months nipped in the bud...barred...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Alien Haze

It's the Prohibition of drugs that's fueling gangland crime, same happened in the U.S during the Prohibition of alcohol.
    Alcohol is legal now, is it the perfert solution, no!
    But it's a hell of a lot better than it was during the Prohibition of alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Alien Haze wrote: »
    It's the Prohibition of drugs that's fueling gangland crime, same happened in the U.S during the Prohibition of alcohol.
    Alcohol is legal now, is it the perfert solution, no!
    But it's a hell of a lot better than it was during the Prohibition of alcohol.

Criminals will be criminals, they choose this life, easy money, fast money, tax free on their terms..

If cocaine, heroin and cannabis were available in your local Pure or Boots pharmacy or any other dispensary...

They’ll still sell it, just cheaper.. they do it to make a buck. Not for any moral reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

Strumms wrote: »
    Criminals will be criminals, they choose this life, easy money, fast money, tax free on their terms..

If cocaine, heroin and cannabis were available in your local Pure or Boots pharmacy or any other dispensary...

They’ll still sell it, just cheaper.. they do it to make a buck. Not for any moral reason.

Thats... not how it works mate. Jesus christ.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »

Truth! Gangs in my area always trying to sell me half price homebrew pints and elderberry wine. Oh no, hold on, that never happens..?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

We’re better though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

sligojoek wrote: »
    The war on drugs is over.

Drugs won.

Good ol' drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Critics say (and perhaps rightfully so) that alcohol and cigarettes are perfectly legal and yet still wreck harm on society. Do we need to gamble with weed, coke, ecstasy?

This always gets brought up in this debate.
    Alcohol and cigarettes are legal because they are ingrained in society. If they were just invented now they woudlnt be rushing to set them up with their own sections in shops and opening establishments just to consume them.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

The Beatles and Rolling Stones took drugs, did they not reach their true potential?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

mick087 wrote: »
    Drugs is an age old problem you will never win the war on drugs.
    You either need to legalize it, or heavy steep sentencing.
    Personally cannabis should now be grown and sold within Ireleland. I dont myself take canabis of any other ilgeal drug.
    For Coke again make it legal or if your caught with coke a automatic criminal conviction and 5 year minimum prison sentance.
    This is for the people who buy drugs this is not the dealers. Make the buyers more accountable name them shame them.

legalize or steep sentencing

We don't have nor can we afford enough prison space to give custodial sentences to drug users. In some Asian countries they have the death penalty for drug dealing but that doesn't stop it happening there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    Truth! Gangs in my area always trying to sell me half price homebrew pints and elderberry wine. Oh no, hold on, that never happens..?

They're not exactly cornering the market on alcohol sales now are they?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Advertisement