Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shelbourne Hotel remove historic statues due to association with slavery - *Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

TheCitizen wrote: »
    :pac: Oh right, so we should keep all the monuments to slave drivers and racially motivated depictions of people in place and instead shut down Roman and Greek and Egyptian and other historical sites just cos a lot of Rightists can't handle a bit of progress. Pathetic.

Im saying be consistent and apply it to all. Surely the Colosseum known worldwide to be the venue of slavery, privilege and exploitation is just as bad as statues of black women in front of a Dublin hotel. Or are double standards the dish of the day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

All out stereotyping and racial tropes on display on these pages now. Disgusting.

You are against stereotyping? You say that when you look at her you don't see her color, you don't see that she is different?

You are getting red all over, all over your skin TheCitizen, but the first thing you have to do is see your racism. The fact that you don't see difference is your racism, is your unconscious bias. You say you don't see any difference, well that is because you are superior, you are coming from a position of supremacy. Of course there is a difference. She experiences that difference every day: and you say there is no difference, that her race doesn't matter? And you react badly to that. This makes you uncomfortable. That is your white fragility. So the first thing is to admit it. You say you are not a racist The Citizen, but that is the biggest weapon, the biggest weapon that racism has. You have to admit you are racist, and then you can start to not be part of the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

All out stereotyping and racial tropes on display on these pages now. Disgusting.

Calling out a freeloading grifter is a racial trope? Do you ever get tired of spouting tripe like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Course there's a difference. Roman ruins are all over Europe. Exploring the sites and learning of the history does not mean celebrating the barbarism that was also part and parcel of human life thousands of years ago. That's totally different than erecting monuments to historical figures that profited from slavery or monuments that perhaps depict people of certain race in a stereotypical or racist fashion.

A bad sign that that needs to spelled out to you and that the shrill cacophony of the whining Right wingers on here is unduly muddying opinion on these pages.

Absolute nonsense, you are a massive part of the problem.
    Statues are there as part of history, just like the Colosseum, they were erected for a purpose in the past - that purpose is no longer valid today, but we leave them there as it is part of our history, we can't change that.

You go on about "right wingers" and "racism", criticizing what some hack says is not racist just because she happens to be black !! - you seem to be the one obsessed with race.

I judge Ebun from the nonsense that she spouts, not from the shade of her skin.

And anyway, weren't these nubian statues not even f*cking slaves!!!

So are black people no longer to be depicted in any form or art ??? reminds me of something ....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...So are black people no longer to be depicted in any form or art ??? reminds me of something ....

According to these people art is dangerous and should never stray beyond unicorns and fluffy clouds and rainbows drawn in crayon by five-year-olds. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Calling out a freeloading grifter is a racial trope? Do you ever get tired of spouting tripe like this?

How is she a freeloading grifter exactly? She has a job and pays her taxes like the rest of us, what's this freeloading grifter crap about exactly? The chancer that was arguing opposite to her is on a junket in the Seanaid after being rejected by the Dail electorate.

How is she a freeloading grifter exactly? She has a job and pays her taxes like the rest of us, what's this freeloading grifter crap about exactly? The chancer that was arguing opposite to her is on a junket in the Seanaid after being rejected by the Dail electorate.

She's running around waving a Ph.D in a makey-uppey nonsense pseudo-subject from a makey-uppey nonsense pseudo-university faculty, and foisting herself onto the media every chance she gets being an angry little woman who openly detests white people.

Absolute nonsense, you are a massive part of the problem.
    Statues are there as part of history, just like the Colosseum, they were erected for a purpose in the past - that purpose is no longer valid today, but we leave them there as it is part of our history, we can't change that.

You go on about "right wingers" and "racism", criticizing what some hack says is not racist just because she happens to be black !! - you seem to be the one obsessed with race.

I judge Ebun from the nonsense that she spouts, not from the shade of her skin.

And anyway, weren't these nubian statues not even f*cking slaves!!!

So are black people no longer to be depicted in any form or art ??? reminds me of something ....

Wow, a lot of anger rearing it's ugly head here.

Who said black people should no longer be depicted in any for of art?

It appears there was a myth that these statues were Nubian slaves and a misunderstanding may have resulted. It is however tremendous fun watching the chancer McDowell and Far Right and Alt Right type whingers on here for example apoplectic with the removal of said statues. It's worth removing them for that alone :pac:

It appears there was a myth that these statues were Nubian slaves and a misunderstanding may have resulted. It is however tremendous fun watching the chancer McDowell and Far Right and Alt Right type whingers on here for example apoplectic with the removal of said statues. It's worth removing them for that alone :pac:

Is that how you always react when someone disagrees with you? Call them an enraged Far RIght whinger, then stick your fingers in your ears going "La-la-la-la"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Are you claiming that she is being paid by taxpayer money based on merit? That there is an objective evaluation on her capacity and ability to talk in an educated and unbiased fashion about the subject of race and racism?

