Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for a non Techie.

Options
  • 28-07-2020 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I'm looking at purchasing either a pc or laptop that will handle games like total war Napoleon series etc and perhaps more up to date stuff. Any recommendations? also can I or my family use these for normal everyday use? I Apologise if this is super basic stuff to most of you guys but I'm not great with tech, so easy on the terminology please. I have read through allot of the threads here and to be honest lads I'm more confused then when I started. I do use computers at work and that, email etc but this stuff has me baffled. thanks in advance for anyone with the patience to answer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'd spec for something that can run the newer TW games, at least at modest settings. They're amazing games. You can run everyday stuff on a 'gaming' PC. A toaster will pretty much run Napoleon these days. Let me play with CCL's builder and I'll post something although I may be beaten to it.

You might need to buy software like Windows and Office.

Something like this would be grand and would even run some 'newer' titles than Napoleon but probably not quite the TW:Warhammer games.

I take it build your own is not an option, I reckon there is better value to be had at this price point.

Other people will throw some specs into the mix and might give you some more options in terms of builders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

I'd spec for something that can run the newer TW games, at least at modest settings. They're amazing games. You can run everyday stuff on a 'gaming' PC. A toaster will pretty much run Napoleon these days. Let me play with CCL's builder and I'll post something although I may be beaten to it.

You might need to buy software like Windows and Office.

Something like this would be grand and would even run some 'newer' titles than Napoleon but probably not quite the TW:Warhammer games.

I take it build your own is not an option, I reckon there is better value to be had at this price point.

Thanks Sam, Any help is greatly appreciated.

Your right building it myself would result in allot of broken parts. Back in my day, you would buy a console, plug it in, stick in a game and off you go...

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Your right building it myself would result in allot of broken parts. Back in my day, you would buy a console, plug it in, stick in a game and off you go...

You'd be surprised how easy it actually is these days. The only thing about building yourself for the first time is.... if anything is wrong and the system doesnt boot up you will absolutely **** yourself. XD and probably not have a clue where to start trouble shooting. if its something you actually have an interest in id always say build yourself. As was already stated you'd get a bit more for the money. but there is a hell of alot to be said to the peace of mind to just get a pre built and have it work out of the box. and ofc if there is an issue just send it all back. id steer clear of a laptop unless space is a big issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

What is your budget? These days €600 would buy you a good, solid off-the-shelf Gaming PC from the likes of CCL or AWD IT that would run those sort of games at ultra settings no issue.

• Advertisement

Homelander wrote: »
    What is your budget? These days €600 would buy you a good, solid off-the-shelf Gaming PC from the likes of CCL or AWD IT that would run those sort of games at ultra settings no issue.

Thanks Homelander, I suppose somewhere between 600-800 Range. Do you have to buy all the other stuff like the monitor etc separately?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

You can buy it all together off of ccl (once you click buy on the pc itself they give the option to add peripherals) but I don't know if the stuff they offer is the best value after looking at it briefly there. Lik I saw a 75hz 1080p monitor on the site for about 90 pound but couldn't add it to the chosen PC as a bundle but I'm sure you could more stuff to your basket such as the monitor along with the Pc and get it all delivered for free

Advertisement