Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Income - Should I set up limited company to minimise tax

Options
  • 28-07-2020 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭

I have a full time PAYE job on which I am paying the higher rate of tax.

I have a second source of income from which I have made 25k so far this year.

Would I be better off setting up a limited company for this second income and saving the money for retirement and to put it into a pension scheme.
    I was also thinking of using the money in the company to lease an electric car as the Benefit in kind to me would be zero.

How much would it cost to set up a company and what would the annual costs be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,043 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

to incorporate you're looking at 300-500 roughly.

annual accounts, with ~25k turnover ~1000-1500.

if you are going to put all the profit into a pension, then incorporation makes sense as its alot more tax efficient. you could also do the lease + BIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭kala85

I hope to leave all the money in the company and lease an electric car from it.

would I have to pay any prsi on this ? as I would be getting the use of this car as a director or employee.

If I have no trading next year, how much would the accountancy fees be then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

kala85 wrote: »
    I hope to leave all the money in the company and lease an electric car from it.

would I have to pay any prsi on this ? as I would be getting the use of this car as a director or employee.

If I have no trading next year, how much would the accountancy fees be then.

If you leave the money in the company, there's an additional tax via the close company surcharge. Getting it into a pension, or possibly some other type of investment would avoid this. To pay into a pension, you'll need to pay yourself some sort of salary. Best to get advice from an accountant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭kala85

Is there any good website where I can find out all about this, with all this information.

Is there any other grants that are available for company set ups?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭PhilipJ

kala85 wrote: »
    Is there any good website where I can find out all about this, with all this information.

Is there any other grants that are available for company set ups?

Your best to make an appointment with a reputable accountant, by reading from a website your not availing of the years of experience they have to maximise your gains for the sake of a couple of hundred euros that I assume can be claimed as an expense with your current set up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement