Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shelbourne Hotel remove historic statues due to association with slavery - *Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Hang on ...
    Does this mean that my wife is not a citizen?
    Is the state going to strip her of the passport she's held for over 30 years?
    How did I miss this?

Yeah that book mentions repeatedly that the entire country was changed by defining citizenship for the first time by race.

Unusually the referendum was on legal text that is as brief as it is clear
    1º Notwithstanding any other provision of this Constitution, a person born in the island of Ireland, which includes its islands and seas, who does not have, at the time of the birth of that person, at least one parent who is an Irish citizen or entitled to be an Irish citizen is not entitled to Irish citizenship or nationality, unless provided for by law.
    2º This section shall not apply to persons born before the date of the enactment of this section

That's it. No mention of race. These two chancers predicate their entire book on this lie, which is so easily disproven it is laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Expert on with Philip Boucher Hayes this eve. The statues are of Egyptian princesses. They are not shackled, they are bangles on their ankles. They have gold headbands and the clothes they are wearing are representative of a silk dress that would have been worn.
    Their heads are not bowed in a subservient pose. The sculptor would have made them specifically to be displayed on a plinth. If he had their faces turned upwards then people would be unable to appreciate the detail used.

Knickers in knot over nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Get up outta that, you've spent the day labeling anyone you don't agree with as racists and now you're complaining about a poster's comments having no room for nuance!

Get up out of that what? Your man Rodney was accusing me of not countenancing any criticism for your one the Doctor, but that's utter bullshít I did criticise her for being inaccurate. I also criticised McDowell for chancing his arm as he often does as well, but he gets a bye on here. As per usual with the likes of Rodney there, it's black and white and no in between, like arguing with a spoilt teenager.

Welcome back. I was worried we had lost you. Ironic that you talk about ‘the offended bus’ given your obsession with removing statues and post boxes that you don’t like.

You're forever on the offended bus on here with anyone that disagrees with you. Some of us have a life and have other pursuits. you're nearly always camped out on here by the looks of it, so you'll undoubtedly get the last word, congratulations :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

They'll become a target if they do get reinstated and it will be solely because of that lunatic and RTE. A match made in heaven really, fcuking parasites the lot of them.

Surely not as it has been verified as nonsense, it’s been a cock up. Is it too much to ask that this acknowledged. The Irish times who are pretty much the only worthwhile publication here have published an article to say as much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

heldel00 wrote: »
    Expert on with Philip Boucher Hayes this eve. The statues are of Egyptian princesses. They are not shackled, they are bangles on their ankles. They have gold headbands and the clothes they are wearing are representative of a silk dress that would have been worn.
    Their heads are not bowed in a subservient pose. The sculptor would have made them specifically to be displayed on a plinth. If he had their faces turned upwards then people would be unable to appreciate the detail used.

What did Philip say ?
    Did he show any disagreement toward Ebun, he seems another far left useful idiot .. harping on about climate change as he pounces about in his land rover

nullzero wrote: »
    McDowell has made a career out of hating Sinn Fein and by extension anything related to militant republicanism. He didn't need last night's debate to get his back up about Nelson's column.

Famously abused Dail privilege that time with journalist Niall Connolly. He's an absolute chancer and ultimately a loser. When he lost his seat it was Ireland's Portillo moment. He's a hero to some on here though which says it all given that he's a loser who's Dail career was consigned to the toilet :pac:.

That doesn't make me a fan of your one the Doctor who didn't come across well informed at all, but on here with a certain lot of juvenile extremists like our friend Rodney everything is binary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭mikemac2

https://d2yvuud5fila0c.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/31132232/9781526134394_Sample.pdf

The good doctor might learn what a paragraph is. If an OP put up a block of text like that they'd get a few comments

Even the colourful cover of the book is difficult to read :/

I´ll be spending my 80 euro on booze, no sale for you, sorry :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Famously abused Dail privilege that time with journalist Niall Connolly. He's an absolute chancer and ultimately a loser. When he lost his seat it was Ireland's Portillo moment. He's a hero to some on here though which says it all given that he's a loser who's Dail career was consigned to the toilet.

You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about the guy, for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 23,371 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Famously abused Dail privilege that time with journalist Niall Connolly. He's an absolute chancer and ultimately a loser. When he lost his seat it was Ireland's Portillo moment. He's a hero to some on here though which says it all given that he's a loser who's Dail career was consigned to the toilet :pac:.

That doesn't make me a fan of your one the Doctor who didn't come across well informed at all, but on here with a certain lot of juvenile extremists like our friend Rodney everything is binary.

If that is the career of a loser, well id love to see your CV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Surely not as it has been verified as nonsense, it’s been a cock up. Is it too much to ask that this acknowledged. The Irish times who are pretty much the only worthwhile publication here have published an article to say as much.

That reads suspiciously like rational thinking. I'm unsure if you saw PT last night but if you missed it then take a look at the good Doctors twitter page.

She is of the opinion that the statues are painted black and everything else is white privilege. She has 6k followers on twitter. Only takes 1 of those 6k to deface them if they go back up.

Hopefully I'm just drunk but im starting to think we're going the way of the UK way quicker than I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Your man Rodney was accusing me of not countenancing any criticism for your one the Doctor

I don’t want to comment anymore on her, but we’re playing fast and loose with the “Doctor” title, bachelor degrees in humanities have been mocked I would say since the early 90’s, and rightly so as they became seriously devalued. Unfortunately a lot of very bright people go into them, work hard and do very well only to find out an idiot has done just as well to please the “university degree necessity” Mum and dad hang the degree stuff. and it’s a money making business. Master degrees in the same discipline were undervalued the same not long after and humanities PhD’s are exactly where the BA was 30 years ago today. She is living proof, they are also just given out to satisfy egos and keep those rubber stamping it in a job. This person is an idiot and a lunatic, plain and simple and she has some muck “research” done (which I did read some while back when she popped up for the Ribena racial assault)...so like the other extremes, she/he is best ignored, but let’s not ever bestow the title of “Doctor” upon her, ever. She’s an irrational racist lunatic, she also seems to be a very unlikeable nasty person. I believe all of that is possible irrespective of your skin colour.

mickdw wrote: »
    If that is the career of a loser, well id love to see your CV.

:pac: mickdw? Is that you Michael McDowell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

You're forever on the offended bus on here with anyone that disagrees with you. Some of us have a life and have other pursuits. you're nearly always camped out on here by the looks of it, so you'll undoubtedly get the last word, congratulations :pac:

As I said you are the one obsessed with removing statues (and post boxes) because of imagined ‘offense’ but I’m the one on the ‘offended bus’? How does that work?

Get up out of that what? Your man Rodney was accusing me of not countenancing any criticism for your one the Doctor, but that's utter bullshít I did criticise her for being inaccurate. I also criticised McDowell for chancing his arm as he often does as well, but he gets a bye on here. As per usual with the likes of Rodney there, it's black and white and no in between, like arguing with a spoilt teenager.

If you weren’t so precious about this freeloading grifter then there wouldn’t be a problem.

Binary? From the lad who calls anyone who disagrees with him a racist or far / alt right? We’re just waiting for the ‘worse that Stormfront’ reference to complete the set.

Seriously dude? Stay off the solvents.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yes Ebun already covered that. It makes sense since 'Ireland is not only a racial state (Goldberg, 2002) and a racist state (Lentin and McVeigh, 2006), but is also a heavily racially stratified state'
    Like you note, by her metric - which is so narrow minded she could look through a keyhole with both eyes at the same time - means that every nation on earth is a "racial" state and apparently "racist".

Funny that her Nigeria with a population of nearly 200 million has a population of just around 50,000 non Black folks, which includes Asians. Seems like a very racially "pure" place to me. I'll bet the farm yer wan isn't in any hurry to wave the flag of extra White or Asian "diversity" in her home country? Or accuse them of being a racial and racist state. Oh no, yet again as bloody usual it's only the pale of face that seem to require and be in some odd dire need of this "diversity". Well they know the Asian cultures would almost certainly ignore them as a badly told joke, or tell them to plainly fcuk off. We should take their example to heart.

I'd love to know where this bollocks kicked off. I suspect European colonies like the US and others where as a result of the slave trade and being generally utter dicks to Black Africans, the White guilt thing kicked off. Add in the quite right mass protests in the 1960's of people looking for a sniff of the American Dream(tm) denied to them for the most part which roused White America to look like it was doing more. Sprinkle liberally with the integration and education drives(which as current US events show were mostly lip service) and this vague notion of melting pot diversity was born and for some bloody reason has been imported wholesale to places in Europe as an appeasement and panacea for completely different issues.

And of course it sounds all great an' all, but as we've all noted from the true believers in the politic, it has remarkably, hell, scarily little logical argument in its favour.

And for the cherry on top we have to listen to out for themselves and their wallets carpetbaggers like this so called "professor" and NGO's and other vested interests berating Irish people for their too White nation and quite happy to berate our cultural heritage with their ballsology. Today it's a few non slavery connected statues, but this is the thin end of the wedge for these pricks. And again they'd be strangely quiet about their own cultural heritage. I doubt yer wan would be calling for the melting down and removal of Yoruba pottery and metalwork from Nigeria's history, even though the Oyo Empire was one of the single largest suppliers of slaves to the Atlantic and Arabic slave traders. Oh no(and for a nice change she'd be right). Again it's just bad bad whitey and I'm getting bloody sick of this utter scutter. Whatever about the naive and genuinely decent folks who see all this as the right thing to do, mostly out of ignorance of wider pictures, I'm even more sick of the local vested interest quislings that support them. Away to perdition with the lot of them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Binary? From the lad who calls anyone who disagrees with him a racist or far / alt right? We’re just waiting for the ‘worse that Stormfront’ reference to complete the set.

Seriously dude? Stay off the solvents.

But you see I don't call anyone who disagrees with me alt right etc. Rodney, but that doesn't stop you saying it of course. I also didn't refuse to acknowledge that criticism was due to the woman for not being well informed, in fact I made that point, but again you insist otherwise.

Binary? you're basically arguing that black is white, but you're nearly always here and you'll keep saying it, you might even have yourself convinced at this stage and you're accusing me of being on the solvents. :pac:.

It usually ends up with yellow cards and thread suspensions with you as you almost always descend into petty arguing and deliberately misrepresenting what others say or downright lie about what others say. Pointless utterly pointless, but you'll keep trying won't you :D

On you go pal, you're nearly always here so have the last word even though what you say is erroneous and pointless, it appears to be very important to you.

But you see I don't call anyone who disagrees with me alt right etc. Rodney, but that doesn't stop you saying it of course. I also didn't refuse to acknowledge that criticism was due to the woman for not being well informed, in fact I made that point, but again you insist otherwise.

Binary? you're basically arguing that black is white, but you're nearly always here and you'll keep saying it, you might even have yourself convinced at this stage and you're accusing me of being on the solvents. :pac:.

It usually ends up with yellow cards and thread suspensions with you as you almost always descend into petty arguing and deliberately misrepresenting what others say or downright lie about what others say. Pointless utterly pointless, but you'll keep trying won't you :D

On you go pal, you're nearly always here so have the last word even though what you say is erroneous and pointless, it appears to be very important to you.

You started this post with a lie and it still manages to go further downhill from there.

If I search your posts in this thread how many references to far / alt right and racist will I find?

If you don’t want me to respond to your tripe then stop quoting me and stop mentioning me by name in your posts that don’t quote me.

As long as you continue to do either I will respond, mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'm even more sick of the local vested interest quislings that support them. Away to perdition with the lot of them.

I know a few BLM activists in Ireland. All are social welfare cheats and in general full of hatred.

There's a huge dishonesty to these SJW types. I don't believe it's as simple as them virtue signalling to hide the fact they're terrible people. There's something else to it but I can't put my finger on it. But I can tell you it's not about them caring about other people.

• Advertisement

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I know a few BLM activists in Ireland. All are social welfare cheats and in general full of hatred.

There's a huge dishonesty to these SJW types. I don't believe it's as simple as them virtue signalling to hide the fact they're terrible people. There's something else to it but I can't put my finger on it. But I can tell you it's not about them caring about other people.

