Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silent/empty radio frequencies

• 28-07-2020 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if someone could answer a question that has been puzzling me for a while.

I notice that if I do a quick scan of the radio it often stops at a "silent" frequency - there's no static etc, it's just as if the station was transmitting silence - apologies for my level of technical jargon. Is this a reserved frequency, a test one etc?

I'm in west Kerry and get my strongest signals from Cahirciveen and Mullaghanish - occasionally Mám Clasach as I drive around.

The frequencies I've noticed from time to time are 90.4 91.0 98.1 and 104.6

Thanks a million for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I would put it down to some problem with your radio, unless it is happening on more than one radio at the same location? There are transmitters on all of those frequencies, but unlikely to give reception where you are. And they won't be broadcasting silence.

http://www.frequencyfinder.org.uk/FM_Stations.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

:o Now, why didn't I think of that.. I think you're right. All the other radios are preset but this one is a simple thing that has to be scanned now and again. None of those frequencies showed up when I scanned others in the house but I tried the car on a small hill going to Dingle this morning and 2 of them at least - 91 and 104.6 had strong signals - 2fm and Classic hits? The extra elevation brought those in I presume.
    Thanks again -- thought for a while I had discovered some silent network about to break into action :)

Advertisement