Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shelbourne Hotel remove historic statues due to association with slavery - *Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Any body watch the documentary on roman art on BBC4 last night? They liked quite a bit of debauchery and sadism in their personal art while the state sponsored stuff was all about projecting the supremacism of the empire but until now sane people have appreciated it on its historical and artistic merit.

I love Bbc4 but I've noticed a bit of PCism creeping into some of their historical programmes lately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Any body watch the documentary on roman art on BBC4 last night? They liked quite a bit of debauchery and sadism in their personal art while the state sponsored stuff was all about projecting the supremacism of the empire but until now sane people have appreciated it on its historical and artistic merit.

Turns out Imperator Caesar divi filius Augustus had some problematic opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Spot on, imagine people that have to actually work and defend their pHd thesis ... whereas this utter nonsense is along the lines of ..

521637.jpg

I thought she was just bad, now I am wondering if she is mad. Human-ice interactions? Stop fetishizing the ice!
    Dr Ebun wrote:
    Whoever controls the narrative of the past and how history is told, controls the present and the future.

Now removing all the BS this is the real crux of the matter as far as she is concerned.

I think we have a regular Gemtrails on our hands! At least Gemtrails isn't paid by the government to spout harmful nonsense.

More racist ranting:

https://twitter.com/EbunJoseph1/status/1289168558262374402

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

I thought she was just bad, now I am wondering if she is mad. Human-ice interactions? Stop fetishizing the ice!

Now removing all the BS this is the real crux of the matter as far as she is concerned.

I think we have a regular Gemtrails on our hands! At least Gemtrails isn't paid by the government to spout harmful nonsense.

More racist ranting:

https://twitter.com/EbunJoseph1/status/1289168558262374402

Lol, jesus she's a full bull crunchy nutter, if she wasn't black she would never again be heard of

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Everyone is open to criticism. The terms used for criticism of this woman though are revealing; "freeloading grifter". Plenty of connotations attached to that. She can be criticised for her views without resorting to that. However with alt right/far right, they're typically not smart enough to prevent the mask from slipping.

Don't call people freeloading grifters, you can criticize peoples' views without resorting to calling them names.

Call people alt right/far right. You can call people names without resorting to criticizing their views.

I can see that you are getting uncomfortable. As Dr Akpoveta would say, that is good. It shows that you have biases that you don't like being challenged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I have no wish to kick her while she’s down but Whoever in her personal life cares for EJ should step in now and call a halt to her meltdown,

Prise the phone from her and get her to a medical professional. It ain’t pretty to see

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

It would be better if people addressed the issue rather then calling someone mad for disagreeing or saying they are having a meltdown.

I don't agree with her but she has as much of a right to her views as anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Does UCD pay her to spend her day on Twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It would be better if people addressed the issue rather then calling someone mad for disagreeing or saying they are having a meltdown.

I don't agree with her but she has as much of a right to her views as anyone else.

Sorry did you actually see her “performance” on prime time last night?

It was genuinely disturbing. Even McDowell looked concerned.

She was roaring and shouting spouting streams of nonsensical mumbo jumbo - was not a pretty sight

Shame on RTÉ for putting her on air

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

Does UCD pay her to spend her day on Twitter?

I genuinely can't tell if she's serious or one of the most masterful sh1tposting trolls I've ever seen.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    She's doubling down on the statues being slave women

https://twitter.com/EbunJoseph1/status/1289127485280583681

Utter lunatic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

The issue is her attitude.

Her "views" are inherintly racist towards "whites" and she seems to have a huge issue with the "Irish.

It has been put to her on a number of occasions upon academic research that these statues were not a representation of slavery. In response she has discounted the academics because the happen to be "white".

In actual fact, where no race issue existed in this situation, she has turned it into a race issue.

She NEEDS to turn everything into a race issue, otherwise she loses credibility and legitimacy. Ireland as a nation are soft in this regard, she knows it and she capitalises on it.

By all means demonstrate, protest and educate the historical contexts of inhumane treatment of black and/or African populace. However, do it correctly. Not the way she is currently doing it.

She is a fraud and is discrediting her "camp".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Sadly Herr Schicke Hosen, you are merely piddling windward. The more you say, the more you confirm that we're all Klansmen. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I don't think she's right in the head.

I hadn't heard of her before this debacle, and I fully disagree with her stance on these statues, because she's quite simply just incorrect about them.

But after reading a few of her tweets, I genuinely think that she mightn't be the full shilling.

The issue is her attitude.

Her "views" are inherintly racist towards "whites" and she seems to have a huge issue with the "Irish.

It has been put to her on a number of occasions upon academic research that these statues were not a representation of slavery. In response she has discounted the academics because the happen to be "white".

In actual fact, where no race issue existed in this situation, she has turned it into a race issue.

She NEEDS to turn everything into a race issue, otherwise she loses credibility and legitimacy. Ireland as a nation are soft in this regard, she knows it and she capitalises on it.

By all means demonstrate, protest and educate the historical contexts of inhumane treatment of black and/or African populace. However, do it correctly. Not the way she is currently doing it.

