Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shelbourne Hotel remove historic statues due to association with slavery - *Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

In the case in question there's the planning process, which was actually circumvented by the hotel owners. As a listed building they should have applied for permission to change the front, but they did not do so.

This is good news, isn’t it, for other people who have purchased a listed building and who have been refused permission to install double gazing/Put a light over the front door? Planning decisions can just be ignored?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If we could keep the traveller talk out of this thread

This is the Shelbourne after all

• Registered Users Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The best thing you can do with these types is deny them the oxygen. Drives them crazy, then when they get all upset and frustrated their true colors and motivation shows.

Also, if I’m a businessman who say was based in Galway, came to Dublin monthly, splashing out on a nice room in a certain hotel... I might say on principal ... “ ok, heard good things about the Westin in Westmorland St actually, I’ll relocate.“

Illegal for the hotel to change its own decorations? Do people not even pretend to read the stories before a kneejerk reaction?

They are now protected structures by law, so yes, illegal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They are now protected structures by law, so yes, illegal.
    Indeed. The "kneejerk" ignorance around this matter is plain to see. From a few sides. Depends on one's primary position of course.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭elli21

Kivaro wrote: »
    Yes it is.
    Statue .............of a black ................ woman.
    But we sense your outrage.[/QUOTW

who is we you talk about?

The only outrage I see on this forum is about those of us that live in council houses...apparently we don't the fathers of our children..

How for the love of all things sacred Has this thread not morphed into Sweden ?

As a wise man once said "I love the poorly educated "

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

elli21 wrote: »

A very wise man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Yes it is.
    Statue .............of a black ................ woman.
    But we sense your outrage.[/QUOTW

who is we you talk about?

The only outrage I see on this forum is about those of us that live in council houses...apparently we don't the fathers of our children..

:confused:

:confused:

Are you confused?

This so called "We" are right.

Out of my 27 kids I could only find 23 this morning,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yeah still confused to be fair. Like what the hell are you talking about confused. :confused:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yeah still confused to be fair. Like what the hell are you talking about confused. :confused:

Wtf are you doing there being confused? Help them find the other 4 ffs.

Not following the threads on this forum ...are you

The threads are about black and those who live in Council house's

As a Mod ...do keep up

Wtf are you doing there being confused? Help them find the other 4 ffs.

TBF I live in a council house,,so I will according to Boards be a whore and replace the missing 4...no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

TBF I live in a council house,,so I will according to Boards be a whore and replace the missing 4...no bother

You are in a fine mood this morning. Cheer up, it’s a lovely day. Don’t let strangers on the internet stress you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Wow the little right wingers on here have taken the ball and run with it on this. Enjoy the echo chamber kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

As a Mod ...do keep up

Of the current 19 threads on this forum:

4 are about US politics (one of which features BLM)
    3 are about Irish politics (SF, FG, and GP respectively)
    2 are talking about big tech
    2 are talking about child abduction/molestation
    2 are talking about white women getting pilloried for acting like idiots online (Gemma O'Doherty and JK Rowling)
    1 about gangland violence
    1 about Brexit
    1 about the rape of a woman with Altzeimers by a black guy
    1 about revocation of citizenship relating to crime (somewhat related to the one above)
    1 about live exports
    and this thread

Yup, Council house's. Could we just not talk about them for two minutes like.

Also is that (blacks in council houses), (black and council houses), or (blacks, and council houses) that you are talking about? Because I've seen no mention of black council houses, or blacks in council houses at all.

I'm not really sure what this has to do with the Shelbourne.
    jackboy wrote: »
    You are in a fine mood this morning. Cheer up, it’s a lovely day. Don’t let strangers on the internet stress you out.

I dunno, the rhyme cheered me up anyway.

