Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shelbourne Hotel remove historic statues due to association with slavery - *Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

KevRossi wrote: »
    Her book came out today, 256 pages. Price; £80.00

That's £80.00 for the hardcover and oddly enough £80.00 for the eBook as well.

https://manchesteruniversitypress.co.uk/9781526134394/

You're telling me that someone who has hysterically elbowed her way into a storm-in-a-teacup controversy has coincidently just released a book?

well i never

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I thought this was interesting to see. Unlearn racism is a new one to me.

She says that all White people are naturally racist as we are born into a country that has, since independence, been racist against Blacks. Therefore by default you are racist. Even if you think or say you are not racist, you are racist. You will continue to be racist until you are brainwa until you unlearn racism and become actively anti-racist.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Wow, a lot of anger rearing it's ugly head here.
    Yeah you really need to calm down.
    Who said black people should no longer be depicted in any for of art?

Well the topic of conversation is how it is inappropriate to have sculptures of black women outside a hotel in Dublin because a five star hotel in Dublin represents the supremacy and opulence of Whites. At least that is according to the spokesperson whose views you are defending.

Well, when I say defending.. you don't actually quote her or use any facts. You just talk about how everyone is a racist without using any specific- oh lord, you really are her disciple!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

DelaneyIn wrote: »

If the libraries buy it in it will be the taxpayer who will be paying I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭SoupMonster

The same reason rte have Katie Hopkins on goes for this individual, reaction response complaints all equal viewing figures and quality to the clowns in rte. It's this inherent laziness that means shallow self serving individuals like the good doctor will always be first port of call for them rather than someone who would make valid intellectual and moral contributions...they think the public are thick as ****.. this laziness also gives us the nepotism of lottie Ryan et al.....and the blandness of Ryan turbrby..

I was waiting for PrimeTime to show close-up pictures of the statues, so we could see those manacles/shackles/ankle bracelets for ourselves. No.

The Romans kept the mob happy by giving out free bread and entertaining them. The public are increasingly being treated like the mob, mere plebs to be placated and entertained. Meanwhile a patrician elite, funded by taxes from the mob, engages in policy capture.

Tampax ads, statues and racial politics are the entertainment. PUP is the bread. Meanwhile, decisions by government are outsourced to the elite, academics, pressure groups, quangos staffed by patricians, while some politicians call the electorate trolls and alt-right fascists on social media and show nothing but disdain for the people who elected them.

We have become the mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭SoupMonster

Wibbs wrote: »
    Before I clicked on that I expected to see some middle class White woman agreeing with the sentiment. And I suspect I'd be right. As about the most pampered, protected and largely rootless demographic in western society, who find basic contentment just out of reach they're a large percentage of the foot soldiers for this kinda nonsense. The same demographic that laps up fashionista feminism, self help books and the causes de jour. So long as some of the causes are only at the weekend and not living next door... With interior design and writing night classes of course. Fond of unnecessary cushions and candles that are never lit.

Wait till you hear Canadians declare that they are living on unceded, colonized, First Nations' territory and apologise for their presence. It never seems to occur to them that maybe they should "feck off back to where they came from".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

You're telling me that someone who has hysterically elbowed her way into a storm-in-a-teacup controversy has coincidently just released a book?

well i never

Mmmmmm...the plot thickens. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Be careful. Calling Tommy Robinson a grifter is okay, but it is racist to call this lady a grifter.

To be honest, even the more vocal resident boards.ie SJW's have been very quiet on this one, and that is saying allot. No one is really defending her, because her position is really cannot be defended. So...

A1xE.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MFPM

well i never

An academic discussing an issue that reflects her research, well what ever next!

As for the book, it's clearly an academic book and if you know anything about that you'll know it won't be a huge seller, very few are.

While we're here are you annoyed about Michael McDowell elbowing his way into a 'storm-in-a-teacup' controversy too, you made no mention of him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

markodaly wrote: »
    To be honest, even the more vocal resident boards.ie SJW's have been very quiet on this one, and that is saying allot. No one is really defending her, because her position is really cannot be defended. So...

A1xE.gif

You obviously missed TheCitizen earlier. Very strident defence of the lady, took umbrage at references to her as a ‘freeloading grifter’. Might be best if you were to read the thread before commenting further on this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

You obviously missed TheCitizen earlier. Very strident defence of the lady, took umbrage at references to her as a ‘freeloading grifter’. Might be best if you were to read the thread before commenting further on this point.

Tbf there's a group of "usual suspects" who have been conspicuously absent for the most part here.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

You might try reading the thread yourself because I actually did criticise her for being factually incorrect re poor ould Admiral Nelson being sped on his way with 50 pounds of gelignite back in the day. McDowell still affronted after all these years. As usual with you there’s no room for nuance in your comments, same old hysterical guff out of you all the time, forever on the offended bus.

You might try reading the thread yourself because I actually did criticise her for being factually incorrect re poor ould Admiral Nelson being sped on his way with 50 pounds of gelignite back in the day. McDowell still affronted after all these years. As usual with you there’s no room for nuance in your comments, same old hysterical guff out of you all the time, forever on the offended bus.

Welcome back. I was worried we had lost you. Ironic that you talk about ‘the offended bus’ given your obsession with removing statues and post boxes that you don’t like.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

McDowell has made a career out of hating Sinn Fein and by extension anything related to militant republicanism. He didn't need last night's debate to get his back up about Nelson's column.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Get up outta that, you've spent the day labeling anyone you don't agree with as racists and now you're complaining about a poster's comments having no room for nuance!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

MFPM wrote: »
    An academic discussing an issue that reflects her research, well what ever next!

As for the book, it's clearly an academic book and if you know anything about that you'll know it won't be a huge seller, very few are.

