Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shelbourne Hotel remove historic statues due to association with slavery - *Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭storker

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I am predicing that one of the statues will be soon stolen. They have been there for 150 years and were narely noticed and just ignored and taken for granted by most people. Now with their notoriety people will definitely want to check them out and will now be viewed more carefully and finally appreciated. Eventually and unfortunately however someone will want and take one as they are clearly very valuable and beautiful and wonder should they create casts while down so replicates can be made if needed?

Working (pre-COVID) not far from there, I never took them for granted but always admired them as I walked past, both as works of art and exquisite representations of the female form. But I suppose that just counts as objectifying women...

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

storker wrote: »
    Working (pre-COVID) not far from there, I never took them for granted but always admired them as I walked past, both as works of art and exquisite representations of the female form. But I suppose that just counts as objectifying women...

That seems to be less than an aside in the discussion, they’re actually really beautiful pieces of sculpture. I photographed them last year after taking a moment to look at them in a bit more depth. Their removal would be an aesthetic loss to the area for sure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Thats fair enough, though you can hardly blame her for being entrenched given the entrenched views on display here. Your issue I suppose is the view that she is entrenched on.
    Not really, my issue is that she's milking it for all it's worth and has done almost since she landed in this country and by doing so is creating more problems than solutions.
    The issue of illegal economic migration is a loaded one in the sense that this can only be one way, almost by definition there cant be economic migration from the rich country to the poor country, never mind illegally so. Only the other way around. As was the case for the 10 million odd who emigrated from Ireland between 1800 and 1990.
    And again the old argument of "well the Irish emigrated". Indeed they did but they A) did so in the vast majority of cases to colony nations founded and fostered upon emigration itself and B) they had almost no social safety nets beyond charity and C) unskilled labour was far more in play.
    Take your point completely on ghettoisation, its the last thing anyone needs, there are enough case studies out there to show what a cluster**** it becomes in society, and the way direct provision is structured thats most definitely where we are heading.
    Direct provision will have little influence on any outcomes in immigrant communities. This is a major issue I have with the pro diversity side; they seem to have zero clue about human nature or they believe the 1960's idea that human nature is a construct and through nurture can change, so this time we'll get it right if only we work at it.* It doesn't work that way and never has.

People naturally flock together with others most like them in race, culture, creed and financial status. It's what people do. We are a tribal social animal. Very tribal and history shows this most clearly time and time and time again. Indeed it's hard to find a historical event that isn't tribal in nature. Look at every single multicultural society in history and pretty much all of them play out the same way. You find Irish/Jewish/African/Chinese/Italian/etc/White/Black/Yellow quarters and neighbourhoods. And that happens no matter what the politics of the society is. You can't plan this out of people, because it's who we are. You may as well try to "cure" sexuality.

*This nature/nurture angle also tends to follow political viewpoints quite closely. The Left are far more on the nurture/society is a construct side, the right that nature is more in play and get the horn for, but don't understand survival of the fittest. Both tend to take it to extremes.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

TomTomTim wrote: »

I love the way she expects us to bend over backwards to suit her . The Irish taxpayer is actually paying her so she can tell us how racist we are . Western society is becoming a joke pandering to idiots like her. I wonder has she any comment on all the feral blacks gangs around Dublin at the minute or are they all victims of hundreds of years of slavery and oppression ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Who in UCD decided it was a good idea to put this dolt in front of students so she can poison their minds? The only strings she has to her bow is that she's black and she's angry. She doesn't even seem to like Ireland all that much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

Yurt! wrote: »
    Who in UCD decided it was a good idea to put this dolt in front of students so she can poison their minds? The only strings she has to her bow is that she's black and she's angry. She doesn't even seem to like Ireland all that much.

Judging by the world at the moment " black and angry" is very fashionable. Our reaction to it is the post-Christian equivalent of doing penance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Sure.

There is an Irish lady living in Australia since 2002, and she will run for Australia at the Olympics next year.

Can you imagine her being told that there is nothing Australian about her except the letters on her passport. But you think its ok to do that.

You could ask her -

“I thought I would run for Ireland. I’m Irish after all. But then Athletics Ireland changed their qualifying time for Beijing to 45 seconds faster than my time from Melbourne. It was upsetting and I took it a bit personally.“

Legally she qualifies to run for Australia. They gave her a place on their team and fund her athletics career. But she sees herself as Irish, as you would expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I'm sure there are plenty in the staff room who finish up their avocado toast once they see her enter the lunch room. Who would enjoy being called a racist on a Monday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭bloopy

I'm sure there are plenty in the staff room who finish up their avocado toast once they see her enter the lunch room. Who would enjoy being called a racist on a Monday morning?

Fetishists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

She is showing a lot of similarities to Gemma o Doherty. She is gradually getting more extreme over time. She is aggressive and abusive towards anyone that doesn’t agree with her. She will not debate with an open mind.

Scary to think how extreme she is showing the signs of becoming in the future. I’m sure she is getting close to being not considered for media interviews. Like o Doherty, that could be when things get totally out of control for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Where else could she spout about racism and get paid for it. If she really cared about black people , there's plenty of humanity projects to be done in africa instead she'll take the tax payers money and a cushy little number in UCD spouting rubbish . If them " slave " statues bother her so much , why doesn't she go back to Africa where theres present day slavery taking place and do something about it. But no , it a lot easier to take the white man's money and turn around and call him racist

https://qz.com/africa/1333946/global-slavery-index-africa-has-the-highest-rate-of-modern-day-slavery-in-the-world/

Africa just recorded the highest rate of modern-day enslavement in the world.

Armed conflict, state-sponsored forced labor, and forced marriages were the main causes behind the estimated 9.2 million Africans who live in servitude without the choice to do so, according to the 2018 Global Slavery Index. And despite these practices being widespread, slavery has remained a largely invisible issue, in part, because it disproportionately affects the most marginalized members of society, such as minorities, women, and children.

Slavery was especially prevalent in Eritrea and Mauritania, where slavery has even been, at times, an institutionalized practice. In Eritrea, for instance, the one-party state of president Isaias Afwerki has overseen a notorious national conscription service accused of drafting citizens for an indefinite period, contributing to the wave of refugees fleeing the country. Workers that have claimed that they were forced to work in the nation’s first modern mine are also currently suing the Vancouver-based mining company Nevsun that owns a majority stake in the mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I always admired the Shelbourne and its statues as a reminder that we once built things that weren't souless dog**** like everything we've put up in my lifetime

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Bambi wrote: »
    I always admired the Shelbourne and its statues as a reminder that we once built things that weren't souless dog**** like everything we've put up in my lifetime

Just a stunning hotel all around, service, food, architecture, standards. They nailled down a certain way of doing things and appealing to a discerning clientele and they haven't needed to change that for a century.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Bambi wrote: »

What did the Brits ever do for us?

We have built nice things since independence such as the social housing flat buildings in Dublin put up in the 1930s and the old terminal building in Dublin Airport from 1940 odd but everything since is pure ghastly.

I see the statues are making a triumphant return. The perpetually offended have gotten their way.

Anyone else notice how so many people misunderstand the word "offended" and don't know how to use it? Like if you have an opinion on something and think it's stupid or whatever, people try to claim you're offended by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Just a stunning hotel all around, service, food, architecture, standards. They nailled down a certain way of doing things and appealing to a discerning clientele and they haven't needed to change that for a century.

The hotel is now part of a large US multi hotel chain. I've seen in Rome where a similar hotel was taken over and reduced to a bus lounge for trolly wheeling bus tour clientele.

Personally I suspect the present cultural vandals owners took the opportunity to jump on the old race bandwagon after learning exactly how valuable these pieces of art were. Interestingly the wording regarding the return of the stautes of high born Egyptian women was described in some reports as being 'shipped back" - shipped back from where exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Anyone else notice how so many people misunderstand the word "offended" and don't know how to use it? Like if you have an opinion on something and think it's stupid or whatever, people try to claim you're offended by it.

I'm offended that you are offended by that! :mad:

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

That modern day slavery in Africa link is an eye opener.

I knew some African belief systems and Islam have some sort of tolerance of slavery (not sure of full details) but this seems to be regardless of creed.

Shocking. I didn’t realize how bad the problem is.

African’s inhumanity to fellow Africans.

What I can’t help wondering is why isn’t doctor ebun screaming from the roof tops about this?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

What I can’t help wondering is why isn’t doctor ebun screaming from the roof tops about this?

If she could find an argument to blame white people, she would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

I knew some African belief systems and Islam have some sort of tolerance of slavery (not sure of full details) but this seems to be regardless of creed.

Because she's a racist hate monger who has no business being in the Country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Acosta wrote: »
    A lot of it reads the same as they behave on twitter. There's a stench of the fash around here at the moment. Maybe because some have had their social media activities restricted on other platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Acosta

Yamanoto wrote: »

Lol. A right thug he was too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Should the statue be painted white or maybe pink or maybe rainbow colours so they can never be offended, we could do one of each.....

Ebun is an absolute fruit cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Ebun is now on nationwide calling us all racist. She claims she’s been overlooked by many jobs purely because of her skin colour. Even though UCD basically created a module for her to teach.

No mention or question as to why or how she originally came to Ireland even though she is saying she wants truth and justice.

If she got the truth and justice she claims to want, she would be questioned about her asylum claim, asked as to why she withdrew it and instead got leave to remain under the IBC scheme Minister McDowell introduced after the citizenship referendum.

Instead she calls the very man who issued her with leave to remain in the state, a racist over some statues that have nothing to do with slavery. A very gracious and grateful individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Be right back

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    Ebun is now on nationwide calling us all racist. She claims she’s been overlooked by many jobs purely because of her skin colour. Even though UCD basically created a module for her to teach.

No mention or question as to why or how she originally came to Ireland even though she is saying she wants truth and justice.

If she got the truth and justice she claims to want, she would be questioned about her asylum claim, asked as to why she withdrew it and instead got leave to remain under the IBC scheme Minister McDowell introduced after the citizenship referendum.

Instead she calls the very man who issued her with leave to remain in the state, a racist over some statues that have nothing to do with slavery. A very gracious and grateful individual.

Why do RTE continue to give her airtime?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

In their heads the see her as some sort of spokesperson for "the black community"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

In their heads the see her as some sort of spokesperson for "the black community"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Unfortunately the woke are gaining a very strong voice..... 2020 has been one very worrying year and not just because of covid....

Advertisement