Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 or 4 core cable from APT timer clock to boiler?

• 28-07-2020 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

So currently we have a warmflow 70/90 boiler from 2004 in our house, it's run off a APT timer in the kitchen,

We are renovating the kitchen and asked the electrician to move the clock to the hallway with the view to replace it for a nest thermostat / hive ect later. The electrician moved the apt timer but mentioned there was a 4 core cable comming from the boiler but the 4th wire was not connected so he just moved it using a 3 core cable.

I opened the boiler and can see the 4 core cable and just the live neutral and earth is used and the 4th wire is not connected to anything. Everything is original from the house being built... So I'm wondering was the 4 core cable fitted by mistake? or was it fitted to future proof incase a different boiler was fitted down the road.

I'm just wondering before I refit the floor boards should I get the electrician to run the 4 cores to the new apt timer location seeing as we are planning to overhaul the 15 year old heating system down the road would we need it for something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

run the 4core

the 4th core Is needed for a frost stat which will require a permanent live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

jimf wrote: »
    run the 4core

the 4th core Is needed for a frost stat which will require a permanent live

Well it’s an indoor boiler isn’t it? So wouldn’t really need a frost stat - however the more cores the better! Many new boilers now require a permanent live supply with a signal to start.

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    Well it’s an indoor boiler isn’t it? So wouldn’t really need a frost stat - however the more cores the better! Many new boilers now require a permanent live supply with a signal to start.

of course your correct if the boiler is inside

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ali-d1936

Hi all thank-you it's a outdoor boiler so for a frost stat must have been what it was for thank you all, I think in the next few years we will upgrade the boiler so I'll run the 4core the thermostat is attached to the boiler, if I wanted to run a internal thermostat would this wire be used for this instead?

the boiler is controlled from the timer 3 cores needed for this live neu and earth

the 4th wire will be a permanent live not run through or controlled by the timer

the thermostat in the boiler is the set run temp usually on warmflow boiler these are numbered 1 to 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ali-d1936

jimf wrote: »
    the boiler is controlled from the timer 3 cores needed for this live neu and earth

the 4th wire will be a permanent live not run through or controlled by the timer

the thermostat in the boiler is the set run temp usually on warmflow boiler these are numbered 1 to 5

Thanks Jim.
    Really appreciate the help I'll get him back to run the 4 cores better do it now before I start screwing the floor back down 😂

Advertisement