While we're here are you annoyed about Michael McDowell elbowing his way into a 'storm-in-a-teacup' controversy too, you made no mention of him?

As a professional shytehawk and race baiter, the good doctors' motivations are inherently bad faith. I take your point however about it being an academic publications. As for McDowell - he said the hotel's decision was based on nonsense - a point that was proven in that we now know the statues don't even depict slaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    She's doubling down on the statues being slave women

https://twitter.com/EbunJoseph1/status/1289127485280583681

Genuine question, how many folks in Ireland have issues with black(people of colour/whatever the correct term is) people living here or visiting here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MFPM

As a professional shytehawk and race baiter, the good doctors' motivations are inherently bad faith. I take your point however about it being an academic publications. As for McDowell - he said the hotel's decision was based on nonsense - a point that was proven in that we now know the statues don't even depict slaves.
    As a professional shytehawk and race baiter, the good doctors' motivations are inherently bad faith.

Parking the abuse - how is she a 'race baiter' exactly and what evidence do you have to question her motives?
    As for McDowell - he said the hotel's decision was based on nonsense

So Joseph is a 'shytehawk' and a 'race baiter' and her comments her take on the issue is incorrect allegedly but Mc Dowell makes a statement and and you accept it fully without question? I'm aware there is some question about the statues but one wonders why the hotel owners moved to remove them when there was no controversy or call for them to be removed?

It's also interesting that you accuse Joseph of being a 'race baiter' yet McDowell in 2003/2004 engaged in race baitiing when he dishonesty used information to exploit people's concerns about the health service to drive through his racist citizenship referendum .So are you OK with race baiting if it's from a pillar of the establishment?

Don’t forget her €50 “open day”

What is a €50 open day?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

MFPM wrote: »
    It's also interesting that you accuse Joseph of being a 'race baiter' yet McDowell in 2003/2004 engaged in race baitiing when he dishonesty used information to exploit people's concerns about the health service to drive through his racist citizenship referendum .So are you OK with race baiting if it's from a pillar of the establishment?

Why are you lying? McDowell engaged in the facts.

In the years prior to the referendum, 58% of all asylum seeking women over the age of 16 were pregnant upon making their application for asylum.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/information%20note.pdf/Files/information%20note.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 17,078 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Genuine question, how many folks in Ireland have issues with black(people of colour/whatever the correct term is) people living here or visiting here?

most rational people dont have a problem.

and i would argue that its the people patronising others that are the problem.

'oh look, mr X or X race. i need to step in and speak for you, i'll even get offended on your behalf. i know better. let me pat your head'.

• Advertisement

Oh she is holding a pint of Guinness, surely that symbolises the oppression of the black folks by the white man in the eyes of Joseph

Oh she is holding a pint of Guinness, surely that symbolises the oppression of the black folks by the white man in the eyes of Joseph

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

White layer on top. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I would love to watch a travel show where Gemma and Ebun travel together to some exotic location and criticize everything about the local culture, their food, architecture, art, etc. Tired of all these people thinking the world is a great place with all its variety.

Now there is a wacky sitcom idea!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

KevRossi wrote: »
    Her book came out today, 256 pages. Price; £80.00

That's £80.00 for the hardcover and oddly enough £80.00 for the eBook as well.

https://manchesteruniversitypress.co.uk/9781526134394/

Jesus Christ. You can read the first chapter. I managed the first 2-3 paragraphs which appear to be basically implying that the reason why all the Polish et. al. Eastern European people who came here to work on the building etc., might have done a little better than "asylum seekers" who came to sit on their holes, is that Irish people are racist.

The same reason rte have Katie Hopkins on goes for this individual, reaction response complaints all equal viewing figures and quality to the clowns in rte. It's this inherent laziness that means shallow self serving individuals like the good doctor will always be first port of call for them rather than someone who would make valid intellectual and moral contributions...they think the public are thick as ****.. this laziness also gives us the nepotism of lottie Ryan et al.....and the blandness of Ryan turbrby..

Difference is the hosts will grill Katie Hopkins whilst they will just give Ebun an easy pass and nod silently to everything she says - I'd love to see her debate with Niall Boylan again ...
    ]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

Ah here - come on, is that true? Ffs she is absolutely taking the p1ss. Neck like a jockeys howya.

Unreal

That would be the expected price for an academic book, can't say if it's decent or not tbh. It'll be both by a few people and then institutions.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well she has the right to speak about Irish history, but she's not Irish, so I figure on that basis I can speak for Nigerian history(fascinating subject actually) even though I'm not Nigerian. And you can be damn sure if my pasty arse lived in Nigeria for the same length of time as she has lived here, showing up at 30 years old, no way in hell would she consider me a Nigerian and by God no way would she be happy if I were to go on Nigerian media and start bitching about the attitude of Nigerians to me and my forebears*. I'm the wrong colour, but apparently I have to automatically consider her Irish. How does that work then?

*well I have basic manners so it wouldn't occur to me to start pissing on a country I am an extended guest in.

Spot on, to diverge a bit if you like Nigerian history you might not history of the Conger, have you read _King Leopolds Ghost_ ? by Adam Hochchild (sp?) ?

One of the best history books I've ever read...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Nigeria is projected to be the top 10 largest economies globally by 2100. It is a reasonable question to ask why someone would want to come to a place where they feel hated if they can stay at home and be a part of that growth and expansion.

I mean I wouldn't want to go to live in Cork if the people there hated people from where I am from.......well actually.....that said...... I wouldn't want to go and live in Cork if the people there loved people from where I am from........what non-mental person would want to live in Cork?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

White layer on top. :)

Nigerians love an auld pint of plain.

Advertisement