Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Painting Doors and Skirting Question

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

zinnser bin 123 I used to paint over all our varnished skirtings & architraves

then used 1 coat of undercoat and 2 satinwood

some say the undercoat is 1 too many, but on the skirtings I prefer an extra layer cos they get knocked

the undercoat was same colour as satinwood that I got both mixed up

I used fleetwood (french white)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Thanks for the input. I'll be going for the zinnser bin 123 for the adhesive primer.

One other thing. I'll be doing the hall stairs and landing. But it looks as if somebody just paint a layer of peel-able paint on it, they must not of used the right paint or not got it ready before applying it. If i scratch it it peels off then you can see a layer of gloss under that. If i stayed there long even i say i could peeling the whole lot of it off. But that would take a very lone time. If i gave it a slight sand then use the zinnser bin 123 on it, would it be ok to go ahead with painting it then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Sounds like previous "painter" put gloss directly over the previous gloss- without cleaning, undercoating or rubbing down the previous surface to provide a key. Get one of those medium/ coarse sanding sponges and rub down (wet- use a bucket of water, mop up the mess as you go) the woodwork to remove as much of this coating as you can. You will have to try and cut back to the original (sound- well bonded) paint before repainting. Will take some elbow grease but painting over unsound paint is a waste of your labour and money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I replaced our skirting with foil wrapped skirting. No painting required and real easy to keep clean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Frankx

I've a similar problem to above

I sanded and put acrylic primer and 1 coat of satinwood so far

You can scape it back to the varnish, not sure if ok to continue

Does it get more resilient with extra coats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Klopp

Forget the primer, its overkill for indoors, two coats of the Satin will be more than enough on the doors and skirting boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Klopp wrote: »
    Forget the primer, its overkill for indoors, two coats of the Satin will be more than enough on the doors and skirting boards.

Even on previously glossed timber...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Frankx wrote: »
    I've a similar problem to above

I sanded and put acrylic primer and 1 coat of satinwood so far

You can scape it back to the varnish, not sure if ok to continue

Does it get more resilient with extra coats?

What type of acrylic primer did you use?

Advertisement