Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

League of Ireland players to take a knee upon restart

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

So we're agreed then; this is coming entirely from Phibsboro's St.Pauli wannabes and no other club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

What a load of rubbish! Pure American shiite doing this

• Site Banned Posts: 64 ✭✭Montageofhell

Omackeral wrote: »
    Imagine supporting your own teams. Weird concept, isn't it?

Seems to be. So few supporters appear to show up. More embarrassing supporting teams in England though. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Taking a knee here or in the UK is stupid symbolism. It started as a way to give respect to the US flag and anthem while still making a point. So partly is about protesting for BLM, and partly about the US flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Box ticking, virtue signalling exercise. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

It's the board pushing that agenda more than the fans. It actually alienates some of the people there who just want to go to watch bloody football and care not a jot for political stances.

i'm also a bohs fan , me and kids went for years to the home games. I liked the family friendly ethos of the club.
    But the club in recent years have pushed the far left agenda and it's not for me anymore.

Admittedly it was always there but it wasn't in my face and i could enjoy the football without it being political.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

paw patrol wrote: »
    i'm also a bohs fan , me and kids went for years to the home games. I liked the family friendly ethos of the club.
    But the club in recent years have pushed the far left agenda and it's not for me anymore.

Admittedly it was always there but it wasn't in my face and i could enjoy the football without it being political.

Become a Shels supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Definitely the right choice for people interested in unpopular minorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

stranger things have happened.

I liked the craic of the live games

and maybe few pints on occasion and the kids always got to hit the golden chip on the way back.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

There's no need to accuse the league of importing "American racism" when we have problems in that department of our own.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/we-have-been-traumatised-asylum-seekers-in-a-kerry-direct-provision-centre-on-hunger-strike-in-protest-at-inhumane-conditions-39403971.html

This thread and the people complaining about this gesture reek of white privilege.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

paw patrol wrote: »
    stranger things have happened.

I liked the craic of the live games

and maybe few pints on occasion and the kids always got to hit the golden chip on the way back.

:D

How did any of that change though?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

There's no need to accuse the league of importing "American racism" when we have problems in that department of our own.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/we-have-been-traumatised-asylum-seekers-in-a-kerry-direct-provision-centre-on-hunger-strike-in-protest-at-inhumane-conditions-39403971.html

This thread and the people complaining about this gesture reek of white privilege.

Surprised that it took so many post before someone mentioned 'white privilege'. Can you even have 'white privilege' when the indigenous population is white and the society is 96% white as a whole?

This is pure virtue signaling. And is it even required; there is already a high profile UEFA-wide anti-racism campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Here's a slogan for your T-shirts: "Don't be a slave to the BLM agenda!"

See what I did there... :P

This is pure virtue signaling. And is it even required; there is already a high profile UEFA-wide anti-racism campaign.
    England. More than 150 football-related racist incidents were reported to police last season, Home Office figures show, a rise of more than 50% on the year before and more than double the number from three seasons ago.

In August 2019, Romelu Lukaku was racially abused by Calgiari opposition fans.[96] He later said that the sport was "going backwards" on racism.[97] An Inter fan group called Curva Nord later said that the monkey chants from opposition fans were a sign of respect towards Lukaku.[98] Italian TV pundit Luciano Passirani was later banned for making racist comments about Lukaku.[99] On 15 September 2019, Franck Kessie was reportedly racially abused by Hellas Verona fans during a match with AC Milan. On 16 September 2019, Hellas Verona released a statement on their Twitter account and denied the happening.[100] Later that month, Piara Powar of anti-discriminatory body Fare said that "the rot is deep" when discussing racism in Italian football

The Czech soccer league on Thursday fined a club 160,000 Czech crowns ($6,700) after its fans racially abused an opposing player during a cup game, the second such case in a week. The incident occurred June 17 during the game between Sparta Prague and Plzen when a number of fans directed racist insults at Plzen midfielder Joel Kayamba of the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Bulgaria's national soccer team has been ordered by UEFA to play its next home game behind closed doors as punishment for the "racist behavior" of its fans during a Euro 2020 qualifier against England. The Bulgarian Football Union has also been fined $94,000 (€85,000) for the "racist behavior of its supporters and the throwing of objects" and "causing disturbances during a national anthem." $83,000 of the fine was for the "racist behavior."
    And then there's the regular monkey chants heard all across eastern and southern europe that aren't even news worthy they are so common. I'm glad to see the LOI aren't hiding behind 'not our problem'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Zebra3 wrote: »
    How so?

I think he’s suggesting it isn’t great when a football club has its own wing in Mountjoy.

And then there's the regular monkey chants heard all across eastern and southern europe that aren't even news worthy they are so common. I'm glad to see the LOI aren't hiding behind 'not our problem'

How are incidents at matches in Bulgaria, Italy and the Czech Republic anyway relevant to the League of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I wonder will the take the knee celebration be in FIFA

How are incidents at matches in Bulgaria, Italy and the Czech Republic anyway relevant to the League of Ireland?

Because we play in Europe every summer, it's truly an international game nowadays so why turn a blind eye? It's going to affect an Irish club or international player sooner or later

The first line about the big increase in incidents is from England btw

Because we play in Europe every summer, it's truly an international game nowadays so why turn a blind eye? It's going to affect an Irish club or international player sooner or later

The first line about the big increase in incidents is from England btw

Yeah, England, another foreign country.

Why not focus protests here on all the people left on trolleys in hospitals instead? Why do we turn a blind eye to that issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Lesnar Defender

The only other leagues that have done this (as far as I am aware) are the US and the UK. So our league doing it makes perfect sense considering we are desperate to copy everything else from the US and UK

Yeah, England, another foreign country.

Why not focus protests here on all the people left on trolleys in hospitals instead? Why do we turn a blind eye to that issue?
    A country with a big influence here, that had a very good record on racism that is quickly getting worse.

Off you go then, write up the email to the FAI asking them to consider all the football players around Europe being left on trolleys. Or is this just a cheap excuse for you to knock other people actually getting off their ass and doing something?

A country with a big influence here, that had a very good record on racism that is quickly getting worse.

Off you go then, write up the email to the FAI asking them to consider all the football players around Europe being left on trolleys. Or is this just a cheap excuse for you to knock other people actually getting off their ass and doing something?

Nobody is doing anything worthwhile.

It's bandwagoning.

Like all the idiots who changed their fb profile to incorporate the French flag after attacks in Paris.

If those running the league cared so much about BLM, why wasn't this a thing last year or at the start of the season?

It's being done because someone thinks it's cool, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

That’s Bohs, they say everyone welcome, while calling Alan Mannus a dirty orange bstard for 90 mins everytime they play Rovers. Racism bad, Sectarianism grand.
    Alan Mannus was born in Canada, last year some of the fantastic angry young men shouted at Michael O'Connor go home you Orange bastard, he is from Dundalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Not to mention bananas being thrown on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

The League of Ireland starts back this weekend after being on hiatus due to the pandemic. I read the other day that players and officials will ''take the knee'' in solidarity with BLM for the first 8 games of the restart. What's your thoughts on this?

I watched Match of the Day on Sunday and they literally showed every knee-take from every fixture. It seemed a little overkill if I'm honest. However, England and English football has had it's fair share of racism issues. It's not really soemthing we have in the game here. So do you see this as a decent gesture? Sincere? Do you see it as necessary? Bandwagon virtue signalling?

I'm a Bohs fan and our board have seen us lean left on plenty of issues with Refugess Welcome on the jersey etc and, while it doesn't bother me too much, I'd hate to openly have the cheek to have a dissenting opinion. The players are told they may take a knee if they want to but I can only imagine the backlash if they didn't. What's your opinion?

Of course they should be taking the knee, given our long and well-documented Irish history of perpetrating racism against black people.obviously with the likes of trocaire and direct provision as tools we use to abuse foreigners.

How so?

It was a joke, dude. Not like any domestic club can boast gigantic attendances.

You can see why the Shels support bring to mind the Behan axiom about the first agenda being on a republican party meeting agenda is the split.

obviously with the likes of trocaire and direct provision as tools we use to abuse foreigners.

I feel so much better now about swiping the odd quid out of the Trocaire box as a kid to buy sweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Well they went one worse, a little blast of Bob Marley’s “Twee little Birds” before they took the knee there at oriel. Yeh mon :o can only have been at bohs behest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You'd be a brave player to NOT take the knee before games, it's so orchestrated.

Your career would be over.

So just do what you're told.

Advertisement