Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shelbourne Hotel remove historic statues due to association with slavery - *Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MFPM

Nigeria is projected to be the top 10 largest economies globally by 2100. It is a reasonable question to ask why someone would want to come to a place where they feel hated if they can stay at home and be a part of that growth and expansion.

I mean I wouldn't want to go to live in Cork if the people there hated people from where I am from.......well actually.....that said...... I wouldn't want to go and live in Cork if the people there loved people from where I am from........what non-mental person would want to live in Cork?
    Nigeria is projected to be the top 10 largest economies globally by 2100. It is a reasonable question to ask why someone would want to come to a place where they feel hated if they can stay at home and be a part of that growth and expansion.

You do know ust because it might be a large economy doesn't mean there isn't structural unemployment/poverty/inequality etc....I suppose you could also ask the thousands of Irish who lived in Britain why they stayed when they suffered abuse and discrimination to varying degrees and told to f:ck off home etc?

Are you really that clueless about the push and pull factors of migration?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MFPM

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Nigerians love an auld pint of plain.

Idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

MFPM wrote: »
    It's also interesting that you accuse Joseph of being a 'race baiter' yet McDowell in 2003/2004 engaged in race baitiing when he dishonesty used information to exploit people's concerns about the health service to drive through his racist citizenship referendum .So are you OK with race baiting if it's from a pillar of the establishment?

Ah, that old chestnut.

The same referendum that was passed by 80%... that one?

Quick, where is the cat o nine tails, we must atone for our sins and begin the flaying henceforth!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I mean I wouldn't want to go to live in Cork if the people there hated people from where I am from.......well actually.....that said...... I wouldn't want to go and live in Cork if the people there loved people from where I am from........what non-mental person would want to live in Cork?

West Cork is probably the most beautiful place in IReland!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Nigerians love an auld pint bottle of plain.

Fyp;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

... racist citizenship referendum .
    4/5 of the Irish population voted "Yes" on that referendum, so ergo 4/5 of us are racist (I presume). Voting "Yes" was necessary due to the large number of heavily pregnant Nigerians arriving at Dublin airport in order to gain citizenship and lifelong welfare/entitlements.

With the latest news about the new book that Ebun Joseph is trying to pawn on the racist Irish public, it is no surprise then that "suddenly" she is all over the news, on PrimeTime etc. She will probably picket any library/college/school in Ireland who will not buy it. If it is based on her thesis, then it is substantially flawed, and questions should be asked of UCD on how it passed the examination process.

Not only is Ebun Joseph a racist due to her Irish-hating, she is also a Grade A shyster with her free publicity stunt for her book.

Idiot.

They actually do!!!! , been known since the 90s (for me anyway) that Guinness is hugely popular in Nigeria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

They actually do!!!! , been known since the 90s (for me anyway) that Guinness is hugely popular in Nigeria

He probably couldn’t find Nigeria on a map. Don’t expect him to know anything about the country or the people.

Kivaro wrote: »
    4/5 of the Irish population voted "Yes" on that referendum, so ergo 4/5 of us are racist (I presume). Voting "Yes" was necessary due to the large number of heavily pregnant Nigerians arriving at Dublin airport in order to gain citizenship and lifelong welfare/entitlements.

With the latest news about the new book that Ebun Joseph is trying to pawn on the racist Irish public, it is no surprise then that "suddenly" she is all over the news, on PrimeTime etc. She will probably picket any library/college/school in Ireland who will not buy it. If it is based on her thesis, then it is substantially flawed, and questions should be asked of UCD on how it passed the examination process.

Not only is Ebun Joseph a racist due to her Irish-hating, she is also a Grade A shyster with her free publicity stunt for her book.

They won't be though, the staff in UCD are terrified of her, anyone challenges anything she says the mob will come after them and destroy their life.

• Advertisement

He probably couldn’t find Nigeria on a map. Don’t expect him to know anything about the country or the people.

When do 2nd year students do African Geography ? is it on the curriculum ?
    I suppose cos of the covid he must have missed a lot of classes!!!

Time to get those notes from Mr. Carrol..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    What is a €50 open day?

She’s running an online course in black studies or somesuch nonsense. To give people a glimpse of the course before they sign up she is having an online open day. It’s €50 to “attend” the open day.

