Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road legal dirt bike ??

Options
  • 28-07-2020 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi
    I’m from the UK and I’m moving to Ireland in September. I’m wondering what way the laws are for motorcycles over there is it the same as the UK where you can get day/night mot so you can drive dirt bikes on the road. I currently drive a yz250 dirt bike which I converted to street legal with lights speedometer and supermoto wheels
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

You'll be pleased to know that there are no MOTs for motorbikes here.
    As long as you have the V5 for it you would need to VRT it (to convert it to Irish reg). You need to make the booking for a VRT within 7 days of the bike entering the country and VRT it within 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You'll be pleased to know that there are no MOTs for motorbikes here.
    As long as you have the V5 for it you would need to VRT it (to convert it to Irish reg). You need to make the booking for a VRT within 7 days of the bike entering the country and VRT it within 30 days.

And the good news if you've owned it for >6 months the VRT is zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ukbiker123

Del2005 wrote: »
    And the good news if you've owned it for >6 months the VRT is zero.

That’s great news but will my bike be legal in Ireland as it’s registered as a motor cross that has been converted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Ukbiker123 wrote: »
    That’s great news but will my bike be legal in Ireland as it’s registered as a motor cross that has been converted

Yeah it will be. If it has a full V5C & identifiable VIN, it can be registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ukbiker123

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Yeah it will be. If it has a full V5C & identifiable VIN, it can be registered.

Thanks very much, much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

The bad news is you won't find any legal greenway/byway network for vehicles such as in the UK - or Eng and Wales at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Hi
    I’m from the UK and I’m moving to Ireland in September. I’m wondering what way the laws are for motorcycles over there is it the same as the UK where you can get day/night mot so you can drive dirt bikes on the road. I currently drive a yz250 dirt bike which I converted to street legal with lights speedometer and supermoto wheels
    Thanks

Your bike has to have an odometer here to register it - no odo, no reg. Lots of posts on here about that.

Also I'm quite sure yours has more than 6k kms on yours to avoid any VAT issue.......;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

If you're importing as part of a change of residence the mileage on the 'bike isn't relevant.
    But you must have owned it for 6 months (or is it 12months?) in UK and if you sell it here within 6 (or 12months?) import duties/VRT must be paid.
    The gov.ie site is fairly clear about the details. Best to check there.
    In my experience there wasn't even an inspection of the bike. Just a visit to the local tax office for form-filling and checking proof of residence. That may have changed of course.
    It wasn't even necessary to pay the year's road tax on the spot.

OP here y'are:
    "Transfer of Residence" link Revenue site not gov.ie
    It's 6months ownership abroad and if sold in IRL within 12months VRT must be paid.
    I didn't see mention of an inspection but I can say for certain it's not a requirement these days.

You can use the bike for a certain period on UK plates but expect insurance complications.
    See also Temporary Exemption if it's not a permanent move. Maybe living in a vassal state of the EU will be intolerable.

One other comment..
    When registering it I wouldn't mention dirt/off-road bike or road-legal modifications. If a clerk thinks "scrambler" they might reach for the hidden alarm button.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Not just ownership, don't forget the "use" bit as well. The Revenue love to see an insurance cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Depending on where you VRT the bike you may be required to demonstrate working indicators (indicators are 1 difference between UK and Irish requirements). I would trailer it or bring it in van.

Took me 3 visits and 2 different VRT centres to clear KTM EXC 200. Hope it goes well for you.

Depending on where you VRT the bike you may be required to demonstrate working indicators (indicators are 1 difference between UK and Irish requirements). I would trailer it or bring it in van.

Took me 3 visits and 2 different VRT centres to clear KTM EXC 200. Hope it goes well for you.

Wow, you have been unlucky.
    I've imported loads of KTM EXCs and never had an issue with (or without) indicators.
    Tralee...on a Friday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 beanns

Hi there, did u get caught for vat because of mileage?? I have a husky 350 with 4100 km 2016 and their looking for €850 vat😡😡😡
    Any info would be much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you have presented it to the VRT its too late, you can either pay the VAT ( under 6000km its classed as a new means of transport) or re-export it.
    Your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭H_Lime

beanns wrote: »
    Hi there, did u get caught for vat because of mileage?? I have a husky 350 with 4100 km 2016 and their looking for €850 vat������
    Any info would be much appreciated

Clock it and present it someplace else, on a Friday...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

H_Lime wrote: »
    Clock it and present it someplace else, on a Friday...

It is already on the system, that won't work afaik.
    I know its that way for cars so I assume its the same for bikes.

Thanks very much, much appreciated

Hi there, im curious to know how you got on with vrt and vat on your dirt bike. Its takes alot of off roading to get above 6000km.. They want €830 vat on a 2016 dirt bike because it has only 4500km up 😡😡😡

CJhaughey wrote: »
    If you have presented it to the VRT its too late, you can either pay the VAT ( under 6000km its classed as a new means of transport) or re-export it.
    Your choice.

Hi there, if i re export it from NI, will i not still get caught for vat because it has only 4500km up kn her

beanns wrote: »
    Hi there, im curious to know how you got on with vrt and vat on your dirt bike. Its takes alot of off roading to get above 6000km.. They want €830 vat on a 2016 dirt bike because it has only 4500km up ������
    You need to temporarily replace your odometer with one showing >6k ;)

Fancy TrailTech digital speedo? I wonder if putting additional trigger(s) on the wheel would rack up the miles faster.
    And recalibrate for a bigger wheel circumference?

Analogue Speedo:
    Do they check operation of speedo? Could use a speedo from any similar model, convincingly sitting in position.
    I have wondered before now if sticking the speedo cable in an elec drill would work. What would Ferris do?
    If you have a drill to sacrifice... I calculate 1500km would take ~33 hours at 500rpm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement