Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shelbourne Hotel remove historic statues due to association with slavery - *Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

jackboy wrote: »
    I think they would have found it extremely difficult to find another black person in Ireland that was actually offended by the statues.

Maybe that might be true.

I think she did more harm for he case than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

She's not the only one, there's hundreds if not thousands of her ilk scattered around campus's in the states indoctrinating kids with pseudo science victim courses, was only a matter of time before it began happening here too.

This shíte should have had a leash put on it a decade ago but it's far too late now, it's seeped into pretty much every powerful and important institution.

What does she lecture in? And who are these others like her?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    She is the only black guest Virgin or RTE ever have which is terrible...

She's on the bloody radio too .she must hang around the rte canteen just in case .... her ,vogue williams , nicky Byrne etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I got the distinct feeling she hasn’t a breeze about the details of the bombing of Nelson’s pillar but that didn’t stop her for one second spouting her rubbish.

Poisonous rubbish I might add.

Shame on RTÉ for giving this individual a public platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

https://twitter.com/RuthCoppingerSP/status/1288946190155997185

Coppinger was watching a different interview to me

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    100%, well said, we are fast becoming bullied second class citizens in our own country.

I wonder does she have issues with Hugo Boss, Volks Wagon & Bayer Pharma...All played a role an actual atrocity...

It would be funny if she drove a VW & had a hugo boss jacket :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

mick087 wrote: »
    Maybe that might be true.

I think she did more harm for he case than good.

She completely undermined her position, refusing to entertain the concept that these statues were inert in nature.

Her argument was that they are slaves and that is that. Us "Irish" should be making amends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Missed the very start but who was the appalling interviewer?, constantly interrupting McDowell while giving Ebun a free ride. Reminded me of Tubridy interviewing Peter Casey, you could see her obvious bias and probably afraid of the right on media like the Irish times

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Jesus h christ

Read some of the responses...I'm angry now...No more Twitter tonight

• Advertisement

She's on the bloody radio too .she must hang around the rte canteen just in case .... her ,vogue williams , nicky Byrne etc.....

Vogue & Nicky aren't sprouting dangerous nonsence

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I think my IQ has decreased from reading that tweet. What a load of crap.
    So if a "woman of colour" says anything to a white man he can't say anything back to her?

Ebun Joseph is like a wet dream for any would be far right extremists in this country.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

She completely undermined her position, refusing to entertain the concept that these statues were inert in nature.

Her argument was that they are slaves and that is that. Us "Irish" should be making amends.

I know it's why i say it was uncomfortable.
    There must of been someone who could of put up a better argument.

Then again maybe its a case everyone sees this for what it really is nonsense.

nullzero wrote: »
    I think my IQ has decreased from reading that tweet. What a load of crap.
    So if a "woman of colour" says anything to a white man he can't say anything back to her?

Ebun Joseph is like a wet dream for any would be far right extremists in this country.

Barrett has some recruiting material from Ebun alone

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

A particularly choice quote from Ruth Coppinger's twitter this evening...

"Mansplaining, whitesplaining, poshsplaining...every type of splaining you can think of..."

What an absolute treasure this person is, her and all who vote for her. Not forgetting the would be comedian who tweeted about Irish colonisation of Africa earlier. Modern Ireland, leave you brain at the door, you won't be needing it.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

That was just car crash stuff. McDowell, who I've little time for, showed incredible patience in the face of such baffling bullplop.

nullzero wrote: »
    A particularly choice quote from Ruth Coppinger's twitter this evening...

"Mansplaining, whitesplaining, poshsplaining...every type of splaining you can think of..."

What an absolute treasure this person is, her and all who vote for her. Not forgetting the would be comedian who tweeted about Irish colonisation of Africa earlier. Modern Ireland, leave you brain at the door, you won't be needing it.

Can we have some explaining on what it means...well if the good doctor has damaged herself and coppinger has lost the plot then tonight we have killed 2 birds withe the 1 stone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

This is the kind of stuff you'd expect from Trinity College

Not my beloved alma mater, UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Be right back

Didn't see Prime time but just wondering why Ruth didn't complain about these statues before they were removed?

Coppinger should look into Joseph's background before talking about privileged pillars of establishments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Did that Dr. understand that she was talking to an ex Attorney General when she was spouting about ‘justice’.......

McDowell was ridge on when he asked should we as White people take offense at all the Greek statues displaying white women serving Gods etc. who does she think she representing saying ‘we Irish..... ‘.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Your one on Prime Time isn't doing herself any favours. Comes across as someone who doesn't really know what she's talking about.

No surprise there then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

keano_afc wrote: »
    That was just car crash stuff. McDowell, who I've little time for, showed incredible patience in the face of such baffling bullplop.

It shows how much of a professional he is that he didn't call her a brain dead cnut on national television and storm off set, imagine having been in front of the legal institution all your life and being an elected member of the dail only to be paraded out to be lambasted by some troglodyte earning a living bumming off ucd and rte

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Nearly all slaves in ancient Egypt were men, and they werent manacled either. Coppinger has been watching Django Unchained too many times

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    This is the kind of stuff you'd expect from Trinity College

Not my beloved alma mater, UCD

I know what you mean.

But you should take it as an inspiration. Despite being shackled for the start of his career by the shame of having UCD on his degree, Michael McDowell manged to hide that for long enough to get a decent start and actually overcame those obstacles and learned some things later in life.

It just shows what even UCD graduates can do - even if they can only manage it for one interview at some point in their life.

Never give up hope grasshopper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Coppinger should look into Joseph's background before talking about privileged pillars of establishments.

Why is Coppinger even on RTE? She was rejected by the electorate in the last General Election and failed to get a Seanad consolation prize.

They haven’t gotten the message.

Yesterday’s news.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d say this yoke won't leave it there, there will be more, issues, complaints, wants and bullygirl tactics. You get the sense that she loves her moment of fame on tv,

This clown will flog this for all it's worth. She doesn't give a flying **** about race or discrimination , all these things are just a vehicle for her to postion6 herself and carve out a niche in Ireland.. pure self interest and greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Her PhD thesis would be an interesting read, lol.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

ted1 wrote: »
    Was she asked her view of the Phil lynott statue?

She hasn't mentioned him much. He was male, half white, born to an Irish mother, grew up in Dublin, and was incredibly successful, so none of this would be relevant or useful to her.

I took a look at some of the things that Ebun considers to be racist:
    • Saying that race is a social construct
    • Saying that immigrants should integrate (specifically the term 'melting-pot' is racist)
    • Saying that you do not want to see the differences between races
    • Saying that you do see differences between races and you determine that whites are superior (she actually has a point on that one)
    • Being happy with the status quo (if you are White)
    • Being uncomfortable talking about race (because the Whites get all red all over)

There are only racists or anti-racists. 'If you say you are not a racist, you are a racist'
    Beasty wrote: »
    Threadbanned

To be fair, she can. There is freedom of movement and she has dual citizenship. She didn't come here as a refugee (or at least her citizenship isn't predicated on it). She has clearly shown she does not like the fact that Ireland is predominantly white. She doesn't appear to have the slightest interest in Irish culture or history. Her entire career is talking about her race. She claims that integration is difficult, but she has demonstrated no interest in integrating, nay, she makes her career exclusively by othering herself.

She spent most of her life in Nigeria, and was very successful there. She has multiple plaudits. She never introduces herself without mentioning the fact that she has a doctorate. She can go and work anywhere she likes, any time she likes.

If an America moved to Japan and made a living saying how much they hated Japan, I would advise them to return to America, or at least move to a country they didn't hate so much. If the American didn't return because they were making a living talking about American culture in a setting which did not provide any criticism in their skill or authority to talk about American culture I'd have even greater contempt, as I do in this case.

'Asian people should confront how they are on top in Asian countries.'

Try that as a thesis in any Asian country and see how well that goes down. Let's see how well coining a term like 'Asian fragility' as a rebuttal goes down.

Advertisement