She is a fraud and is discrediting her "camp".

That's fair enough and you are addressing her opinions and attitudes and addressing why she is wrong.

A lot more are just saying, oh she's mad, she needs help. Doesn't add much and there are about four pages just slagging her off.

I am not saying I remotely agree with her just she has the right to say it.

That's fair enough and you are addressing her opinions and attitudes and addressing why she is wrong.

A lot more are just saying, oh she's mad, she needs help. Doesn't add much and there are about four pages just slagging her off.

I am not saying I remotely agree with her just she has the right to say it.

No-one said she hadn't the right to say what she says, it's simply that I have the right to point out that she is 100% bang-to-right wrong and in my opinion, deranged.

jimgoose wrote: »
    No-one said she hadn't the right to say what she says, it's simply that I have the right to point out that she is 100% bang-to-right wrong and in my opinion, deranged.

She's not deranged just because she doesn't agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

McDowell did, and there's dozens of folks on twitter attacking him, simply because its him.. for various reasons including but not limited to, he's white/male. She's entitled to her views as much as Gemma O'Doherty is. Remember, she was once a respected journalist, or at least she went mostly un noticed until she seemingly completely lost it.

What would you call someone who dismisses facts, simply because of the colour of someone else's skin.. in this case being white. She's wrong, and instead of admitting, she continues to rant and rave.

Quite so indeed. However, she might just be deranged because she is acting like she's deranged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Notice how she takes offence over 'white' people speaking about 'black' history
    But when it comes to Irish history she - a black woman, calls it "our" history.
    "We" removed Nelsons column. "our" Irish history
    But "you" have no right to speak for black history. Because you're not black.

givyjoe wrote: »
    McDowell did, and there's dozens of folks on twitter attacking him, simply because its him.. for various reasons including but not limited to, he's white/male. She's entitled to her views as much as Gemma O'Doherty is. Remember, she was once a respected journalist, or at least she went mostly un noticed until she seemingly completely lost it.

True and Gemma has a right to her views too. Attacking him because he is male is probably they realise they are wrong and can't actually address the point.

givyjoe wrote: »
    What would you call someone who dismisses facts, simply because of the colour of someone else's skin.. in this case being white. She's wrong, and instead of admitting, she continues to rant and rave.

I would call that person a racist.

True and Gemma has a right to her views too. Attacking him because he is male is probably they realise they are wrong and can't actually address the point.

Which is the point a lot of folks, including those here, are making. They are also giving their opinion as to why she is expressing these clearly wrong/flawed opinions.

She has a PHD, so on the face of it, can't be thick, yet is continuing to make these bat **** crazy arguments despite facts to the contrary, so you therefore do have to ask why is continuing to express such statements..? Mad.. (for want of a better term/a specific diagnosis) bad... or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I wouldn't say she is literally deranged but her ideas are incoherent and she has confidence that her IQ does not warrant. There are plenty of very smart people with these controversial views that would be better leaders. If want to drive this cultural war, youd go after the statues of John Mitchell, Flann O’Brien, George Bernard Shaw or Yeats, because at least these statues have a clear meaning and if you managed to topple any it would have painful ripples on Irish pride. Driving a cultural war to after ambiguous statues of randomers from 3000 years ago is a bit strange and a cul-de-sac.

Just on this point also, she has a right to her views sure (Gemma O'D I mean), but she does not have a right to a platform to air those views. She also does not have a right to a career, solely based on her inflammatory views, either does Ebun. Considering her shocking performance, complete incoherence and worst of all apparent racism, surely UCD should be questioning whether this woman should be working at their University, never mind RTE continually looking for her opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

And those who oppose her views are generally not racist. It works both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Nobody is saying that though.

Seriously, have you looked at her Twitter feed? It's a fat disaster. And that 'Prime Time' slot did her no favors at all. She came across as babbling and largely incoherent. Her points are a spastic mix of "slavery" and "black body fetishism", and neither really belong here. The statues weren't depicting slaves and a statue of a human body isn't necessarily a "fetish".

Look, when you make a prick like Michael McDowell look like the reasonable person in the room, you're doing something really wrong.

Nobody had any issue with these statues until some ****ing ejit in America (of course) stuck their nose in with a half-cocked idea and mistakenly shot their mouth off. Something they are wont to do with lamentable regularity. To everybody else, these things were simply fancy lamp holders in front of a poncy hotel, that the vast majority of Dubliners (and Irish in general) never went into.

This whole sorry episode is a complete farce and one that's entirely built on a false premise.

What Ebun Joseph should now do, is quietly drop this and make an effort to move away from it. Because if she continues to go down this route, she'll only be doing herself a real disservice and force more people to question both her bona fides and her mental capacity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I will never take Ebun Joseph seriously again, she totally embarrassed herself last night on tv,
    and quite frankly i'm sick to my back teeth of getting white privilege thrown at me.
    I don't get to play the race card all the time like a broken record and live far from a life of privilege.

• Advertisement

And those who oppose her views are generally not racist. It works both ways.

Of course. I oppose her views myself.

Advertisement