Reading her twitter page has enraged me. Rte should be lambasted for giving her a national platform.

She is stoking racial tension on a national level that shouldn't exist in Ireland. We have nothing to atone for in this country. Historically we as a people have been just as oppressed as any other people.

It's not racist to say send her back to Africa, its where she came from and she's adding zero value to our society. If someone like Tommy Robinson was living here spouting his right wing hate I'd be saying 'send this lout back to Britain'.

The word racism has lost all fcuking meaning these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

She’s running an online course in black studies or somesuch nonsense. To give people a glimpse of the course before they sign up she is having an online open day. It’s €50 to “attend” the open day.

If you are white and you sign up you get a mirror posted out to you with the word "RACIST" written on the top of it.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

nullzero wrote: »
    If you are white and you sign up you get a mirror posted out to you with the word "RACIST" written on the top of it.

And you get charged an extra EUR 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You do know ust because it might be a large economy doesn't mean there isn't structural unemployment/poverty/inequality etc....I suppose you could also ask the thousands of Irish who lived in Britain why they stayed when they suffered abuse and discrimination to varying degrees and told to f:ck off home etc?

Are you really that clueless about the push and pull factors of migration?

Who was told to fuck off? Was she told to fuck off out of Nigeria? Why isn't she back there fighting all this "structural unemployment/poverty/inequality" etc? Would that not be the right place to go if you actually wanted to help "black people" so to speak? No? There are about 200 million of them there and surely it would be more pressing to help the ones in actual poverty rise up? I'm sure the starving and oppressed ones back there are delighted that some hotel in Ireland illegally altered a protected structure out of their own ignorance of what it was.

Lady apparently arrived here in her 30's. Was put through full time education here. Doesn't seem to have had a real job here for most of the time since she arrived. Somehow she managed to pay for that and sustain herself.................

She seems to have gotten more from the country of people she appears to detest than she got from her own people?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I have loads of Egyptian bits around the place as i have been there a few times and I like the style including jewelry.

And I never knew I was fetishing black bodies, just like the art. There I was being all racist by being interested in Egypt.
    Never mind that for the vast majority of ancient(outside of the Kush century long takeover) and more current Egyptian history it wasn't a Black African nation. Though mention that to some US college types at your peril. This has even crept into US origin documentaries and reconstructions of Rameses and the like as Black Africans. Some of them are convinced Cleopatra was Black. Pity she was the last of the Greek Ptolemy line left there by Alex the only bleedin' brilliant.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lady apparently arrived here in her 30's. Was put through full time education here.
    Actually she already had a third level degree in something actually useful like biology IIRC?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

West Cork is probably the most beautiful place in IReland!!!

Ah it looks lovely, and the Protestants have been doing their best to try to push the natives out.....but there is an inherent conflict to that as well. The Corkonians have to live somewhere and it is their native territory.

Plus, it's not really fair on other areas to move them from West Cork and into those other areas.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Actually she already had a third level degree in something actually useful like biology IIRC?

Yes, but she was put through full time education here. That stands regardless of what she had previously.

As for useful..........what is a degree from a random college in Nigeria worth in the real world here? It might even rank below UCD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Ah it looks lovely, and the Protestants have been doing their best to try to push the natives out.....but there is an inherent conflict to that as well. The Corkonians have to live somewhere and it is their native territory.

Plus, it's not really fair on other areas to move them from West Cork and into those other areas.

Oh Jaysus, do I have to engage here with this nonsense?

markodaly wrote: »
    Oh Jaysus, do I have to engage here with this nonsense?

No, it is not mandatory to engage in anything.

But before you get too upset, have a look at the image below.

tenor.gif?itemid=14391548

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Kivaro wrote: »
    4/5 of the Irish population voted "Yes" on that referendum, so ergo 4/5 of us are racist (I presume).

