Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shelbourne Hotel remove historic statues due to association with slavery - *Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

No black people can be depicted in Ireland, because to do so shows the dominance of whites over blacks : Dr Ebun Joseph

Well that's about as good an argument as I expected from the bigot.
    Perhaps she just wants all images of black women removed from public view?

She specifically said so. The problem wasn't that they were slaves, it's that they are black girls in front of a building that represents white privilege, thereby underlining the subservient position of blacks. The logical conclusion can only be that no depictions of blacks in art is acceptable in Ireland (or perhaps only could be if whites are predominantly removed from the setting).

She also said that they were fetishtic, which is a reasonable mistake given that she probably has never seen them.

'You didn't properly research. You are relying on the words of a phd student' : Ebun to Michael McDowell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

It represents something she says.
    I’d say she’d find telephone poles racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

murpho999 wrote: »
    The fuss over these Shelbourne Statues is crazy. Why can't they be seen as depictions of African beauty and strength?

That's fetishising them now, cant be at that either...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Imagine in my misguided youth Micheal McDowell was the political bogey man, he's actually one of the best we've had. That women is an absolute pox, a taking head for hire in a made up controversy.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

She's hard to listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

murpho999 wrote: »
    No it's not.

She's completely misinformed and getting her facts wrong. She needs to learn about Nelson's Pillar.

But just saying if she doesn't like it then she should go back to her country is just barstool stuff.

The fuss over these Shelbourne Statues is crazy. Why can't they be seen as depictions of African beauty and strength?

If i went to let's say Dubai and didn't agree with their culture i wouldn't just tell them to remove stuff and change their ways i'd just either accept it or move to another country.

It's our culture and she can jog on if she doesn't agree with it. I'm sick to the hens teeth of people of her ilk.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Haha this stupid woman

She’s very racist and should not be giving air time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Tear down the Phil Lynott statue, he's black ffs.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

She could move back to Africa if she doesn't like our culture.
    Threadbanned

No black people can be depicted in Ireland, because to do so shows the dominance of whites over blacks : Dr Ebun Joseph

Well that's about as good an argument as I expected from the bigot.

She specifically said so. The problem wasn't that they were slaves, it's that they are black girls in front of a building that represents white privilege, thereby underlining the subservient position of blacks. The logical conclusion can only be that no depictions of blacks in art is acceptable in Ireland (or perhaps only could be if whites are predominantly removed from the setting).

She also said that they were fetishtic, which is a reasonable mistake given that she probably has never seen them.

'You didn't properly research. You are relying on the words of a phd student' : Ebun to Michael McDowell

Was she asked her view of the Phil lynott statue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Mcdowell questioned on everything he said and the fcukin bimbo gets free reign to spout absolute manure saying and meaning nothing, totally brain dead interview from the interviewer, all i can say is Nigerians IQ collectively increased when she left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

But he's Irish, our black :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

FFS shes ****ing backtracking now " let's not go I to that's when it was pointed out that the might be ankles... idiot the check of her talking about us removing statues and knowing nothing about it rte you arseholes

RTE are worse for entertaining that nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

By right that performance should ensure that we'd never see or hear of that woman again, but there's no hope of that unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

She showed her true colours when she personally attacked him saying he hadn’t done his research and then some nonsense about a phd student.

kravmaga wrote: »
    Michael Mc Dowell talking a lot of sense now about the issue on RTE1 Primetime.

I agree with him , they are Egyptian people ,not slaves.

They should be re-instated forthwith.

And if they are, they are slaves to a Nubian Queen. Who would have a great tan, and resemble and African more so than an person from Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

What in dafuq is going on. Who is this inaudible fcukwit. She's literally nuts. I don't care what they're statues of. I want them down because they're painted black.

Fcuk me this country is circling the drain big time.

She is Dr Ebun Joseph...She is stealing a living, she is utterly clueless and dangerous with her sprouting of lies and mistruths

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Imagine in my misguided youth Micheal McDowell was the political bogey man, he's actually one of the best we've had. That women is an absolute pox, a taking head for hire in a made up controversy.