I think they need to feel superior to others to hide their self loathing as they realise deep down how pathetic and pointless their ‘causes’ are, and by extension their lives which are so tied to these causes.

heldel00 wrote: »

I hope this expert was 'Black' or Ebun will not be pleased! She also stated that it doesn't matter if they weren't slaves, they are fetishistic, and symbolic of the servile nature Of Blacks in the racist country of Ireland, particularly since they are in front of a hotel that is predominantly used by rich Whites. :rolleyes:

So we have incredibly rich corporate Americans wanting to virtue signal to court publicity (although the attention they got was probably not quite what they intended) and incredibly racist individuals wanting to back them up (I mean this literally, that is racial prejudice or discrimination, not the fake racism in Ebun, Ronit Lentin, or Robbie McVeigh's writing). There's a couple of other social justice activists who were attempting to bandwagon here, but they are relatively harmless I think.

Are there any lessons to be learned from this escapade? For me I think it was disquieting to see how much a minor issue can be taken over by vocal fringe groups. The fringe groups on the far-right are given no air time. Okay, fair enough. However you have a bigot like Ebun who came to dominate this debate for one side. Maybe the fact that the usual populists like Sinn Fein didn't touch this, so it left a vacuum to be filled with the sloppy expediency of academia-greenhoused pundits.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,371 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

:pac: mickdw? Is that you Michael McDowell

I wish i had his money but im flattered to be confused with the Senator and widely respected SC Mcdowell with a previous career as attorney General, Minister for Justice and Deputy Prime Minister as well as having a big hand in forming the PD party.
    A real loser for sure.

You started this post with a lie and it still manages to go further downhill from there.

No I didn't, but that won't stop you saying otherwise cos you're the one that's lying.
    If I search your posts in this thread how many references to far / alt right and racist will I find?

Yeah, so what, that doesn't mean that I say that about everyone that disagrees with me which is what you are lying about.
    If you don’t want me to respond to your tripe then stop quoting me and stop mentioning me by name in your posts that don’t quote me.

As long as you continue to do either I will respond, mate.

You're nearly always here as I said mate, so that's why you'll continue to respond, cos you're nearly always here.

It's Friday night Rodney, go ahead have the last word there :pac: .......

mickdw wrote: »
    I wish i had his money but im flattered to be confused with the Senator and widely respected SC Mcdowell with a previous career as attorney General, Minister for Justice and Deputy Prime Minister as well as having a big hand in forming the PD party.
    A real loser for sure.

He's a loser in the one game that he wanted to win in the most. When he took over the leadership of the PDs they became defunct along with his career as a frontline politician. He's a loser in that game for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I'm looking forward to Ebun Joseph being on the Late Late in a few weeks time telling Ireland how racist it is with Tubridy genuflecting and self flagellating in front of her apologising for what's we've put her through.

Glazers Out!

Some of us have a life and have other pursuits. you're nearly always camped out on here by the looks of it, so you'll undoubtedly get the last word, congratulations :pac:

Writing 'I have a life unlike you' in the closing part of a debate is standard parlance among those who have been utterly trounced.

No I didn't, but that won't stop you saying otherwise cos you're the one that's lying.

Yeah, so what, that doesn't mean that I say that about everyone that disagrees with me which is what you are lying about.

You're nearly always here as I said mate, so that's why you'll continue to respond, cos you're nearly always here.

Nice backtracking bro, I don’t need to do that search then, cheers.

Writing 'I have a life unlike you' in the closing part of a debate is standard parlance among those who have been utterly trounced.

Nah, I disagree. It just means what it says. What invariably happens with Rodney is cards invariably get dished out so it becomes pointless arguing with him, along with the fact that he's basically saying I'm saying things that I never said at all. I don't see how that translates to being "trounced", in fact the opposite is the case I would say.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Nice backtracking bro, I don’t need to do that search then, cheers.
    OK, drop it now - if you wish to respond to each other further please don't bother as it's likely to escalate to a situation where formal sanctions will follow

Advertisement