Yes Ebun already covered that. It makes sense since 'Ireland is not only a racial state (Goldberg, 2002) and a racist state (Lentin and McVeigh, 2006), but is also a heavily racially stratified state'

Wait a second, let's have a look at that reference to Ireland being a racist state that she uses. Lentin and McVeigh, 2006. 14 years ago, huh. Okay
    Our premise in this book is that Ireland, which is, like other nation-states, a racial state, is also a racist state. In a racial state (Goldberg, 2002) 'race' and 'nation' are defined in terms of each other - evidenced in the ethnically narrow framing of Bunreacht na hEireann (see Lentin, 1998) and in the June 2004 Citizenship Referendum, which used the Irish Constitution to differentiate between citizens and non-citizens in racial terms. In a racist state, the totalising control over the individual is enforced by the state in its efforts to render the population under its jurisdiction racially coherent, through, among other mechanisms, constitutions, welfare nationalism, demography and statistics, border and immigration control, all leading to a marked rupture between those who belong and those who do not, or between those who may live and those who must die. What Foucault terms governmental 'biopolitics' regulates the space of immigration and race. The shift from 'racial' to 'racist' state is not a historical process; rather racial states always also operate as racist states as this book argues. This brings us to shift our definitional framework from 'institutional racism' to 'constitutional racism'.
    After Optimism? Ireland, Racism and Globalisation

Really? Virtually all states are racial states, and all racial states operate as racist states? We really should have nipped this shít in the bud a long time ago. A racist state is one that has a definition of citizenry? Really?

How deep is this rot? How long have we allowed these piss-artists sponge off the state while peddling a white guilt narrative? The authors of the above piece aren't black by the way, one is Irish, the other Israeli (yes, really :pac:), and this book of theirs (with a chapter entitled 'Anti-Travellerism: Towards a "final solution" to the Traveller "problem") is often cited to copperfasten the idea that Ireland is an inherently racist country.

Well given the definition they provide of course Ireland (along with virtually every other country in the world, with the amusing exception of America) would be considered racist.

Sorry, that's a tangent. I'll lay off the Black supremacist cool aid for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Aside from that mad yoke and in an attempt of drawing things back to the topic of the thread. Seeing as the Nubian slave stuff has turned out to be nothing other than a load of bollocks two things...

1. Are they going back up again? DCC seem to dipped their wick into matters.

2. Who exactly is the tosser in the Shelbourne that made this very uneducated call which was obviously a populist publicity stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭SoupMonster

the June 2004 Citizenship Referendum, which used the Irish Constitution to differentiate between citizens and non-citizens in racial terms.

Hang on ...
    Does this mean that my wife is not a citizen?
    Is the state going to strip her of the passport she's held for over 30 years?
    How did I miss this?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Hang on ...
    Does this mean that my wife is not a citizen?
    Is the state going to strip her of the passport she's held for over 30 years?
    How did I miss this?

It has nothing to do with race. It effects more white people than black. A Polish person cannot automatically get an Irish passport for a child born in Ireland.

yenom wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with race. It effects more white people than black. A Polish person cannot automatically get an Irish passport for a child born in Ireland.

Is the rule not that one parent has to be either Irish or be living here legally?

The rule was rightly changed because we were an outlier in Europe in terms of giving Jus soli citizenship.

It was an accidental "rule" btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

2. Who exactly is the tosser in the Shelbourne that made this very uneducated call which was obviously a populist publicity stunt.

1. DCC is a byword for municipal neglect that makes the other Dublin Local Authorities look good in comparison. If it could do nothing at all here it would. But because the sleeping giant of Irish Conservationism has been awoken and Senator McDowell has seized on the issue it may reluctantly and begrudgingly actually do its job and enforce planning law.

2. Some Yank Master of the Universe that would be paying the staff in gruel given half a chance but saw an oppportunity for vapid virtue signalling; or worse their local Paddy Man Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    1. DCC is a byword for municipal neglect that makes the other Dublin Local Authorities look good in comparison. If it could do nothing at all here it would. But because the sleeping giant of Irish Conservationism has been awoken and Senator McDowell has seized on the issue it may reluctantly and begrudgingly actually do its job and enforce planning law.

2. Some Yank Master of the Universe that would be paying the staff in gruel given half a chance but saw an oppportunity for vapid virtue signalling; or worse their local Paddy Man Friday.

f*ck sake :):):)

• Advertisement

Aside from that mad yoke and in an attempt of drawing things back to the topic of the thread. Seeing as the Nubian slave stuff has turned out to be nothing other than a load of bollocks two things...

They'll become a target if they do get reinstated and it will be solely because of that lunatic and RTE. A match made in heaven really, fcuking parasites the lot of them.

Advertisement