Indeed, the first half of the programme was about cafe bars. which McDowell promoted, and in the second half he scored some easy scores against truly inept opposition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

God as appalling as she is imagine being a rational intelligent well educated balanced Irish citizen of African or west Indian heritage looking as this idiot apparently representing you , and how lazy and insulting of rte not to even bother trying to find a proper guest to add to any discussion but just constantly wheel out this ghoul....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

jackboy wrote: »
    She showed her true colours when she personally attacked him saying he hadn’t done his research and then some nonsense about a phd student.

Yeah then states that he needs to do his research by talking to an Egyptologist....

...like Im sure she did!

She comes across as an awful character altogether. Jaysis I couldnt be around someone like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

That was uncomfortable to watch.
    I dont think she was the a good candidate for the pannel.
    Was there no better candidate RTE could of got to discus what the issues was.
    I dont think she put a good case at all.

ted1 wrote: »
    Was she asked her view of the Phil lynott statue?

His probably not the correct shade for her bigoted views...I was once called a racist as i criticised her appearance on "The Tonight Show" a few months back...she was sprouting unverified cleches(in the same vein as Trump does)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I blame the hotel spineless managers. A thick as pig**** absolutely snowflake behavior. Should have set the controls to ‘ignore’, and fûck ‘whoever’ doesn’t like it. Hasn’t been an issue for 153 years or so that they’ve stood there.

If I go into said hotel bar in the future and order a Black Russian will I be told to leave that my custom isn’t desired ?

Yes, and he’s holding something too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

mick087 wrote: »
    That was uncomfortable to watch.
    I dont think she was the a good candidate for the pannel.
    Was there no better candidate RTE could of got to discus what the issues was.
    I dont think she put a good case at all.

I think they would have found it extremely difficult to find another black person in Ireland that was actually offended by the statues.

God as appalling as she is imagine being a rational intelligent well educated balanced Irish citizen of African or west Indian heritage looking as this idiot apparently representing you , and how lazy and insulting of rte not to even bother trying to find a proper guest to add to any discussion but just constantly wheel out this ghoul....

She is the only black guest Virgin or RTE ever have which is terrible...

They should have got the family from gogglebox, isn’t the mother a Cllr now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Some people rise in the morning and the day isn't right until they can be offended.
    Well, that woman offended me when she spoke approvingly of the removal of Nelson's Pillar. The Pillar was removed by a bunch of criminals who had no respect for the wishes of the people of Dublin or Ireland. The Pillar would have been legally removed if Dublin people ever wished it so.
    By her accent I take it that that individual was not born in Ireland and therefore perhaps an ignorance of Irish history can be forgiven. What is not appropriate is somebody knowing the history and consequently showing a disregard of legality and democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭stinkypinky

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    She is Dr Ebun Joseph...She is stealing a living, she is utterly clueless and dangerous with her sprouting of lies and mistruths

She's not the only one, there's hundreds if not thousands of her ilk scattered around campus's in the states indoctrinating kids with pseudo science victim courses, was only a matter of time before it began happening here too.

This shíte should have had a leash put on it a decade ago but it's far too late now, it's seeped into pretty much every powerful and important institution.

• Advertisement

feargale wrote: »
    Some people rise in the morning and the day isn't right until they can be offended.
    Well, thatj woman offended me when she spoke approvingly of the removal of Nelson's Pillar. The Pillar was removed by a bunch of criminals who had no respect for the wishes of the people of Dublin or Ireland. The Pillar would have been legally removed if Dublin people ever wished it so.
    By her accent I take it that that individual was not born in Ireland and therefore perhaps an ignorance of Irish history can be forgiven. What is not appropriate is somebody knowing the history and consequently shjowing a disregard of legality and democracy.

100%, well said, we are fast becoming bullied second class citizens in our own country.

Advertisement