As a Mod ...do keep up
    What in God's holy name are you going on about now?? :confused:This thread, y'know the one about the removal of statues from a protected building because of accusations of racism attached to the statues(which turn out to be nonsense) is bugger all to do with people in council houses, or 27 kids, or for some my god the acid has just kicked in references to Sweden? Like absolutely nothing.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Wow the little right wingers on here have taken the ball and run with it on this. Enjoy the echo chamber kids.
    So - and as usual - the only "argument" put forward is to avoid any other points raised and fall back on the same twist on the theme of "racists/right wingers/echo chamber"? At least you are consistent, but it does your position no favours to be constantly and I do mean constantly lacking in points or cogent argument.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

TheCitizen wrote: »

You have it the wrong way around-you're the extremist wing trapped in an echo chamber gazing at the normal reasonable people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MFPM

Welcome to the democratic process and the will of the people. Unless you want to run for autocrat of the Most holy Order of the Right On party? I'm endlessly amused by both the hard right and hard left's disgust at the electorate when they vote against their politic, while concomitantly feeling so confident in the "will of the people" that they deign to speak for them given the opportunity.

I wish someone would. When a so called qualified individual doesn't seem to understand even basic *trigger warning* facts and yet is so hellbent on repeating them then yeah I'll judge it alright.

Yes, such a shrinking violet she is. rarely seen and heard around these matters.
    Welcome to the democratic process and the will of the people.

Yep, still doesn't make it right!
    Unless you want to run for autocrat of the Most holy Order of the Right On party?

No need, it's inevitable the legislation will be changed without recouse to referendum.
    I'm endlessly amused by both the hard right and hard left's disgust at the electorate when they vote against their politic, while concomitantly feeling so confident in the "will of the people" that they deign to speak for them given the opportunity.

You clearly confusing me with someone else.
    I wish someone would

Split personality disorder? :)
    Unless you want to run for autocrat of the Most holy Order of the Right On party?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MFPM

Of course there is potential, to state otherwise is a nonsensical fallacy. On that note, it's best if we disengage, Adieu.

There isn't, you seem quite ignorant around the ethics of acadmia.

Now before you run away completely...
    OK, let's test that, tell you what ...re post your original post under your own name and address, I will send it to Dr Joseph and see if she would like to take some action against you....

Any chance of this happening, oh brave one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Got blocked myself today, badge of honour you might say

The Dr creating an eco chamber

What in God's holy name are you going on about now?? :confused:This thread, y'know the one about the removal of statues from a protected building because of accusations of racism attached to the statues(which turn out to be nonsense) is bugger all to do with people in council houses, or 27 kids, or for some my god the acid has just kicked in references to Sweden? Like absolutely nothing.
    Strange that the rest of the forum knows what I speack about but you fail to comprehend

So - and as usual - the only "argument" put forward is to avoid any other points raised and fall back on the same twist on the theme of "racists/right wingers/echo chamber"? At least you are consistent, but it does your position no favours to be constantly and I do mean constantly lacking in points or cogent argument.

I’ve said what I wanted to say on this.

I’ve been busy and after checking back in I can see the same cabal rehashing and regurgitating the same arguments over and over and thanking each other. Your one the Doctor has put her foot in it and come across ill informed but the usual lot on here really have taken that opportunity to go to town on her and by extension anything else that is described as Woke that they really really hate.

The circle jerk is on rapid mode. If it wasn’t for me and one or two others the echo chamber would be complete on here and you’d end up just wibbling away into obscurity. You should be “Thanking” me for doing yis a service. LOL.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    The Dr creating an eco chamber

A mirror image of what this place is turning into.

sabat wrote: »
    You have it the wrong way around-you're the extremist wing trapped in an echo chamber gazing at the normal reasonable people.

Lollers don’t think so mate.

Yeah no agenda there to presume I must be on acid.Finished a 14 hr shift in a care home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Yeah no agenda there to presume I must be on acid.Finished a 14 hr shift in a care home

Impressive. But not really relevant. Do you have anything to contribute to the discussion about the removal of statues from the Shelbourne?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Maybe a sleep would help?

Advertisement