I think that she is actively harmful, and is being paid by the sate to perpetuate this harm. In that way I think it may be legitimate to call her a freeloading grifter. McDowell was elected to all his positions, even his Seanaid junket as you call it. When he did a bad job he was thrown out by the public. There's no throwing out the chancer that has come to dominate the Shelbourne discussion though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0729/1156195-shelbourne-hotel/
    https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/11219465

"Dr Ebun Joseph said members of the black community could not afford to go to the hotel so perhaps did not know the statues even existed."

How much does it cost now to walk along the streets around St. Stephen's Green?

jimgoose wrote: »
    She's running around waving a Ph.D in a makey-uppey nonsense pseudo-subject from a makey-uppey nonsense pseudo-university faculty, and foisting herself onto the media every chance she gets being an angry little woman who openly detests white people.

"She openly detests white people". "She's a freeloading grifter". etc etc. It's getting creepy on here as the FAR/Alt Rightist's lose their cool and reveal the ugliness of their thought processes.

jimgoose wrote: »

Spot on, imagine people that have to actually work and defend their pHd thesis ... whereas this utter nonsense is along the lines of ..

521637.jpg

"She openly detests white people". "She's a freeloading grifter". etc etc. It's getting creepy on here as the FAR/Alt Rightist's lose their cool and reveal the ugliness of their thought processes.

Do you in fact have any thought processes, that don't involve barking "angry Far Rightists!!"? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Creepy? :rolleyes:

More tripe.

https://www.mentalhealthireland.ie/

or if you are based in the UK

https://mentalhealth-uk.org/

You;d need to Google for other international locations .

Your post is very interesting though, there is no "far right" or "alt right" - whatever the f*ck that made up term means ... on here, we are criticizing her based on what she says and does, you should check out the video of her and Niall Boylan , he really calls her out for the utter drivel she spouts.

And people like theCitizen, do you really believe it's racist to criticize black people ? or are you afraid you'll be classed as a racist if you think anything bad about black people ?

How about judging people by their actions and their character rather than the colour of their skin, a great man once said that - and in this sh1t crazy world we live in, that is considered racist nowadays!!!

again the alt right and far right nonsense ..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

She puts me in mind of the European missionaries back in the day going out to darkest Africa and the heathen Orient to rid the natives of their ignorance and tell them how they ought to live.

I'm not buying what she's selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

This is all a figment of your imagination.

Glazers Out!

TheCitizen's posts don't seem to be thanked, I guess boards must be full of alt far rightists :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Article in Irish times saying a leading art historian has confirmed the statues DO NOT depict slaves

How can anyone take this chancer ebun seriously again.

Ebun Joseph - stop giving public interviews willfully attempting to deceive anyone who listens to you.

Post a full apology on your social media channels

Resign from your position in UCD.

And seriously, get mental health treatment.

Article in Irish times saying a leading art historian has confirmed the statues DO NOT depict slaves

Ebun Joseph - stop giving public interviews willfully attempting to deceive anyone who listens to you.

"Nineteenth century documentation proves conclusively that the statues taken down by the Shelbourne Hotel do not depict slave girls, an art historian has said.

Kyle Leyden, who is a lecturer in the history of art and architecture at the University of London, says the original catalogue from which the four statues were ordered clearly label them not as slaves, but Egyptian and African women."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/shelbourne-hotel-statues-do-not-depict-slave-girls-says-leading-art-historian-1.4318586?mode=amp

Ray Darcy will probably have her on his show today, fawning all over her and apologizing how racist we Irish are.

TheCitizen's posts don't seem to be thanked, I guess boards must be full of alt far rightists :rolleyes:

Yep, got it in one there. I'm not here for "thanks", I'd be worried if I started getting loads of "thanks" actually. The place stinks of Far Right and Alt Right and doesn't reflect the real Ireland out there.

nullzero wrote: »
    This is all a figment of your imagination.

Unfortunately not. Those quotes are what posters on here are saying and are rabidly thanking each other for.

again the alt right and far right nonsense ..

Oh I agree the alt right and far right do talk a lot of nonsense, unfortunately they're getting a big foothold on this site and are stinking the place out of it.

Oh I agree the alt right and far right do talk a lot of nonsense, unfortunately they're getting a big foothold on this site and are stinking the place out of it.
    I know you are but what am I??!

Thanks be to Jaysis you'll be going back to school shortly. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Yep, got it in one there. I'm not here for "thanks", I'd be worried if I started getting loads of "thanks" actually. The place stinks of Far Right and Alt Right and doesn't reflect the real Ireland out there.

It doesn't stink for far right or alt right here at all.

Not being happy about a person stirring up the type of divisive racial nonsense that has never been an issue in this country is not the same as being far right.

These type of issues serve to create a situation where the fringe far right types can gain traction.
    You and people like you are conjuring up the intolerance you falsely believe exists in what is an extremely tolerant country. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

These stinky book burners are stinkin' up the site bro !!

Advertisement